Snowboarding / Mammoth, CA --- help!

You're in hawaii, now, correct? Why Mammoth and not Colorado? I mean, you're gonna be flying into the state as it stands.

He lives in the LA area. I'll be flying into LA to see him, and we'll go from there. I guess he was thinking Mammoth because we could drive to it.

you're going to love it. i was apprehensive the first time i went snowboarding but since then i've been addicted. take lessons if it will make you feel comfortable.

I was also gonna second (or third) the idea of renting. Maybe he knows some female friends who can laon you some clothes? If you absolutely hate it, no biggie, if you love it, buy some of your own down the road.
Honestly, I'd LOVE to go skiing/snowboarding, and really, as long as you're layered enough, you won't be that cold. Besides, the great thing about skiing is you get all worn out and chilly skiing, then you get to go lounge in the warm jacuzzi later that night!

Just my 2 cents because I'm a skiier and have only tried snowboarding once. I don't like it as much by my DH goes does both. Snowboarding is a lot easier to become proficient than skiing and it doesn't take long.

Definitely take a lesson, and if you know someone to borrow clothes from that would be the easiest and definitely rent your equipment as others have suggested. Spring skiing is the best too. Bluebird sunny days (and not too cold, if you're from Hawaii you might find it a bit cold). You'll probably even see people skiing in shorts and t-shirts on sunny days. You're at a high elevation so make sure to use a good sunscreen too. Hope you have a great time.

I go to Mammoth at least once a year or more for last couple years...it's all right but if I can choose, I'd rather go to Utah or Colorado for snowboarding. The only reason I go to Mammoth is 'cause I live in Southern Cal., and I can drive there.

The gears cost quite a lot...if you do not have any or borrow from anyone you know. It's kinda hard to borrow from someone 'cause your height and weight will affect the length of the board( for instance I am 5'4'' and 110lbs and I ride 157, but I ride it a little long......if the plate is longer than it should be, you have more speed but is hard to control...I used to ride 154), plus the gears can get damaged.....

Plate 300~800
Binding 250~450
Boots 150~350 (I recommend BOA system, if you are a beginner....sitting on the snow to tie the laces can be a pain, just go click click click w/ the BOA system)
Jacket+Pants 250~600 + Inner wear (you can wear anything that you have like a warm hoodie)
Goggles 150
Gloves 70 (get a good one that fits your hands well)
Beanies around 20~40 (they are pretty affordable....:P )

All together, you can actually afford a LV. You can rent all those above, plate, binding are fine....but the idea of wearing boots, jacket and pants that other people have does not please me much personally.

I have been snowboarding for last 10 years. I ski too, but to me snowboarding is by far the best and funnest sport.

There is no LV in Mammoth though...hehe...enjoy snowboarding there and then go to South Coast Plaza for shopping since your BF lives in LA.

If you have any other questions, let me know.

Spring break is a good time to go to Mammoth.
Have fun w/ your BF and BE CAREFUL when you snowboard.

don't worry, it can be so much fun if you let it. i've only been skiing once in my life but i am going on a trip with my boyfriend for his birthday. obviously we won't be skiing together, but it should still be fun.

definitely RENT your equipment. there's no point in buying hundreds of dollars worth of snowboarding gear if you're not even sure if you'll like it. try to find some cheap ski gear (look online, since you're in HI. it's later in the season, so there are a ton of things on sale).

have fun and good luck!