Snipe Concern

boston girl

Dec 22, 2007
I have a question for all the experts here: Is anyone ever concerned about giving their eBay password to an online snipeing company? I understand it's necessary if you want them to do your bidding for you, but I'm not totally comfortable with the thought of giving away my password information... TIA for your input/advice!

That's the reason why I've never used a sniper.
While some people use them without any problems,
others' accounts have been hijacked. I play it safe.

This is what I found out at Goofbay when I did a search about privacy issues:

"it is 100% safe. goofbay, is a recognised and well established "safe" comunity, and recomended by all the top names, like money saving expert, martin laurence, from GMTV . the tool works by you regestering, and submitting your info, ebay name, and password tot he tool, that is then encripted so even the admin cant see it.
after that you just set up the snipes, and the tool will do its best to bid on the items you ant it to, by loggin into ebay, and bidding in your name"

"It is as safe as manual bidding from your own computer, as Mark says.
There have never been any known security problems experienced by using the Goofbay sniper."

Just recently someone here started a thread about her account being hijacked, wondering how or why it happened, etc. I remember asking her if she had signed up for a sniper service, and it turned out she had--the day before. It happens. Sometimes it's safe, sometimes it isn't. But there's always going to be a risk when you give out your user ID and password for whatever purpose.

I used to use one quite a bit but haven't been doing much buying anymore so I don't now.
I did set up a snipe for a bag a few days ago but I lost anyway. When I do use one though, I use justsnipe.com (free) and I've never had a problem.

Sniping is cheating!! :P i like bidding in the last few seconds myself, so i havent used a snipe service. But now that you mention it i wouldnt like somebody else having my user name and password.

I do this. I bought for 5$ the Paypal ID (like an RSA key) that I put on my keychain, and I can associate it with my PP account (if I choose) or just associate it with my ebay account (again, not required by PP or having the key) requiring the fob's generated 6 digit key to be entered in EVEN IF i enter in my password. It's an extra level of security, and despite the fact I have yet to be hacked, I'm not going to allow it either.

Sniping is cheating!! :P i like bidding in the last few seconds myself, so i havent used a snipe service. But now that you mention it i wouldnt like somebody else having my user name and password.

This has been debated dozens of times. It is not cheating. And if you really want to win, it's the way to go.

The auction I wanted to win was ending at 4:00 in the morning. I didn't really want to be up all night to win, nor did I want to set my alarm clock that early. I kind-of thought it strange for the seller to choose to end an auction at such a miserable hour. Anyhow, I didn't snipe. But I've lost so many auctions in the past, that I think it would be great to win a few with sniping once in a while.

Bunnymasseuse If you utilize an RSA key, wouldn't it make it impossible to enlist a sniper to do your last minute bidding? I like the idea though, to add that extra security...