So why is it only okay for some people to force their opinions down your throat....

The point here is not whether high-lo is right or wrong but rather that individuals who favor high-lo go ballistic when someone dares to voice the opinion that a $2 pair of pants don't measure up to the workmanship and quality of a more pricey designer and yet these individuals are not shy to berate and belittle other for spending money on a designer pants much like the self-righteous busybody, whether family member, co-worker or friend who berate you for spening $2000 on designer bags when there are starving children in Africa. I don't see the distinction between buying overpriced designer bags and designer clothes. It's simply a matter of what your budget affords. And if you can't stand to hear someone suggest that $2 pants don't measure up to designer ones how is it that you then feel so free to browbeat anyone with your opinion that anyone who spends more than $2 on pants is foolish. :confused1::shrugs:

I'm kind of confused about this whole thread. I didn't see where anyone said that $2 pants were the same as $200 pants, or even mentioned $2 pants at all. Where do you even get $2 pants? I didn't even see anything in the thread alluded to earlier in this thread, about Wal-Mart/Target, etc. I'm not sure who exactly is "forcing opinions down anyone's throat." :confused1:

I'm kind of confused about this whole thread. I didn't see where anyone said that $2 pants were the same as $200 pants, or even mentioned $2 pants at all. Where do you even get $2 pants? I didn't even see anything in the thread alluded to earlier in this thread, about Wal-Mart/Target, etc. I'm not sure who exactly is "forcing opinions down anyone's throat." :confused1:

I find this whole thread rather ironic seeing who it is coming from. I think most people could care less what other people spend on their clothes? And what pants even cost 2 dollars?

after reading this whole thread, i just have one question for venusfly. can you elaborate on how you had an opinion forced down ur throat? that seems to be the point i missed through this whole thing :confused1:

Wow, this is some thread. I think if you Venusfly want to wear designer clothes and bags that's your perogative and nobody elses business.

I also think that Marcelle is one smart woman.

And those are exactly that, my thoughts and no one elses and I'm really not too concerned as to whether or not anyone agrees or not.

I really enjoy this forum and I think that we are all here because we enjoy a great bag, whether or not we can afford it or not, or whether or not we would spend X amount of money or not. And as it's been said previously maybe we need to take the opinions offered in this forum as exactly that. Opinions.

I've found in my life that once someone believes something there's no use in arguing about it. You might as well try to move Mt. Everest. It's not going to happen. Why waste your time and energy.

Anyhoo, I bought a really great wallet this week. On the advice of somenone in the forum I bought a HOBO clutch from Dillards. I'm going to use it as a wallet. Hehe, it's patent red and so pretty. :woohoo:

Anyone else buy anything this week that they're excited about?

Wow, this is some thread. I think if you Venusfly want to wear designer clothes and bags that's your perogative and nobody elses business.

I also think that Marcelle is one smart woman.

Anyone else buy anything this week that they're excited about?

I agree 100% with the bolded.

The only recent purchase for me was a pair of Isaac Mizrahi pumps at Target on clearance for $7.48. They have leather uppers and out soles and are my new favorite heels. :yahoo:

51wmapppe8lss260ya1.jpg

How on earth does someone who collects $2000 designer purses have the nerve to turn around and berate or call someone foolish for buying designer clothing? How is buying designer clothing any more foolish than buying and collecting $2000 purses? :confused1: My point here is the sheer irony of women who buy designer purses but not designer clothing somehow having this self-righteous attitude about how crazy and foolish it is to buy designer clothing and the fact that they go rabid if someone says that they don't think $2 pants don't measure up but have no problem freely berating others for buying designer clothing? :confused1::shrugs: So for those expousing the joys of $2 pants that's not the issue here really, and frankly whether you feel that your $2 pants are just as good as designer ones is irrelevant and we could simply agree to disagree on that.

How on earth does someone who collects $2000 designer purses have the nerve to turn around and berate or call someone foolish for buying designer clothing? How is buying designer clothing any more foolish than buying and collecting $2000 purses? :confused1: My point here is the sheer irony of women who buy designer purses but not designer clothing somehow having this self-righteous attitude about how crazy and foolish it is to buy designer clothing and the fact that they go rabid if someone says that they don't think $2 pants don't measure up but have no problem freely berating others for buying designer clothing? :confused1::shrugs: So for those expousing the joys of $2 pants that's not the issue here really, and frankly whether you feel that your $2 pants are just as good as designer ones is irrelevant and we could simply agree to disagree on that.

venusfly, please point out exactly where this has happened on the PF. I would LOVE to see it because I have been here for a long time and have never heard anyone come close to saying that it's foolish to buy designer clothing.

If your question is in reference to the response that you received in the thread mentioned by IntlSet - then I can give you an insight into why it is OK for some opinions to spoken more vocally than others (and IMO it is opinions and not people).

You touch upon it when you acknowledge the effect your opinion might have had on others:
.....Don't know whether its naive or just hurt feelings. Guess, I'm the bad guy for daring to say it but deep down you all know its true and that's why it is causing so much anger. People make value judgments all the time. Not saying its right, but you all know its true whether you wish it were otherwise. Sorry, for daring to speak teh truth - wear your Walmart T-'s with your Designer Bags in good health, o.k.

