So frustrated! very high fees because MJ produced in China. Help!

OMG jenny, im so sorry to hear that. but i would have refused them as well. you could buy another damn shoe for the amount they're charging you for import. ridiculous!! i hope you find them somewhere else hon...

and BTW~ you're getting hitched? congrats!!! :nuts:

I am! Thanks! :greengrin:

those were exactly my thoughts. Hell, for 270$ I could get a GREAT MJ bag off evilbay!

Right now, shopbop is freaking me out that I will have to pay a lot of extra fees from their side when I refuse to take the package… ladies, this is not my day. Hopefully they can tell me just how much it will be that I have to pay them. So strange!

I am! Thanks! :greengrin:

those were exactly my thoughts. Hell, for 270$ I could get a GREAT MJ bag off evilbay!

Right now, shopbop is freaking me out that I will have to pay a lot of extra fees from their side when I refuse to take the package… ladies, this is not my day. Hopefully they can tell me just how much it will be that I have to pay them. So strange!
what?! that's just plain ridiculous
Does it say anywhere on the site or in your order (Terms and Conditions?) that there are fees for refused packages? that just doesn't make sense either - they're not loosing anything. Its like they're charged to have the package returned to them!

I actually do! I just have to wait if it's neccessary to take this option.

Right now, I'm awating shopbops confirmation that the whole sending back procedure won't be too expensive. If not, I am seriously considering just taking the damn shoes and living with it. Also, I hope the MJ London boutique calls, but if not, I will on Monday.
What a ****** up situation! All because of dream shoes! What one gets through for this…

Last edited by a moderator:
I need help deciding what to do!

I have two options, either way I will loose money.

First one: Refuse the package, they send it back and I will be charged about 77$ by shopbop, so I would be refunded less.

Second one: I accept the package and pay the cutom fees, take a peek at the shoes (very dangerous as it will be hard to let them go again), could try them on to see my size though, then return it on a cheaper way, which still would be around 30$, plus go through a lot of paper work to get the custom fees back.

I really don't know what's best – I'd love to try them on, but then again, I absolutely do not want to deal with custom officers to get my cash back.
Help, please…

if you're even thinking about sending them back, I would just refuse the package. Those custom fees are WAY too high to take a chance - what if the they refuse your request (can they do that?), or the paperwork takes 6 months (or more) to process? we all know that the government is in no hurry to GIVE people money and once you pay that $260, I think its going to be a MAJOR pain to get back.

$77 still isn't right (and I'd be PO'd!), but it's much better than $200+ that you will have to wait to get back who knows how long

I know you love the shoes and I know how badly you want them, but I think you should look into your other options - ones that won't cost you an addtl $260!!

you really can't fight shopbop on the $77 charge? i think you have a good case. they should've let you know about this made in china custom charge. i'd never even heard about it until now, and i'm betting the majority of their customers haven't either.

Thing is, they haven't, too!
And in a way, it's unfair for them as well. I mean, this fee is only raised in the EU, how would they know about it, being an US shop and all.

But then again, I really think they should have let me return this for free, because I don't believe it cost them anything. But they wrote:

The amount of duties and taxes/freight that are required to return the product to us is $73.45. If you are choosing to refuse this package we just want to let you know that you are responsible for this amount which would be deducted from the amount of the product in the purchase which is $450.00. This means you would be refunded $376.55.

We do state this policy on our website: If you decide to refuse any shipments from shopbop.com, you are responsible for the original shipping charges to you, any duties, taxes and/or customs charges that are incurred on the package (on both the original and return shipments), and the cost of returning the package to shopbop.com. This amount will be subtracted from your merchandise refund.
Your order may be subject to import duties and taxes, which are levied once a shipment reaches your country. You will be responsible for paying additional charges for customs clearance; we have no control over these charges and cannot predict what they may be. Customs policies vary widely from country to country; please contact your local customs office for further information. Additionally, when ordering from Shopbop.com, you are the importer and must comply with all laws and regulations of the destination country. You authorize us to designate a carrier to act as your agent with the relevant customs and tax authorities in the destination country, to clear your merchandise and advance (on your behalf) any duties and taxes owed by you.

of course I never read that passage because I didn't think it would apply to me!

Agh I don't know. Lesson learned, and I won't be buying from them again! Which is a shame because I just recently got crazy about their stuff.

true, but at the same time, being a business that's agreed to ship internationally, it's really up to them to be wise on all the different custom fees, so they can inform their customer about it, and avoid this situation altogether. since they were ignorant of it too, you shouldn't be monetarily responsible for something they couldn't disclose to you due to their lack of due diligence.

That's so true, tad! But I really don't know what to do about it. I'm not perfect in business english, and I hate fighting… Plus, they already charged my cc, I don't want them to withhold my refund or anything.

I just find it strange they ship this way – anthropologie for example uses FiftyOne, an international shipment service. They calculate the custom fees beforehand so you know exactly what you'll have to pay before placing an order. Once I place an order there, the package just arrives and there are no further fees. That's what I call good service!