So i complimented someone on her bag today..

OHh yes I have decided to stop complimenting women as well. I work in a clothing store (i'm 20) and I've complimented women on their bags, or wathces, or whatever, just trying to be nice. Most of them have been *****y about it. I don't know what's wrong with all of these women, I guess they are looking down on me because i'm working retail - but hello, it's my summer job, I'm going to a fantastic college - didn't they have crappy jobs when they were my age too?

Suzanne, I'm sorry this happened to you....it was very nice of you to compliment the woman, but obviously she does not have the manners to appreciate such a compliment!

I've never had the chance to compliment someone with their nice LV's, because whenever I see them they always seem to be in a rush! I, however, have received lovely compliments on my white mc speedy and black mc alma (when it was brand new) and was soooo happy! I feel totally radiant and then give them a huge smile and say thank you!

If I am next to someone at a counter etc and they have LV then I will usually say "I like your bag" or "that's a beautiful bag" most times people are happy to receive a compliment.
I don't say anything about the name of the bag anymore, eg "love your trouville bag" as used the name once and the woman looked at me real nasty and said
"No, I will have you know this a Louis Vuitton."
Well, I knew that but mistakenly called it by its model name instead.
It is total bad grace and manners IMO to treat any compliment in a negative way. A simple "thank you" and then walk away would be enough.

Not that I'm trying to defend this person but maybe by chance she was a foreigner and didn't understand you, thus the blank stare? Otherwise, it would have been rude not to accept your compliment. I got a nice compliment today on my bag and it made me smile. :smile:

It has been my experience that the people I have complimented who were uncomfortable or who acted rudely were usually toting a fake and not wanting to draw attention to it... (and I realized AFTER I declared my admiration for the counterfeit bag!)...
OR they had some major guilt about the amount they spent on a bag.
Not all people can take a compliment tho I guess- about themselves or their belongings.

Obviously I'm not going to mug them so that surely can't be the reason they act terribly, as I'm usually toting a bag valued in excess of $2,000 myself!

I personally love it when someone says something about my purse, USUALLY....

I did have someone be VERY rude to me once in TJ Maxx about my Chanel ballet shoes. She assumed they were fake when complimenting me and asked the price/location where I bought them. I avoided the question initially but she was persistant and I did end up telling her Saks and the price. She used very vulgar language and told me multiple times how I was going to feel so stupid when she got some for $20 just like them.

Maybe they get people who act like that a lot about their expensive items and don't want confrontation. I know my experience with that shopper gave me a BAD taste in my mouth about carrying anything of value and admitting it is real for a while. Still baffles me that someone would talk to me that way and not even know me.

I was grocery shopping a few days ago with my new black MC Rita and altho it has been noticed a few times before and complimented, the checkout clerk was gushingly excited about it. It was very refreshing, as I feel the same way about the bag myself! LOL. I know she didn't do it to get a sale, as they definitely dont operate on commission there...lol

OHh yes I have decided to stop complimenting women as well. I work in a clothing store (i'm 20) and I've complimented women on their bags, or wathces, or whatever, just trying to be nice. Most of them have been *****y about it. I don't know what's wrong with all of these women, I guess they are looking down on me because i'm working retail - but hello, it's my summer job, I'm going to a fantastic college - didn't they have crappy jobs when they were my age too?

ELMEL, don't take it personally. I don't think it is that these women think less of you for working retail. I think maybe it is that so many SA's in all sorts of stores use the compliment technique as a way to make a sale, it just doesn't always sound honest. Much of the time it just sounds ingratiating. Now, I'm NOT saying that YOUR compliments aren't sincere! I'm just saying that at times it gets tiresome to, for example, be strolling through the mall and wandering in and out of stores, and hear a SA in every single store call over to me with "I really like your bag!" "That watch is awesome!" "Where did you get those shoes?" or "Oh, your ring is gorgeous..." Now, I am more than twice your age, and I do have some lovely (and expensive) things, but, believe me, I don't dress that well or look that terrific. So, sometimes the compliments sound truly honest and nice -- but sometimes it sounds like, "Please, please come in and let me sell you something so I can get my commission!"

Oh, and although I never worked retail, I sure as hell worked some LOUSY summer jobs when I was your age!!!

Wow, if I am in a store and a sales person compliments me on my bag or any other article, I just smile and say "Thank you," and I mean it! Some people are just clueless. Don't let this lady ruin your kindness toward others, you could make someone else's day!

I wouldn't take it personally and let it put you off from complimenting people. For all you know she may have had a horrible day and just been in a bad mood. I love it when I get compliments and it always brightens my day. Hopefully the next person you compliment will be nicer about it!

well, it depends. i tend to look and if it's an extravegant piece or one i love then yes i'll say something. or if i see them with more pieces than just mono. every once in a while i am complimented...i think the last time was, oh, yeah on saturday i was waiting for the train to nyc and two nice asian girls were looking at my keepall and perfo pochette and told me they were cute and i said thank you. i personally am always flattered when i am complimented. but last weekend i was working and this girl comes in looking for save the date cards for her wedding, so i helped her out. she was carrying a speedy 35 and i see lots of them so i didn't say anything, but when she pulled out a red epi wallet i had to. lol. i complimented her and she looked at me sorta strange, i guess because she wasn't expecting me to know the name of the leather and i just explained saying i loved louis vuitton and she goes "oh, i'm the store director in atlantic city!" i was like :wtf: friggin LUCKY, thats like my dream job. haha i didn't say that but just started talking about amarante and how i can't wait to go get my sunset and we had a nice little chat. lol wish i had a chance to make friends with her, lol friends at LV is a very good thing :yes:

Well ladies, I guess that these bad situations just go to show us that simply because one is carrying a classy bag does not make one classy at all. I do believe I read a comment in one of the threads recently about class being an "inner" characteristic and its so true.
If you're a totally nasty, rude, selfish person who cannot at least nod in recognition of a person giving you a compliment then, the only thing CLASS about ya is your bag...

I once complimented someone on their gorgeous French Co Speedy - it was in immaculate condition. I said, "I love your French Company Speedy! It's gorgeous!"

She looked at me with this confused expression and said, "French Company Speedy? Ummm, yeah it was my aunt's. It's really old."

I don't think she even knew what she was carrying!