SNAD, unsure how to proceed

shoplove

Jun 26, 2008
Hi all. I'm hoping you can advise me on what to do in a certain situation.

I recently purchased a great vintage Chanel jacket on ebay. When I received it, I noticed that the lining on the bottom hem was sloppily stitched, showing that the coat had been altered in some way (and poorly). I was upset and emailed the seller, who insisted that the jacket was in pristine vintage condition and she hadn't altered it in any way, and she had bought it in a consignment shop. I replied that she may not have altered it, but it was altered, and poorly so, and she should have disclosed it. She then sent me several successive emails, the first stating that she "doesn't have time for this headache", the second to "send the jacket back", and the third to "send the jacket back already!!!" (they were all sent in the space of a couple of hours so I'm not sure why they escalated in tone, or why she seemed to expect by the third message that the jacket should have suddenly materialized).

She also emailed a couple of times the next morning, which to be honest, freaked me out. The messages were all frantic, some in all caps, all with exclamation points. She insisted I return the jacket. I was concerned b/c a) she seemed really imbalanced, and b) I didn't want to return the jacket and have her not refund me because she was so angry.

So I let a few days pass to think things over, and I decided that I would just keep the jacket, in part to avoid conflict, and also because I really do love it. I decided I would take it to a tailor to fix the hem, and also have it taken in slightly at the waist as it's slightly big (it's fine with sweaters, but in the spring it will be a little too loose, I think). While I was looking at the seams on the side of the jacket to see where the material would be taken in, I noticed that the sides of the jacket had been altered as well! Also poorly! At this point, I have the whole jacket a solid look over, and saw that the underarms and sides were taken in, and that one sleeve is actually coming APART at the seams!

At this, I emailed the seller. I let her know that I really do love the jacket and would like to keep it afterall, but that the jacket has been altered extensively and very sloppily. I pointed out that although she had previously insisted it was in PRISTINE condition, one sleeve was actually coming off. I stated that what I would most like is to keep the jacket, but for her to reimburse me for the costs to fix the previous tailoring (not taking it in, but actually fixing the sloppily done seams as well as the sleeve that's falling off). She replied that she refuses, and instead I should send the jacket back. Also, I fear I maybe offended her with my remarks about the tailoring, b/c based on other items that she's purchased on ebay (buttons, and sewing books), I think it's very possible that she did do the alterations herself.

So...basically I don't know what to do. I really have grown to love the jacket, but I'm really upset that it's in such poor condition which wasn't disclosed. NO MATTER WHAT, I would like to keep the jacket, b/c even with the damages I did buy it at a very good price...HOWEVER, I thought I was buying it for a good price without damages, not at a good price that I will have to pay loads more for because I need to find a tailor that I trust well enough to alter this jacket (and from what I've seen, altering high end clothes is expensive).

I obviously can't make her give me a partial refund. I also think that in general, partial refunds are done by sellers to quiet their pain in the butt buyers, and I don't want to be one of those. I also think that I legitimately am not one, but that she is at fault here. I don't want to cause trouble and file a claim, but I'm really upset not only that she didn't disclose this, but that she refuses to admit that anything was wrong with the jacket.

So I guess I'm asking, what would you do if you were me? And as far as feedback, since she is offering to refund the jacket if I send it back, which I don't really want to do, should I leave a neutral feedback? I'd hate to leave a negative, esp as she is offering to redress this in some way, I don't want to do that. Should I just leave no feedback?

Sorry this was a book!

If I were you I'd send it back for a refund, but that's just me. If you want to keep it that's fine but as you know the seller is not obligated to do a partial refund. It seems to me she disagrees about the altering and maybe she thinks you're just reaching for a reason to complain and get some money back. It happens.

If you keep it and feel you want to leave a neutral you can state in your feedback that there was some damage that was not disclosed, but that the seller did offer a return, maybe something about unfriendly communication. Or if you don't feel comfortable leaving a neutral don't leave feedback at all, I have done this before.

^^I agree

Personally, I would return the jacket. The seller is offering you the opportunity to get a refund and you can look again for a jacket that meets your needs. If she purchased it from a consignment shop and doesn't pay as closely to details as you do, it is very likely that she didn't notice the stitching. She is probably freaking out because of all the scammers and she's afraid she might not get her jacket back and lose her money.

Since the seller is working with you I don't think they deserve a negative, the neutral would reflect the discrepancy between their description of the item and what you actually received. If you do leave neutral feedback just state the facts. "Jacket stitching was off, seller offered a full refund, I decided to keep it." But honestly returning it would just make things easier. How much will the repairs cost? And I'm not sure why you'd need to file a claim, the seller is offering a refund. The seller said she won't give a partial refund so returning it for a full refund is the only resolution they (ebay/paypal) would give you.To be honest, it kinda sounds like you're wanting a partial refund. That might be another reason why the seller is freaking out. She thinks you're trying to get an even better deal by complaining about the stitching so she'll give you partial refund.

