SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE, Season 7 Starts May 27th

iluvmybags

& My Motos & Shoes!
O.G.
Sep 13, 2006
It's not that far away and they're already generating interest in this summer's Season 7 of SYTYCD

http://www.eonline.com/uberblog/wat..._this_just_in_changes_afoot_on_you_think.html

This Just In: Changes Afoot on So You Think You Can Dance

So You Think You Can Dance: Oh, Nigel Lythgoe, you are a crafty one. The dance competition's host, executive producer and all-around fun guy has been
tweeting up a storm the past few days about all the "shocking changes" happening on season seven.

So what exactly are we in store for? And most important, will these changes be for the better? Here's what Nigel has revealed:

"Only one dancer will leave the competition each week and not two," Nigel tweets. Dun-dun-dun—wait, that actually sounds great! "Another rule change for SYTYCD this coming Season," he adds, "the partners will change every single week." Ohhh, interesting.

And finally, "This Season will not have a top 20. The pieces are falling into place. More tomorrow."

We're hanging out with the SYTYCD crew this weekend and plan on getting to the bottom of all this newness, but if you have any burning Q's, send them our way.

Wait!! How can only ONE dancer leave each week? That would leave an uneven number of dancers/pairs - what would happen to the "odd man out"? Would one of the dancers have to dance twice? Do hey have someone to stand in to dance with this person? I don't see how that could work :shrugs:

And no Top 20?? What will it be - Top 10? 12? 30? :confused1:

Details, details -- we need more info please!!!

I kind of like the partners staying partnered because they build a relationship that's fun to watch. Sometimes though the pairings are mistakes and hurt the individuals chances of winning (Nathan and Mollee from season 6 for example). I'm confused too how only one dancer will leave each week.

So apparently, Nigel's been announcing changes in the show on a daily basis from his Twitter page.

To recap --

First rule change. Only one dancer will leave the competition each week and not two. Many more changes to come by the end of this week.

Another rule change for SYTYCD this coming Season. The partners will change every single week.

This Season will not have a top 20. The peices are falling into place. More tomorrow.

And here's the latest . . . .

CHANGE-The competitors will no longer choose their genres of dance. I'll explain everything before the SYTYCD Press Conference on Monday!

It sounds like they're going to focus more on the individual dancers rather than pairs -
Guess we'll have to wait until Monday to get the rest of the details!!
Stay Tuned!

I have to say, I kinda like the idea for the new season! I wonder who some of the "All Stars" might be? Who would you guys like to see back this season?

http://www.eonline.com/uberblog/watch_with_kristin/b173978_you_think_you_can_dance_boss_reveals.html

So You Think You Can Dance Boss Reveals All-Star Twist

Nigel Lythgoe, you are a sly little minx. You have been dancing around the news that there will be big changes coming up on this season of So You Think You Can Dance. What with your tweets and all. Well, no more! Finally, we were able to get the scoop on how the SYTYCD mastermind is not "letting things get stale" on the seventh season, and we gotta say, it's pretty cool.

Here's the scoop from Nigel himself…

We know that partners will be changing every week, and we know that each week only one dancer is going home. Fans have been up in arms trying to figure out how that would be possible. They cried blasphemy! Well, Nigel has found a way to do just that and then some...

Each week, the contestants will be partnered with a So You Think You Can Dance All-Star! Which means, favorites from past seasons will be back. All-Stars will be put into a "pool," as Nigel called it, during a conference call this morning, and that's how partners and routines are decided. "Instead of drawing the genre of dance out of a hat, contestants will draw a photograph of one of the All-Stars, and that will dictate the genre that they will be dancing." Cool, huh? (P.S.: Smash Mouth's "All Star" has been stuck in our heads all morning. And now you can't stop singing it to yourself, right? Ha!)

Let's break this down. There will be a top ten coming out of Vegas, and each week, contestants will have a different All-Star partner and a different genre to dance. The partner changes each week, as does the type of dancing that is performed. After the performance, the All-Star leaves the stage, and it is just the contestant left to face the judges. "This will be the first time ever, apart from their solos, that they will walk forward alone to be judged," says Nigel.

Wonder how exactly these All-Stars were picked? Us too. "They had to be dominant in their genre, because they are the ones who are going to dictate what competitors are going to dance," he explains. As an example, he uses season-four runner-up, Stephen "Twitch" Boss. "You wouldn't want to do ballroom with him, particularly."

But while these changes will surely shake up season seven, some rules will stay the same. America will still vote and decide on the bottom three, and the judges will still have them dance their solos. So, for those of you shaking and hugging yourself in fear of change, rest assured, the foundation of the show is still there. There will still be crazy-awesome dancing, and Mary Murphy will continue to scream and whoop with joy. "She will be on the panel, and she will be choreographing as well," Nigel says, adding that with the guests judges (Debbie Allen, Lil C, to name a few), there will sometimes be four on the panel.

