So I think the SOGs are ruining my nails with the deep splits...

tracy814

O.G.
Jul 19, 2007
I started using Gelish last summer, it was the answer to all my prayers, love love it. My nails are weak and could finally grow them to beyond a nub, but never higher than the top of my finger - still quite short.

But after a few months, I started getting the splits/cracks really low on the side of my nails, and as I sit here today, I haven't used Gelish in 2 weeks, just have a hardener on, my nails are clipped as short as they can go, and every single one has a very low crack in the nail bed that needs to grow out. This used to happen very occasionally, and the only thing I can think of that is causing it is the Gelish...

Has anyone else had this problem? Since I keep my nails so short, I don't try to repair it with fiberglass or anything (and I doubt I'd be able to do it properly anyway).

:crybaby:

Aww sorry about that. I have actually read many times on nail blogs about Gelous doing that to peoples nails. Not sure why.

I recently bought it to go as a top coat because I've read that it smooths out glitters.

Hopefully people can chime in to help you figure out what to do

Girl I was just about to post my frustration about my nail splits - man does that annoy me! They always crack really low, and my nails are very soft. I keep having to clip them shorter, and they never get the chance to grow.

Right now, I am using a Barielle restorative polish and nailtek growth polish. I also use cuticle oil galore, and keep my nails moisturized always. I've also heard that cutting your cuticles can weaken your nails.

The growth of my nails has definitely improved since then, but the splits just keep popping up.

Would LOVE to know a good way to get them to stop splitting as well.

ps- i do not use the gelish i'm not even sure what that is. it's just something that naturally happens to my nails. Did yours split before using it as well?

Tracy 814, what process are you using to remove the product? The removal process may be what is weakening your nails. I strongly recommend switching to a product like Shellac that has an 8 - 10 minute removal time and is very gentle on the nail bed. My clients have reported that their nails are actually stronger!

This is why I decided against Gelish. My nails were always semi strong but would still get splits down low and I was afraid the exposure to acetone would make it worse. Then at the end of last summer my nails suddenly became super strong...never break or split. The only thing I can contribute it to is an oyster shell calcium supplement I started taking in June. I've since read that calcium won't help nails but I don't know, there is such a huge difference in my nails and it had to come from somewhere, lol! I also took Biotin for a couple of months, it didn't seem to make my nails and stronger but they did grow faster.

Mine do it sometimes but I decided it was because my nails sort of curl{?}
Hard to explain . . .

My middle finger nails do this - sort of curl downward a bit after they grow past the end of my finger. I HATE it!

Tracy 814, what process are you using to remove the product? The removal process may be what is weakening your nails. I strongly recommend switching to a product like Shellac that has an 8 - 10 minute removal time and is very gentle on the nail bed. My clients have reported that their nails are actually stronger!

Gelish is soaked off the same way as Shellac - 10 minute soak-off.