So ALL we own is LV, Gucci, Chanel?

I should post my collection. I have vintage, Tory Burch, Coach, Botkier, Hayden-Hartnett, Marc Jacobs and Louis Vuitton. I like a mix!

I love handbags and shoes, but I reeeeaaaallly just love fashion in general. IMHO, a bag doesn't make your outfit sexy or elegant... You have to look sexy or elegant and the bag completes the look. It doesn't matter whether the bag was $50 or $5k... The bag just needs to "work."

I agree!!

I will say that, in the bag showcase, I do see a lot of those designers that you mentioned but, I also see a lot of other designers on there too. I've learned about a lot of designers that I didn't even know were out there because of the bag showcase.
I think too that a lot of people who DO own those designers that you mentioned, usually post pictures of their higher end stuff first but, if you keep reading on in that thread, you will usually see that those same people have bags from other designers or non-designers.

keep looking, they're there :tup: or better yet, do a search and bump up some collection threads YOU like :idea:

I can assure you, there are definitely tPFers out there who don't own only the higher-end, well-known brands! :biggrin: Someone upthread mentioned tonij's collection of indie designers, and there are definitely other members who primarily own indie/mid-range designers too. (Loquita is another fantastic tPFer whose collection thread I love seeing, for starters.)

I don't have a showcase thread, but my small collection consists entirely of mid-range designers too, e.g. Jenny Yuen, Treesje, Botkier, Ignes. Where relevant, I post reveal threads or pics of my bags in the respective subforums. If you want to check out other designers, the "Designers" category of subforums is a great place to start!

Another thing I personally like doing is posting pics of my bags in the "What handbag are you carrying today?" thread here. It's often a good place to check out other bags by various designers that I otherwise might not look at too. (I've definitely discovered a few other designers that way. ;)) HTH! There's definitely more to tPF than just the big names!

well i don't post my collection, but i own regular brand bags too like from The Limited, Dooney and Bourke, Coach, marc by marc jacobs, hello kitty, etc. i mean, i do own some LV and used to own a gucci but i think maybe some people see these as the popular brands that other posters would have the most interest in seeing, maybe?

maybe i'll post my ugly non-designer collection of handbags for diversity :lol:

I should post my collection. I have vintage, Tory Burch, Coach, Botkier, Hayden-Hartnett, Marc Jacobs and Louis Vuitton. I like a mix!

I love handbags and shoes, but I reeeeaaaallly just love fashion in general. IMHO, a bag doesn't make your outfit sexy or elegant... You have to look sexy or elegant and the bag completes the look. It doesn't matter whether the bag was $50 or $5k... The bag just needs to "work."

i agreee!! but sometimes spending the extra $$$ is worth the craftmanship and durability! i have this black purse i bought at the limited for like $40 that i've used and abused for the past 2 years. i know if i had probably bought a better constructed bag and paid a lil more, it'll last longer. unfortunately, i have to occasionally retire it so it doesn't fall apart :sad:

Well, nothing the OP listed is really a lower end brand, she just listed brands that are still expensive just less popular on this forum/probably among the general population. Lower end brands are bags like Nine West, Guess, Fossil, etc. Or private label bags. I have many lower end bags that I do like and use sometimes, I'm sure many of us do, but nobody cares about them on this forum so I think that's why they aren't discussed and photographed very often.

I would post my collection but I have trouble loading pics - can't seem to ever get my photos attached to my posts :sad:

I think there are plenty of brands showcased on this forum - it's simply a matter of looking and doing a search. Also, some people might not post their entire collection all in one go, they might instead post their purchases in individual designer sub forums :idea:

Thanks for all the input guys!

I'll look for the threads suggested. Yes, I'm guilty of looking mostly at the top 15 or so commented on :biggrin:

I'm thinking of posting my collection but, like many one here, I buy and sell a lot.

FINALLY, I'm whittling down my collection to a select few that I'll keep :woohoo:

Thus far I've been a Coach and Kate Spade gal. As I'm looking to my 1st more upscale bag I had thought I'd go
with LV but the more I read and look at bags I'm finding myself drawn to several Valentino bags.

What can I say, we are sheep ? ;)

No but seriously, I think people are more likely to showcase these items because they generally get more response than others. Buying a brand is, among other things, a social thing as you group yourself together with others who buy it. The above mentioned brands are the ones with the most followers here on tpF so their exposure in the showcase forum is quite expexted. ALso, as many treads here show, a lot of people think of brands as in a "hierarchy", the brands mentioned being in the top most known and highest rated make them perfect items to show off as well. =) Someone with less known or celebrated brand names would maybe be more reluctant to show off as they either thiink it holds little interest to others. Just some thoughts.

While I do agree with you, OP, I also see a lot of other brands that are mid-range, but then again, even if those are very common, i.e. Coach, Dooney, Marc by MJ. Hmm... it is quite discouraging, and I know that some other brands are displayed that are not that well-known, but even those are very rarely shown.

Last edited:
A very, very, very small percentage of members post their collections comprehensively, if at all. That's why subforums of designers exist. Check out your favorites to see pics.

If you're interested in other designers, simply look at the subforums or do a search. I don't see why the ppl who do post their collections should be critiqued for not having what YOU would want.

Last edited:
The brands you listed as being prevalent are all classic brands. The brands have been established in the handbag world for decades (Hermes has been making bags for over 100 years). That means they attract many ages, people have had years to build collections, the bags are mostly season-less (there are exceptions) so people keep the bags in their collections, and there has been plenty of time to develop brand loyalty.

I used to have a very diverse collection, but I have really paired down to two classic brands. I've sold off some Valentino, Marc Jacobs, Gryson, Zac Posen...
I have enjoyed my bags, but they change along with trends. I prefer to invest in bags I can still use 10-20 years from now without looking dated. That is not to say that LV, Gucci, Chanel, and Hermes are the only brands with staying power and classic designs... but they have solid records.