So sad... I think I ruined my Dusty MAB!

treegap

Feb 17, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
UGH! I bought a Dusty MAB on ebay and fell in love instantly with it. There was a darkish smudge on the backside, so I tried to buff it out with a little Apple Garde cleaner and now there is a dark stain over it. At least it's on the back side, but I'm still really sad. I learned my lesson to test everything on the underside or flap or something!

TheNordstrom Anniversary Saleis NOW open to Ambassador cardmembers.Click or tap to shop the Nordstrom sale!
P.S. Don't forget to join the activeNAS 2020 threadand share your hauls with the community!

GUNG

Aug 25, 2007
SF Bay Area, CA
You dont have anything to worry about. Hang the bag on a hook and let it air dry for an hour or two. The Apple Garde "stain" will dry.

treegap

Feb 17, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
You dont have anything to worry about. Hang the bag on a hook and let it air dry for an hour or two. The Apple Garde "stain" will dry.
Really?? Oh my gosh, I hope so. This is the best news I've heard all day. I put the cleaner on a few hours ago and I have noticed that around the edges it's faded a little, but there's still a pretty dark splotch.

The Dusty is so delicate! I do love her so, though!

Jenny Cadine

Semi-banned
Sep 24, 2007
the Dirty South
I'm too scared! I think I'll wait a day and see what it looks like and then maybe clean the rest of it.
The Dusty leather is really porous & soft-- don't be surprised if it takes two days to dry completely. If you choose to use a spray protector, do it really lightly then do a second coat a few days later. That's how I treated my Dusty & it's holding up well.

treegap

Feb 17, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
The Dusty leather is really porous & soft-- don't be surprised if it takes two days to dry completely. If you choose to use a spray protector, do it really lightly then do a second coat a few days later. That's how I treated my Dusty & it's holding up well.
Thanks! I love the way the leather feels, but yeah... it seems to pick up everything!

Sep 2, 2007
I don't have any experience with the Dusty & have not seen it IRL, but if it is anything like Saddle, it may not dry out. It may have a "tan" mark forever if not remedied. You may want to contact RM Maven & ask who like they like to use to restore their leather. Most companies have a preferred taylor, purse doctor, etc. Good luck.

Nov 20, 2007
Canada
Aww... I hope everything works out! I don't think you have to worry though - this has been posted on the RM forums before and everything worked out in the end.

redskater

bags,books & Kitties
O.G.
Jan 2, 2008
on the golf course!
I had to clean my saddle matinee because it had a bunch of spots on it. I had to clean the whole bag, it turned it darker at first but by the next day it looked beautiful. I think that leather is even more fragile than the dusty. I put a treatment on the dusty and once it dried it evened out and looks like I never put anything on it. I think you will be fine but like I said, you might have to clean the whole side to even out the spot. just my 2 cents since I have done this to my bags.

treegap

Feb 17, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
Thanks everyone for your helpful advice and kind words! The spot is still there today. :sad: I'm going to let it ride for a little longer (one can hope!) because it seems a bit lighter in certain parts to me today, indicating perhaps that some bits are drying out? If it doesn't go away in a few days, I will contact RM and see if they have any advice and/or clean the whole side (though I'm still scared it will turn the whole thing dark and splotchy!).