There is an unspoken attitude on this forum that we don't express or tolerate opinions that make people feel bad about themselves for not having/spending as much money as oneself. It is a very fragile status quo to obtain, and any infringement upon it is slapped down immediately. I can quite imagine that this wouldn't be the case in all circles (for example the circles that you allude to in which 'people make value judgements all the time' ) - but I, and I imagine the majority of members on this forum, would want nothing to do with those communities.

Hope this helps.

My point here is the sheer irony of women who buy designer purses but not designer clothing somehow having this self-righteous attitude about how crazy and foolish it is to buy designer clothing and the fact that they go rabid if someone says that they don't think $2 pants don't measure up but have no problem freely berating others for buying designer clothing?

As others have mentioned, I have never seen anyone on this forum say anything at all like that, and certainly not to the extent that they were "berating" someone. Are you talking about people here or IRL?

Personally, I do not have a problem with people wearing expensive designer clothing. I also have do not have a problem with people _not_ wearing expensive designer clothing. I don't think there is anything inherently right or wrong with either approach, or with doing both. Honestly, I often pay attention to what handbag someone is carrying, but usually not to their clothes, but then, I am a little purse-obsessed. I'm sure others would notice the clothes before the bag. Either way, it doesn't seem worth getting too upset about.

The point here is not whether high-lo is right or wrong but rather that individuals who favor high-lo go ballistic when someone dares to voice the opinion that a $2 pair of pants don't measure up to the workmanship and quality of a more pricey designer and yet these individuals are not shy to berate and belittle other for spending money on a designer pants much like the self-righteous busybody, whether family member, co-worker or friend who berate you for spening $2000 on designer bags when there are starving children in Africa. I don't see the distinction between buying overpriced designer bags and designer clothes. It's simply a matter of what your budget affords. And if you can't stand to hear someone suggest that $2 pants don't measure up to designer ones how is it that you then feel so free to browbeat anyone with your opinion that anyone who spends more than $2 on pants is foolish. :confused1::shrugs:

I know what thread you are talking about. I really don't think it was people berating you for believing a $200 pair of pants has better quality than a pair of $2 pants. I think people were upset because your comments sounded snobbish.

I also do not see the difference between buying a $2000 purse or $2000 shirt. At the same time, I do not always agree that price and quality of the craftsmanship are directly proportional. I used to work in luxury fashion. I have and still shop at designer stores for most of my clothing. I have definitely seen expensive clothes made poorly. While it is less common for this to happen than for cheap clothes, it does happen. Also, you ignored the "quality" of the design itself. I posted a New York Times article where Suzy Menkes proudly shopped at Walmart and wore the clothes to fashion shows. Designers thought that her clothes were Prada instead of Walmart. If designers and people in the luxury fashion industry confuse Walmart clothes with designer clothes, don't you think that perhaps not everyone will automatically assume that cheap clothes look "cheap"?

Your comments on the other thread were quite absolute. I think that is why people were upset. I don't think they were putting down people who buy $200 or even $2000 pants.

That said, I view designer bags the way I view designer clothes. I am more interested in how someone puts together an outfit than the cost of the individual pieces. An outfit can look fashionable or even inspiring whether it cost $50 or $5000.

:roflmfao:...because this is "the Purse forum" where "shallow obsessing strongly encouraged". It is about purses/handbags and not about all things "designer" or "luxury". So it shouldn't be a shock that the majority (here, at least) value designer handbags more than designer clothing. The true "irony" is that this "issue" is really an issue here.

:lecture:But in all seriousness...
  1. It is not okay for people to force their opinion onto others; and
  2. I agree, Marcelle is one smart person. :woohoo:
... I :heart: this forum...

you obviously make it a point again and again that you don't ever have to "choose" between high and lo. Not only do you refuse to "sing the praises" of high-lo, your online persona indicates that you don't need to choose and therefore think its foolish for others to as well.

I find this whole thread rather ironic seeing who it is coming from. I think most people could care less what other people spend on their clothes? And what pants even cost 2 dollars?

I know what thread you are talking about. I really don't think it was people berating you for believing a $200 pair of pants has better quality than a pair of $2 pants. I think people were upset because your comments sounded snobbish.

I agree with all of the above. I know exactly which thread is being referred to and the OP was definitely not attacked. I remember her saying things in that thread like she would never wear cheap non-designer clothes, not even plain t-shirts because she can spot cheap fabric from miles away, and that if someone is wearing a designer bag with non-designer outfit she assumes it's fake. It was rude, elitist and condescending. It wasn't even so much what she was saying, but how she said it. I got the distinct impression that if she ever met me IRL she would be absolutely horrified and disgusted by me based on the things she said.

And FYI- I think it is RUDE and TACKY for anyone to comment on how much other people spend on anything, whether it's $2 or $2,000,000. It's just as repulsive IMO for someone to call someone else's belongings cheap as it is to criticize label-whoring overspending :rolleyes:

I don't know about anyone else, but for me $200.00 pants are a pair of decent pants from Nordstrom (Tesori, faconnable, Ralph Lauren, Marc and Spencer) or Brooks Brothers or Ann Taylor.
They would probably be made from wool and lined and even long.
I don't know TRULY high end designer pants what cost close to 200 dollars. What are designers name we are talking about? And if it Gucci/Armani/DG/St John/ etc their price point for pants starts around $500.
If you were talking about 200 jeans it is a little different story...
I can definetely afford $200.00 pants ... :girlsigh: