so embarrassing... need advice .....

ksammon

Aug 30, 2006
... ok...... i have REALLY DARK THICK hair ... i have been coloring since i was like 14 am 24 now ..... anyways over the last maybe 2 years i have noticed these really dark thick long sideburns ... i thought nothing of them .... until last summer when i put my hair up and i had crazy long thick side burns like a guy... :cry:.. so i did something CRAZY with out thinking and shave them ..... MISTAKE .. i know .... the no hair last for like 3 days b/c then they grow back harsh .... so i let them grow out ... to .. about a few weeks ago my b/f made some rude comment about my sideburns i was kinda hurt but when i looked in the mirror i understood ... my hair right now is a honey brown .. and my side burns are like BLACK.. so i took bleach and did my sideburns.. its alot better but... i wish i could do something any advice ?
HOw much is lazer treatment ?

I think laser hair removal would be the way to go. Find an experienced derm/ps in your area that offers it and get a consultation. My derm charges $400/treatment for the face, but I'm sure it varies by area and just sideburns should be less.

Hi there,

I share your pain. I am Latina and have a ton of very dark, thick, hair too - plus some nice little sideburn action. :P (Not fun, I know).

I generally wax mine, and it does make the hair a lot thinner and more noticeable with time. If you can't swing the $ for laser at the moment, try wax strips (I like Parissa brand or as a second choice Nair - both are at Ulta. Parissa is also at Whole Foods.) A even better solution IMO would be threading! It is cheap and it does weaken the hair follicle/make you hair thinner and less noticeable with time. Personally, I do not find bleach to be the best solution - it can actually make your hair more noticeable in certain kinds of light, unfortunately.

Hope this helps! :smile:

And think of it this way - the bothersome (but removable) sideburns are a product of the gorgeous, thick hair on the rest of your head...and there are tons of people who would love to have hair like yours, I bet!

I absolutely feel your pain. I'm one of those asian girls who don't exactly fit into the stereotypical hair-less asians. I go threading once a month for my whole face and the lady threads my sideburns too.

My friend has the same problem and she has her mother wax them. You would never know she had a problem her face looks flawless but she does it often to keep it looking good.

You could try a little spring like contraption - it's called the epi stick or something along those lines. You can get unbranded versions on ebay which use the same idea. It's pretty like threading (so pulls the hair out without as much stress on the skin that you would get with waxing).

You should google it and should be able to see some video demonstrations too.

You could try a little spring like contraption - it's called the epi stick or something along those lines. You can get unbranded versions on ebay which use the same idea. It's pretty like threading (so pulls the hair out without as much stress on the skin that you would get with waxing).

You should google it and should be able to see some video demonstrations too.

Those things are great for the area above your upper lip b/c you don't need to be precise. Since you want an even hairline, it may not be the best option. You would end up needing to pluck to make the hairline even on both sides. IMHO, waxing would be better.

I'd look at waxing, threading or even sugaring for the short-term and then check into laser pricing meanwhile.

As I've gotten older I've had problems with peach fuzz along my sideburn area and jawline and around my temples too :tdown:. I'm fair skinned and the hair is very light but still very noticeable and aging. I get it waxed every couple months or so and it does grow back more sparsely each time. I am going to look into sugaring too!

I know it can be embarrassing, but just know there are ways to take care of it! We all likely have some beauty issue that drives us nuts :hugs:

Never shave your face. I agree with what everyone else has said, wax or get it threaded and look into laser. Dont feel embarrassed a lot of women with dark hair have "sideburns"

I would look into getting them lasered or waxed. I have naturally blond hair and usually use wax strips if mine get out of control. With the blond, they turn orange and are super noticeable if you get make up in them!

I can totally relate to you! I was born hairy! My whole body is hairy ( literally). I would shave and like 8 hours later, would develop a shadow! I went to see a ipl ( intense pulse light) technician to see what she can do for my arms. The ipl system was called palomer ( i think that is how you spell it). My skin type was 2, and have extremely coarse black hair. It cost 1100 for six treatments and now two years later, my arm is 90 percent hair free. I am also thinking about getting my side burns done as well but I am afraid of anything touching my face. If you are not afraid, find a laser hair technician in your area, usually consultations are free. Good luck!

I would suggest that you start either waxing or threading. Then, when it gets a little colder, look into laser. The reason why I suggest you should do laser in the winter is because of sun exposure. I got my moustache lasered and even when they would put sunscreen over it, the sun made my upper lip skin (where they were lasering) slightly darker than the rest of my face, enough to make it noticeable. It's not so bad now since I've been exfoliating and all kinds of things, but yeah. I would say that you wait for the laser.
Also, make sure you go to a derm that will charge you by appointment. I had bought a package and the company mysteriously disappeared halfway through it.