And what of the white whale that is Paula Abdul coming on as a judge? "I can't think of anybody better than Paula Abdul to judge on this show. Whether it's the right time for her is up to her and her management. I certainly would love her at any point, even if it means having five bloody judges on the show!"

Nigel stayed completely mum on who the All-Stars are and how many there will be, but he did let us know that he will be tweeting the names one at a time over the next couple weeks. What a tease. Well, you might as well put @dizzyfeet on your follow list, pronto!

What say you, gang? Looking forward to new changes on SYTYCD? Or are you a firm believer in, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it?" Although we surely hope you intelligent people don't use the word "ain't." Either way, please share your thoughts and get ready for the two-hour season-seven premiere on May 27!

Last edited:
The new format is going to be interesting. With this format, there isn't going to be any more: "That one's great, but they've got a bad partner."

Maybe that's why Lacey Schwimmer isn't doing Dancing with the Stars this season. Maybe it's because she's one of the All Stars.

I wondered the same thing Caitlin!!
I didn't watch SYTYCD during the season that Lacey was on, so I'd love to see her in her in that environment - they've had some REALLY good ballroom dancers tho, so I wonder if they'd choose someone else besides hers? Maybe Ryan & Ashleigh (from last season). They always raved that he was the best ballroom dancer they ever had on the show.

I was also thinking who else they might choose -- Twitch, obviously as he was mentioned (and named this morning as the first All Star), Joshua, Legacy, Russell, Katee, Kherington - there are so many dancers I'd love to see again!!

I've actually been hoping they'd do an "All Star" season - bring back our favorites to compete against each other. How great of a season would THAT be? I guess this is the next best thing, altho we're not voting for the "All Star." Maybe if this season goes well, they'll do an All Star season

More Good News!! :yahoo:

http://www.eonline.com/uberblog/watch_with_kristin/b173906_this_just_in_you_think_you_can_dance.html

This Just In: So You Think You Can Dance Gets Its Mia Michaels' Groove Back!

So You Think You Can Dance: One teensy, tiny, kinda crucial bit of information not mentioned in yesterday's SYTYCD preview? Mia Michaels is back, baby! Everyone's favorite judge and choreographer will be back in action this season and reclaiming her [throne] seat at the judges table.

In case you've blocked out this painful memory, the Emmy winning Michaels departed her SYTYCD gig suddenly last October, devastating fans and contestants alike.

Also just announced via Nigel Lythgoe's increasingly informative Twitter page is the name of season seven's first all-star, and the lucky dancer is...

Twitch! "I am thrilled that representing the various dance genres of Popping, Locking, Krump etc in the All-Stars Dance-Pool from Season 4 is TWITCH," Nigel tweeted just moments ago.

The next name will be announced tomorrow, right after the SYTYCD mastermind meets with High School Musical's Kenny Ortega to discuss "some really exciting ideas" for future projects. Oh, Nigel, have we told you lately that we love you?

As long as Mark Kanemura comes back as an all star I'm all for it. lol. (Although I doubt it. He's heavily tied to Lady Gaga at the moment and is probably too busy)

Otherwise, why are they trying to reinvent the wheel? Is it because the Fall version was such a bust?

I think they're hoping that by bringing back fan favs -- from seasons when ratings were higher -- that their ratings will go up and they'll gain some new viewers. I guess each season, viewership has gone done and they're trying to regain what it once was.

I think it's a reasonable idea, altho as I said before, I'd rather see a FULL All Star season. Maybe if this one does well, they'll consider it in the future

Oh, btw, the second "All Star" was named today:

Covering the genres of Jazz, Contemporary, Broadway and Cultural, I am delighted to say that we have, from Season 6, .......KATHRYN

After several "April Fool" announcements . . .

I am delighted to name our third "All-Star" she is brilliant at, Tap, Broadway, Jazz and Hip Hop. She only agreed this morning- PAULA ABDUL

He may be leaving "Idol" but he's joining the "AllStars" before his wedding, representing the genres of Wacking and Vogueing- SIMON COWELL

RANDY JACKSON!!!!!! Ha ha! :smile:)

the third "All Star" was finally announced . .

From Season 3 representing Standard and Latin Ballroom PASHA . . .

After several "April Fool" announcements . . .

I am delighted to name our third "All-Star" she is brilliant at, Tap, Broadway, Jazz and Hip Hop. She only agreed this morning- PAULA ABDUL

He may be leaving "Idol" but he's joining the "AllStars" before his wedding, representing the genres of Wacking and Vogueing- SIMON COWELL

RANDY JACKSON!!!!!! Ha ha! :smile:)

the third "All Star" was finally announced . .

From Season 3 representing Standard and Latin Ballroom PASHA . . .

Pasha!!!! That's awesome!