Snakeskin/Python?

Apr 24, 2016
Hi guys,

I've just received this vintage snakeskin leather cardholder from Celine, unfortunately I know basically nada about snakeskin/python leather.

Is it supposed to look like this, with the scales and all? Picture attached.
B50N6XS.jpg

How do I take care of it? Now I'm considering returning even though it cost only about 50 bucks, because I'm the clumsiest person in the world and don't know if I could take good care of it, it's so freaking delicate :sad:

Thanks so much!

From what I can see, it looks fine, there are many treatments of python and other snakeskin, from the skin shaven smooth, others left long and visibly scaly and all kinds in-between, under-dyed, over-dyed and hand-pained etc. A search will reveal there are many threads on this subject regard maintenance.

I really hope you don't return it, for that money I would relax enjoy it ;)

From what I can see, it looks fine, there are many treatments of python and other snakeskin, from the skin shaven smooth, others left long and visibly scaly and all kinds in-between, under-dyed, over-dyed and hand-pained etc. A search will reveal there are many threads on this subject regard maintenance.

I really hope you don't return it, for that money I would relax enjoy it ;)

I ended up testing a bit of my regular leather moisturiser on it, and it worked pretty well to smooth the scales back down! You're right, i think the slight peeling is a little bit characteristic of snakeskin in general, so i'm just going to attach it to the handles of a bag and use it as a pretty cardholder accessory :smile:

Reactions: papertiger
I ended up testing a bit of my regular leather moisturiser on it, and it worked pretty well to smooth the scales back down! You're right, i think the slight peeling is a little bit characteristic of snakeskin in general, so i'm just going to attach it to the handles of a bag and use it as a pretty cardholder accessory :smile:

So pleased it worked out, it's such a beautiful piece :tup:

Reactions: hotcrossbiscuit