So annoyed with myself, or should I just forget it and be nice?

IntlSet

Bonjour!
Jan 29, 2006
SO and I are moving into a loft together, and our lease starts the 15th of this month.

The current resident and I just now met because I bought a kitchen island from him, and I needed to give him in the check.

Let me set the scene: we've both met for the first time, on a street corner, and it's POURING RAIN.

And after I hand him the check, he asks me if it's okay if he keeps some of his furniture in the apartment for the first two days of our lease. Like, a couch and bed, he said, but I don't doubt it may be more than that.

In all honesty, my SO and I hadn't planned on moving in until the 17th. However, a cleaning lady is coming on the 16th, and I really prefer for his couch and bed and whatever else NOT to be there when the woman tries to clean... I don't want to enter our new loft and see dirt in the areas where the cleaning woman couldn't access because a couch or bed was there.

Let's just say that if we divided rent into $/day, it's about $100 per day in rent. My boyfriend (who is a finance guy and more prickly about money than I am) wants to know why in the world we're paying $200 to basically make this guy's life easier. I don't really see the problem except that I want the place CLEAN and with his furniture around, it'll be harder for the cleaning woman to do her job.

I said it was fine because (a) it was pouring rain and I really didn't want to have an extended discussion (b) it took me by total surprise (c) I guess it's not *that* big of a deal.

But SO wants me to email this guy and tell him that he needs to get his stuff OUT on the last day of his lease, the 14th. My SO's philosophy is that we're all busy, it's a hassle to move, EVERYONE has that problem, why is he relying on our good will to leave his stuff for an extra two days? Not to mention that if I knew he needed to use our place as storage for two days, I would've asked for a discount on the kitchen counter which I paid whatever he asked for. Anyway, SO is kind of upset with me because he thinks I was too nice.

What do you gals think? Just forget about it and let it be? Or tell him to move his stuff out by the 14th?

Personally, I would rather just leave things as they are and just hope the good karma pays off, but I do feel a little weird about him waiting to tell me about the furniture after I've handed him a check for the kitchen island. We've emailed MANY MANY times.

I'm sorry... but I think your bf is right. You should ask the guy to move his stuff by the 14th. Tell him you've had a discussion with your SO and he's adamant that this gets done (which is true, anyway)

I know you were just trying to be nice but this guy is just using you to his advantage!

Good luck!

^^^^
Thanks. I'm so dumb... my SO also said, "What if he just leaves him stuff there for an extra couple days after that, what if we have to let their movers in and out because they're giving up their keys ,etc." We don't know these people at all, all we have is their good word that they'll move their stuff.

I HATE changing my mind like this on people, but he probably shouldn't have taken me by surprise!

^ ack, I was thinking the same thing! What if he no longer wants his furniture and will just leave it there?!

Call the guy and tell him that you're sorry BUT your bf is upset and wants him to move his stuff by the 14th.

IntlSet, I have to agree with your BF, though I don't think I'd get too worked up over it. Yes, you aren't planning to move in til the 17th but that's irrelevant as it pertains to the old tenant. It does get in your way (if only for the cleaning lady), not to mention the fact that he'll have access to YOUR private space 2 days longer than he is supposed to, if indeed, he'll honor his stated time schedule.

If this man is just the current tenant, I would advise to email him and ask him to move his items at the designated end of lease date. However, if he is in any way related to the landlord, you may want to consider.

YIKES!!! Yeah, I would be worried about that too. Don't be too tough on yourself though. I know how it is when you just want to get out of the rain! BTW....I don't know where your loft is, but will you be missing Molly's Cupcakes?.....lol.

I agree. but if you're scared he might do something to your kitchen island (considering that he could've asked before you handed him the check or if he gets annoyed *who knows*), you can make a deal. free kitchen island....2 days of furniture.

you're too nice. when someone took me by surprise and I said something that I regret later, I now make sure I quickly correct the situation before my mind thinks too much and cause more regrets. i've been there too many times.

So, tell him to get his stuff out on the 14th.

Why doesn't your SO email him? I would just have him say that he understood that he wanted to leave his stuff there, but he is having a cleaning person come in and would like to make their job easier by having an entirely empty apartment.

Or if you email him yourself, mention that you forgot about the cleaning person coming. To be honest, it's not like he gave you the island counter (that he probably had little use for), he made you pay for it. Your relationship is strictly financial, so treat it that way. Good luck!

I probably would have done the same thing in your situation and regretted it later. I would send him an e-mail and let him know that the 16th was the only day your could get a cleaning crew in there and he need to have his stuff out on the 15th. If he gives you any attitude, tell him that you are having the locks changed on the 15th. Either way, I would make sure that someone is there when he moves his things to make sure he doesn't do anything to the island.

I agree with your boyfriend, but I also think that your boyfriend should be the one to contact the guy. Like it or not, he pulled that because you're a woman and since your boyfriend isn't a woman, he won't pull that crap on him.

there's being nice then there's being accomodating to the point of sacrificing personal convenience. every apartment i've ever been in has required that i move out before the lease end date. this man should do the same. it's your apartment on the 15th, and you should be able to do what you need to do to get the apartment ready for you and your bf.

i would just email or talk to the current tenant in person and let him know that you're sorry, but you won't be able to let him keep his furniture in the place after all. hopefully, he understands and doesn't hassle you about it.

You were definitely too nice. It happens and usually when it catches us off guard. Just email him politely saying your SO insists his items are moved out, the day his lease ends. As your SO pointed out, what if the movers have a key and you have your belongings there. Strangers having access to your loft while you aren't there is definitely a no go!

Taking opposite side with this one. Let the guy leave his couch and bed - clean around it. More than likely it will be gone in two days and you did a very nice thing by making life a little easier for him.

I think there's a nice way of telling him you can't accommodate his things because you are hiring a cleaning service and their price is based on the apartment being empty.

Personally I believe that all his things should be moved out on his move out date. Once you move in, you may never hear from him again and then you're stuck with his miscellaneous items and the cost to remove them.