So sad... I think I ruined my Dusty MAB!

treegap

Feb 17, 2008
UGH! I bought a Dusty MAB on ebay and fell in love instantly with it. There was a darkish smudge on the backside, so I tried to buff it out with a little Apple Garde cleaner and now there is a dark stain over it. At least it's on the back side, but I'm still really sad. I learned my lesson to test everything on the underside or flap or something!

You dont have anything to worry about. Hang the bag on a hook and let it air dry for an hour or two. The Apple Garde "stain" will dry.

Really?? Oh my gosh, I hope so. This is the best news I've heard all day. I put the cleaner on a few hours ago and I have noticed that around the edges it's faded a little, but there's still a pretty dark splotch.

The Dusty is so delicate! I do love her so, though!

I'm too scared! I think I'll wait a day and see what it looks like and then maybe clean the rest of it.
The Dusty leather is really porous & soft-- don't be surprised if it takes two days to dry completely. If you choose to use a spray protector, do it really lightly then do a second coat a few days later. That's how I treated my Dusty & it's holding up well.

The Dusty leather is really porous & soft-- don't be surprised if it takes two days to dry completely. If you choose to use a spray protector, do it really lightly then do a second coat a few days later. That's how I treated my Dusty & it's holding up well.

Thanks! I love the way the leather feels, but yeah... it seems to pick up everything!

I don't have any experience with the Dusty & have not seen it IRL, but if it is anything like Saddle, it may not dry out. It may have a "tan" mark forever if not remedied. You may want to contact RM Maven & ask who like they like to use to restore their leather. Most companies have a preferred taylor, purse doctor, etc. Good luck.

I had to clean my saddle matinee because it had a bunch of spots on it. I had to clean the whole bag, it turned it darker at first but by the next day it looked beautiful. I think that leather is even more fragile than the dusty. I put a treatment on the dusty and once it dried it evened out and looks like I never put anything on it. I think you will be fine but like I said, you might have to clean the whole side to even out the spot. just my 2 cents since I have done this to my bags.

Thanks everyone for your helpful advice and kind words! The spot is still there today. :sad: I'm going to let it ride for a little longer (one can hope!) because it seems a bit lighter in certain parts to me today, indicating perhaps that some bits are drying out? If it doesn't go away in a few days, I will contact RM and see if they have any advice and/or clean the whole side (though I'm still scared it will turn the whole thing dark and splotchy!).