So I walked into a particular Chanel at a Mall in Southern California ...

My beloved Chanel Brown Caviar Leather Quilted tote needs a good spa treatment, so a few days after Christmas I brought it to Chanel to have it cleaned (btw they recommended a local place instead of sending back to Chanel, does that sound alright) While I was in the store I got a little Chanel bag fever and started checking out a few out. Picked up a few, tried them out in the mirror, but didn't find anything I had to have. Thought I'd try out the new Bloomingdale Chanel Store to see if they had anything different. What a sad store. It's right near the store entrance. Every bag is tied to the glass shelf with a security wire. There were two sales rep furiously affixing wires to bags -- no one looked up to help me.

And there is was, the Executive Bag in white. I leaned over to touch it when a sale rep said to me loudly "Mam, please do not touch the bag. We will be with you in a moment" (there was no one else in the store). I was so embarrassed. I left, went back to Chanel, asked if they had the bag in black as also purchased the camellia wallet. Both were beautifully wrapped, covered in extra flowers (I had mentioned I liked the wallet because the first item I ever bought from a Chanel store was the flower). I really wanted to go back to Bloomingdales to show them my shopping bags but my husband discouraged me from playing out my Pretty Women fantasy.

My question is, if you are going to have a Chanel mini-store inside Bloomingdales and you are worried about theft, why put it right near the entrance, instead of deep inside? If you want the illusion of a high end store, why not hire a security guard instead of lock everything down with wire cables (that might scratch the bag BTW)? The Neiman Marcus near my house has a Chanel deep inside their store and bags are behind the counter or inside glass drawers, much more tasteful.

BTW, love the Executive! Love it!

i agree, why not put them behind tasteful glass or something. the wire thing I can understand for electronics as phones, cameras etc are quite small but it's a shame you have to wait for assistance to hand-browse at Chanel, especially with attitudes like you've described.

sorry to hear your experience was neg. :hrmm:

i whole heartedly agree with what you've suggested. I mean gosh, even a lot of supermarkets these days have a security guard, I am sure Chanel can afford to employ an extra set of hands during the day.

I'm sorry for your poor Bloomies experience. I felt the same way when I wanted to purchase some expensive designer jewelry at Bloomies. The salespeople ignored me as they went about some tedious tasks. I walked. I didn't want to give those salespeople any commission. I have spent fortunes at Bloomies, but I'll wait until someone has the time of day for me when I buy that jewelry, either there or SOMEPLACE ELSE!. (... step off soapbox...)

I'm glad you purchased your bag and wallet. They sound beautiful. Enjoy!

but my husband discouraged me from playing out my Pretty Women fantasy.

:lol: that's funny! I also find those wires ludicrous. Having said that nothing is as bad as the LV stores (selfridges), where the security guards actually came over and asked me NOT to touch. I mean if you hate your customer base quite so much don't put bags in accessible positions.:graucho: I would never carry an LV even if I liked the bags (which I do not) after that incident.

I understand your embarrassment, I have been there many times. I usually do not let stood SA girls ruined my day. If they want to get childish with me, I do it back( not the just mature things to do, but how are they going to learn ?)

My beloved Chanel Brown Caviar Leather Quilted tote needs a good spa treatment, so a few days after Christmas I brought it to Chanel to have it cleaned (btw they recommended a local place instead of sending back to Chanel, does that sound alright) While I was in the store I got a little Chanel bag fever and started checking out a few out. Picked up a few, tried them out in the mirror, but didn't find anything I had to have. Thought I'd try out the new Bloomingdale Chanel Store to see if they had anything different. What a sad store. It's right near the store entrance. Every bag is tied to the glass shelf with a security wire. There were two sales rep furiously affixing wires to bags -- no one looked up to help me.

And there is was, the Executive Bag in white. I leaned over to touch it when a sale rep said to me loudly "Mam, please do not touch the bag. We will be with you in a moment" (there was no one else in the store). I was so embarrassed. I left, went back to Chanel, asked if they had the bag in black as also purchased the camellia wallet. Both were beautifully wrapped, covered in extra flowers (I had mentioned I liked the wallet because the first item I ever bought from a Chanel store was the flower). I really wanted to go back to Bloomingdales to show them my shopping bags but my husband discouraged me from playing out my Pretty Women fantasy.

My question is, if you are going to have a Chanel mini-store inside Bloomingdales and you are worried about theft, why put it right near the entrance, instead of deep inside? If you want the illusion of a high end store, why not hire a security guard instead of lock everything down with wire cables (that might scratch the bag BTW)? The Neiman Marcus near my house has a Chanel deep inside their store and bags are behind the counter or inside glass drawers, much more tasteful.

BTW, love the Executive! Love it!

While reading your story I kept thinking of the Pretty Woman movie too!!!! That's one of my favorite movies and that part is one of my favorite moments in the movie! So funny! I would have walked by just to re-live Pretty Woman. I don't think I would have said "remember me? big mistake.. Huge mistake" lol

Glad you got your chanel tote and wallet! :smile: congrats! Photos?

I've had less than stellar service in that same Bloomingdale's. After spending about $6k with one SA, I went to look at sunglasses and she ignored me for half an hour. I finally left, and vowed to never work with her again. I was in there last week looking, and was pretty much ignored in the bag area, too. I'll stick to Chanel for my purchases (and Dior) and Bloomingdale's can look to make money off someone else. Most of their staff is on the indifferent to rude side in my book, and I'm pretty easy going.

The only dept store with tolerable SA in that mall is Nordstroms. That bloomies is so empty and I feel that the clothing racks are not nicely organized. NM has been hit or miss for me, too- the SA Ive spoken to don't seem particularly knowledgeable, and when I once called to inquire about the availability of the jumbo classic flap the SA was so rude and condescending that I have made up my mind never to shop there. Oh how I miss my Stanford Mall up in Palo Alto with nice SA's in all the department and boutique stores!