So many bags are just so heavy...

maxaluna50

Sashasmom
Nov 11, 2006
I really believe that one of the reasons I have neck and shoulder problems is that the bags I carry are just to heavy. I was told that including everything in the bag, the bag shouldn't weigh more than 5 lbs (yeah, right...). Aside from LV and prada, I would appreciate knowing about your favorite lightweight bag.

Thanks

Belen Echandia, Jerome Dreyfuss, Gustto, Bottega Veneta... all lightweight and soft leather! I have a bad neck and shoulder too, so I've had to get rid of my heavy bags.

I know what you mean! So many bags these days are gorgeous but weigh a ton. If you're looking for a light bag I would suggest going for something in an alternative material like canvas or jersey. Right now I have coated canvas Juicy Couture Premier tote, which I love because it holds everything imaginable but at the same time barely weighs an ounce. I can say the same thing about L.L. Beans' classic totes which are also canvas. From what I've seen Coach and Dooney have a good selection of canvas/ fabric bags. If you are willing to sacrifice the size of the bag for the weight I would suggest something like a Chanel flap, which fits the essentials: keys, wallet, make up, but still is light and comfortable to carry. But, if you really want a bigger leather bag I would try to look for ones that have less hardware and that are mid-sized at max. I have a Marc by Marc Jacobs Airliner satchel which is heavier than my canvas bags but it's still not as heavy as my MJ Stam.

It seems that many of the marc by marc jacobs bags are pretty heavy. I have the quinn, the faridah, and the lady l turnlock and they all feel like 5-6 lbs. by themselves and forget about when I put stuff in it. And I am a chronic overpacker...

I dont know what it is that makes them heavy apart from the hardware. My leather bag is quite weighty but doesnt have much hardware so it seems it is just the leather as an old leather jacket I had weighed a ton but it was a bikers jacket.

I have the same problem. Most of my bags are Lv or Coach [ergo line]. When I look at bags now before I get to attached to one I lift it up. If it feels heavy back it goes. Try to avoid bags with lots of hardware as that makes them heavy very fast.

The lightest bags I have are Balenciaga Cities, Prada nylons and a Marc Jacobs canvas. The heaviest and most hateful bag I ever carried was a Chloe Paddington, which I sold. I recently bought a metallic MBMJ satchel. It's quite heavy as I tend to use it when I'm going on brief trips, so there's more stuff in it. But I've heard MBMJ can be quite heavy anyway. Just the same it's not ALARMINGLY heavy and I have no back probs. Sometimes the heaviness of a bag comes down to lateral thinking. If I want to carry a bag with heavier leather I put fewer things in it. The other day I noticed my Bbag was heavier than usual, but that was because I was carrying a thick crime novel in it that day!

Weight can be an issue, especially since I often carry a book with me as well as a bunch of electronic devices and other "necessities". But I don't mind. When it comes to leather bags, a heavier one seems more substantial to me for some reason. It also keeps the bag from sliding off my shoulder.

I really believe that one of the reasons I have neck and shoulder problems is that the bags I carry are just to heavy. I was told that including everything in the bag, the bag shouldn't weigh more than 5 lbs (yeah, right...). Aside from LV and prada, I would appreciate knowing about your favorite lightweight bag.

Thanks

Do you hand or shoulder carry? When my shoulder starts to ache I switch to a satchel for a while.

Tano makes a really light bag, they're inexpensive and come in a lot of fun colors.

Linda