So, so, so upset. Kitten run over.

HauteMama

O.G.
Sep 22, 2006
The UPS guy came tonight and my children came to the door with me. My 8 year old son said we should make sure the kitties were out of the way when the truck left, and I told him not to worry because the kitties would run as soon as they heard the engine. We live at the end of a long road, and we have barn cats that we feed and take care of. There are only two kittens that are tame enough for my children to catch and hold.

Well, somehow the truck hit BOTH of them. I am just crushed and so are my children. And I feel like it's all my fault because my son TOLD me I should watch out and I told him not to worry. I have been crying all evening and trying not to so I don't upset the kids more. But how in God's name could he have hit BOTH of them? These kittens were the closest things to pets my children had because I am too allergic to be able to keep pets in the house.

Anyway, I called UPS and had them inform the driver and I had them put a warning on my address to please be careful in the future and to start back up very slowly to give the cats a chance to run. They apologized profusely, but there is nothing that can be done. The kittens are gone.

And I can't stop crying.

Oh my. I am so sorry to hear this. Please don't put blame on yourself. What you told the children was perfectly sensible. It was just a strange thing that happened.
Hugs to you and your children tonight.

My son has a way with animals and a 6th sense about them. He warned me, and I should have trusted his instincts. Never again will I take it for granted that the animals will know what to do or have time to run. I will stand outdoors until the truck is gone and it is safe. I just feel so horribly responsible. I feel like I am going to throw up.

You are possibly in shock right now, and are flooded with feelings. It's not your fault.
The kittens were probably hit on the way in, not out. They WOULD HAVE moved otherwise.

You DID do the right thing. The accident had already happened. Even kittens know when to get out of the way of a slow moving truck when it first starts up. He was moving at a faster rate of speed on the way in.

Last edited:
No, the cats came running when the truck came. We saw them run up. The truck stopped and it took the guy a while to find the package. My son warned me; I didn't listen. And one of them was hit ON the step, so the truck must have rolled over part of it on the way out. The kitten must have thought he was safe there. They were hit on the way out.

It would have been a tragic accident if it had happened while we were gone, but I should have listened to my son. Now his pets are gone and I am the reason why. I don't know why they didn't run or why they didn't have time. Obviously, other trucks and vehicles drive up here and they always get out of the way. I just cannot believe they were BOTH hit.

I cannot even stand to open the package. I completely hate whatever is inside it. If I hadn't had a package delivered, this wouldn't have happened. I JUST WANT TO GO BACK AND CHANGE THIS. :cry:

Oh my dear, I can imagine how you feel. Please try to understand that regardless of what your son said, this was a freak occurrence. Usually pets DO move out of the way.
There have been times when I said the same thing about my children. But when I looked back, I realized that some things just cannot be prevented or controlled.
I know that you know this. I read your posts, and I've seen the wisdom that you share with us. But at times like this, our feelings prevail. It really will be alright.

ETA..Maybe if you put the box in the back of the closet for tonight, you can deal with it at a later time.

HauteMama, I am so SO sorry to hear this. Hugs to you and your son. Something similar happened when I was about 7 or 8 years old. We lived on a large piece of property, and my dad had a big riding lawn-mower that he would keep in our garage with the cars. The cats would hide underneath where the blade was, which always made us nervous. One time he got on it about to start it up, and I warned him that I thought my cat Penny was underneath. He looked quick, and said he didn't see anything and I didn't have to worry. He started up the mower, and the blade hit Penny who WAS actually hiding under there and Penny passed away. I saw the whole thing and was extremely disturbed.

I was very upset with my dad for a while, because he did not listen to me and I trusted him. But I did get over it. I knew it was an accident and my dad felt absolutely terrible about it- it was the first time I ever saw him cry. I forgave my dad, and they gave me a new kitten, even though I never forgot Penny.

Try not to beat yourself up too much about it. I know you are devastated because I would be too... but your son WILL understand, especially if you explain to him the same thing as you told us in this forum. And pets usually run away in this type of situation... It really sounds like some sort of freak accident that you could not have prepared for.

I agree with the suggestion about putting the box in the closet for a while until you are ready to deal with it. I think that is a really good idea- it sounds like you are absolutely overwhelmed, and opening the box at this point in time will make it worse.

Last edited:
Please don't blame yourself, Hautemama. It is horrible and tragic but sadly not uncommon for outdoor animals to be killed like this. The kittens were probably not very experienced in the ways of automobiles, and the driver obviously didn't see them. I am so sorry you and your kids had to witness the accident.