So worried...I could use some advice!!

^ The good thing about neutering is that it's much less invasive than a spay. But I understand the concern about putting small dogs under.

If it's any consolation, I witnessed surgery on a guinea pig! They weigh well under 4-5 pounds. It went just fine (and the poor thing was having his eyeball removed).

Hello all! Thank you for all your advice!

Faye pulled through just fine :smile: I cried when I got in the car after I dropped her off, I was so sad to leave her. But I called at 12, after the surgery, and they said she was fine, so I relaxed a bit. I picked her up at 3:15, and she smothered me with kisses, so I took that as a good sign. She fell asleep in the car, and when I got her home, she curled up into one of her plush huts (I put a big soft black blanket in it with the corner sticking out so that I could cover the entrance, as her sister kept looking in at her). She has been in there since yesterday afternoon, and only came out once to lick SO :smile: I've been sticking a small water bowl in and holding it while she drinks from time to time. Around 7pm last night we tried a few bites of cooked ground lamb, but she only ate a few pieces. I'll see if she comes out later today, and then offer her food again. She has pain meds, which I'm happy about, but they are chewable, so I can't give them to her until she is ready to eat. Usually when Faye is in pain she yelps when I touch her, but she hasn't yelped yet, and I picked her up for a minute this morning to keep her from moving around too much while greeting SO, so I think that is a good sign. She has dissolvable sutures, so no trips back to the vet unless she has a reaction to the pain meds.

The nurses must have thought I was crazy though...I was almost in tears when handing her over to them, and had brought a baggie of supplies for her (her holistic food, her favorite toy, good pure water, a peepee pad, and a shirt that smelled like my SO, because she likes it). I was trying to explain what everything was for, lol. They brought her out later wrapped in the shirt I gave them, which was really sweet :smile:

OMG I know how you feel. Everytime I have to takeone of my dogs to the vet I start crying like a baby. What is that? Anyway, if she does not want to eat try some chicken or lamb baby food, it is super easy on the tummy (sometimes they have nausea from the meds and the anesthetic) plus it is tasty and full of nutrients.

I'm so glad to hear everything went fine. Mine will be spayed and microchipped in a couple of months. Even though it's routine, I'll still be a bit anxious because of the anesthesia because of a bad experience I had with one of my small poms. The current vet keeps them there overnight for observation and specializes in small animals so I'm a bit more at ease.

I'm glad to hear everything went well!! :tup:

I only had to deal with one of my pups being spayed... but let me tell you.. the one time she was in heat the neighbor dog was PLASTERED against the fence 24/7!!!!! LOL!! I was never so glad to get her into surgery! :smile:

I'm glad she is doing well. She's going to be groggy from going through that but she'll be fine. My dog always looks like she's high after she has anesthesia and they have safer anesthesias now than they used to from what I've been told. I have to have her put under for her teeth every year. She always comes home looking all doped up and I feel so awful but it has to be done.