Snakeskin/Python?

1. Hi! We are running a fun little TPF community giveaway to win a new Polene bag! Head over to this thread to enter. Good luck!
    Dismiss Notice
Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. Hi guys,

I've just received this vintage snakeskin leather cardholder from Celine, unfortunately I know basically nada about snakeskin/python leather.

Is it supposed to look like this, with the scales and all? Picture attached. [​IMG]

How do I take care of it? Now I'm considering returning even though it cost only about 50 bucks, because I'm the clumsiest person in the world and don't know if I could take good care of it, it's so freaking delicate :sad:

Thanks so much!

2. From what I can see, it looks fine, there are many treatments of python and other snakeskin, from the skin shaven smooth, others left long and visibly scaly and all kinds in-between, under-dyed, over-dyed and hand-pained etc. A search will reveal there are many threads on this subject regard maintenance.

I really hope you don't return it, for that money I would relax enjoy it ;)

3. I ended up testing a bit of my regular leather moisturiser on it, and it worked pretty well to smooth the scales back down! You're right, i think the slight peeling is a little bit characteristic of snakeskin in general, so i'm just going to attach it to the handles of a bag and use it as a pretty cardholder accessory :smile:

papertiger likes this.
  4. So pleased it worked out, it's such a beautiful piece :tup:

hotcrossbiscuit likes this.
  5. Thank you for the kind words :flowers: In any case it's a lesson worth learning for me - i'm nowhere near dedicated or diligent enough to give a snakeskin leather bag the care it would deserve :P at least, not yet...