So Black Reissue 226 (matte, quilted) = Black Beauty!!!

resplendent

Sep 5, 2014
OMG! My dream Reissue was an unexpected surprise here in Paris! (Please don't mind the floor, I'm staying at an Airbnb here in Paris.)

unnamed1.jpg unnamed2.jpg
I thought I was going to get the iconic distressed black/ruthenium 226, but in person the distressing paired with the ruthenium kind of bothered me. I'm not the most polished girl, so I found that on me, the distressed leather made the bag look too used, and the ruthenium looked dull. So after totally wasting the time of my SA, I went back to my Airbnb also foregoing the black caviar chevron rectangular Mini she offered (it'd be so hot if I brought it back to Toronto to resell, but I'm not that kind of person...) and picked out a Reissue turnlock WOC. I was sad because I thought I would take home an everyday bag in a Reissue 226 but I couldn't pull the trigger.

Anyway, after inspecting my WOC, I noticed that the distressing wasn't symmetrical and that was triggering my OCD (on the left side it was heavy, and on the right side there was hardly any distressing.) So I went to the Montaigne boutique to do an exchange...and on a whim I asked my neophyte SA if they had any chevron Reissue 2.55's in stock (I wondered if the chevron Reissue would look less distressed than the quilted one...even though I knew it was mostly from last year.) Well, he brought out everything for me :biggrin:, a 225 black/GHW Reissue, a lambskin/SHW Mini...and this GORGEOUS so-black Reissue and I was completely in love. So, I exchanged my WOC for it.

I noticed that this leather does not always photograph to do it justice. In some other photos of some bags shown here using this exact calfskin, it did not impress me. Yet in person, it is both matte yet softly shimmery, and has a natural calfskin texture without heavy distressing markings. Then the so-black Reissue hardware is just STUNNING. The rectangular mademoiselle turnlock shines and the chain sparkles like black diamond. I am soooo, so happy. For me, I have not yet seen a Reissue in all these years that I would want more than this.

This black beauty makes my classic caviar/shw flap at home look underwhelming to my mind.

Thank-you to ALL the TPF members who patiently exchanged advice and information regarding sizing, comfort, etc. and who have posted over the years discussing the Reissue. I read over many of them while mulling over my decision and it was luck that made me chance upon my dream Chanel.\

When I get home by early next week, I will be very happy to do a side-by-side comparison of what this 226 fits compared to my M/L with the items I normally carry. :heart::heart::heart:

Last edited:
Thank you very much, it is such a beautiful bag:smile:
You're welcome! I was not expecting this because I did not see it on the website (yet.) I wanted to squeal and jump when he brought it out. Instant :hbeat::yahoo:

I thought I might end up leaving Paris empty-handed (for the second time) because it was stressful trying to hunt down something that I like...but I kept resisting. I almost got a Mini so I wouldn't leave disappointed, even knowing that I had already rationally concluded that they do not fit all my essentials (now that I have to carry sunglasses everywhere except in the evenings.)

Congrats on your 226! Is the material the crumpled calfskin?
It's textured...not completely polish-smooth...but it looks like natural calfskin texturing to me. :blush: It looks like the matte calfskin we've been seeing on some classics.

Edit: Sorry, is this called "crumpled"?
https://forum.purseblog.com/threads/chanel-2017-black-on-black-reveal.961812/

If so, then I guess it is the crumpled calfskin. Grrr...sorry, my bad. Yes it's that exact same leather.

Two weeks ago I bought So black Jumbo from the current collection and the leather looks exactly like the one on your Reissue So black bag. It is called crumpled calfskin I believe...
Thanks for clarifying. I checked this thread and this user corroborated the name of the leather. I can't seem to access the website for the classic so-black.

Last edited:
Reactions: lvchanellvr
Two weeks ago I bought So black Jumbo from the current collection and the leather looks exactly like the one on your Reissue So black bag. It is called crumpled calfskin I believe...

Congrats! Please do a comparison!!
Thank you. I shall...I get home on Sunday evening (EST). So maybe that night, or Monday. :smile:

IMG_0115b.jpg
It really doesn't look as crumpled as "crumpled calfskins" of the past.

I expect creases to develop over time with use...but then she'd just start looking more like the rest of most of her Reissue sisters, anyway. :amuse: The leather feels sumptuous and slightly stiffer than the regular Reissue (distressed) calfskin. There was a little less "give" when I slipped my hand into both types of back pockets. Caviar backpocket being the stiffest.

Another thing: Both 226's I was shown were Made in Italy (if that matters to anyone.) The 225 I was shown was Made in France.