So Black: Somebody stop me from buying this

Ketaki

Apr 5, 2015
So, yesterday I had to make a really tough decision between the so black or white with red lizard coco handle. Bought the coco handle. But can't stop thinking about the so black too.

I was hoping I'd not like it in person, but the photos don't do it justice. In my head I've always wanted a more saturated so black in classic quilted lamb or chevron.

So, should I hold out for a lamb so black - which I might not use as much compared to this so black which is more carefree and the leather seems quite sturdy.

But there is something so breathtaking about Chanel lamb in so black. I wouldn't mind owning one, knowing I'd use it more carefully than the other so black. In my head that's the most beautiful bag ever...till I saw this season.

This season's is not as saturated - but lovely and edgy nevertheless. It's stunning IRL. I'm sure I'll regret not buying this too. And also regret not buying in lamb when it ever comes again.

But I only plan to buy one so black and in jumbo size as that works best for my lifestyle. Red is the only bag I can justify buying in multiple versions. So it's a matter of choosing one black to buy and one to regret.

Help me! Shall I wait for so black lamb or buy this?

Comparison photo borrowed from katiebal's beautiful so black thread
https://forum.purseblog.com/index.php?threads/Instant-Reveal!-New-17S-So-Black-Jumbo.960834/

View attachment 3637498

View attachment 3637499

Last edited:
I do like this seasons so black but I think it looks better in lamb. Although calfskin is more durable. If you love the lamb then you should wait for it! Don't settle :smile: Having said that - we don't know if and when if it will come back. Alternatively you could buy the calfskin one and then sell it if the lamb comes out

Reactions: Ketaki
If I'm you I would wait for the lamb so black. You mentioned that lamb is breathtaking but perhaps you're tempted by the calf because this season's so black is more practical and carefree to use.

If you are in a store now with both available to buy, which one do you think you would get without hesitation? Follow your heart! [emoji4]

Thanks all. Very helpful to hear so many perspectives.

Mintyvintage, your question was really helpful - if both there, which one would I buy? The honest answer is - both - for different reasons. One when I'm playing lady, and one when I'm playing tramp.

Guess I have to break my "only one black classic flap" rule. What is it about Chanel that forces us to rationalise everything! Haha

That didn't take long. Couldn't resist! It's very difficult to capture the leather on camera.

But interesting to see that the leather differs from bag to bag. I saw two of the same bag with very distinct finishes. One was smoother and one with more texture. I got the smooth one as it had more sheen. If you can, do see it IRL and compare to other pieces as the two I saw were so different.

IMG_1489849993.389079.jpg

IMG_1489850015.018117.jpg

IMG_1489850032.237672.jpg

Thanks all. Very helpful to hear so many perspectives.

Mintyvintage, your question was really helpful - if both there, which one would I buy? The honest answer is - both - for different reasons. One when I'm playing lady, and one when I'm playing tramp.

Guess I have to break my "only one black classic flap" rule. What is it about Chanel that forces us to rationalise everything! Haha

That's awesome!!! And yay to two black flaps! [emoji4][emoji4] break all rules when it comes to fashion. Congrats on your new bag! I love the smooth leather one better too!

That didnt last long :biggrin:, for a good reason! You obviously love this one, & glad you decided to get it. Thanks for letting us know on the variation of the leather!

Its great you've decided to get it now, since we will never know when else will chanel make the next so black. Just enjoy your beauty!