How much are the repairs?
Depending on the price of the repairs, since you really like the jacket and got it for a good price. I would actually keep the jacket!:smile:
Once you got the estimate, you could see if the seller can work out a deal with you.
Btw, the all caps could mean nothing. She could have been typing without paying attention.

^^I agree

Personally, I would return the jacket. The seller is offering you the opportunity to get a refund and you can look again for a jacket that meets your needs. If she purchased it from a consignment shop and doesn't pay as closely to details as you do, it is very likely that she didn't notice the stitching. She is probably freaking out because of all the scammers and she's afraid she might not get her jacket back and lose her money.

Since the seller is working with you I don't think they deserve a negative, the neutral would reflect the discrepancy between their description of the item and what you actually received. If you do leave neutral feedback just state the facts. "Jacket stitching was off, seller offered a full refund, I decided to keep it." But honestly returning it would just make things easier. How much will the repairs cost? And I'm not sure why you'd need to file a claim, the seller is offering a refund. The seller said she won't give a partial refund so returning it for a full refund is the only resolution they (ebay/paypal) would give you.To be honest, it kinda sounds like you're wanting a partial refund. That might be another reason why the seller is freaking out. She thinks you're trying to get an even better deal by complaining about the stitching so she'll give you partial refund.

You are right, ideally I would want a partial refund to cover the cost of the tailoring. However, it's clear that she doesn't want to do that, so obviously I can't make her. And since I have really gotten attached to the jacket (it's not a tweed or boucle, and I haven't found one in this style before), I am just going to keep it and swallow the tailoring costs. And I do think you're right that she's freaking out thinking that I'm going to keep the jacket and file a claim or something, which of course I wouldn't, b/c I've dealt with horrible buyers before.

So at this point, I guess I am mostly asking about the feedback, since I don't want to return the jacket. I do feel bad because she's clearly willing to do something, which not all sellers are willing to do. But to get offended and not accept the fact that the jacket was damaged, or to understand she needs to disclose this in future auctions is not okay. She's not asking for the jacket back because she's agreeing she should have listed the condition correctly--she's asking for it back b/c she has called me a "headache" and doesn't want to deal with me, when she should have been more careful.

I think in general that sellers get the short end of the stick on ebay, but there's no need to be overly defensive or rude. There's also no excuse with not being accurate in describing the item you're selling. So I'm willing to eat the tailoring costs since it's my decision to keep the jacket, but I'm not happy with her response.

How much are the repairs?
Depending on the price of the repairs, since you really like the jacket and got it for a good price. I would actually keep the jacket!:smile:
Once you got the estimate, you could see if the seller can work out a deal with you.
Btw, the all caps could mean nothing. She could have been typing without paying attention.

Ha, that's true about the caps...it was the combo of caps and the quick succession of emails that was weird.

And I don't know how much the repairs will cost b/c I haven't gone to the tailor yet, mostly b/c I've been trying to find one that's reputable, b/c I haven't been to one yet in the city I live in (and I moved here 2 years ago...amazing). I was going to get estimates this weekend of one that seems to have really good reviews on yelp, and also Neiman Marcus b/c I know they alter new Chanel jackets. So we'll see...

So at this point, I guess I am mostly asking about the feedback, since I don't want to return the jacket. I do feel bad because she's clearly willing to do something, which not all sellers are willing to do. But to get offended and not accept the fact that the jacket was damaged, or to understand she needs to disclose this in future auctions is not okay. She's not asking for the jacket back because she's agreeing she should have listed the condition correctly--she's asking for it back b/c she has called me a "headache" and doesn't want to deal with me, when she should have been more careful.

Based on this I don't think a neutral is out of line, however if it makes you uncomfortable or feeling guilt over it will weigh on you just leave nothing and try to let it go. Not easy I know when you feel you haven't been treated in a considerate way but life is short, and all that good stuff. :smile:

Ha, that's true about the caps...it was the combo of caps and the quick succession of emails that was weird.

And I don't know how much the repairs will cost b/c I haven't gone to the tailor yet, mostly b/c I've been trying to find one that's reputable, b/c I haven't been to one yet in the city I live in (and I moved here 2 years ago...amazing). I was going to get estimates this weekend of one that seems to have really good reviews on yelp, and also Neiman Marcus b/c I know they alter new Chanel jackets. So we'll see...

The seller could have had a bad day!;)
Re-approach her with a written estimate, she might surprise you:smile:
It does not hurt to try and you could get a positive result.

My Friday the 13th came early today, so maybe the seller was having a crisis of her own. The PO almost got me good..........I was distracted all day at work and out of sorts because of it.

She's not asking for the jacket back because she's agreeing she should have listed the condition correctly--she's asking for it back b/c she has called me a "headache" and doesn't want to deal with me, when she should have been more careful.
I disagree. I'm not saying it's the case here, but I think she's asking for the jacket back because she has probably heard that buyers find "issues" and request partial refunds in an effort to get lower prices on the items than they paid. Many sellers would rather take the item back and resell than to get into giving partials.
The seller could have had a bad day!;)
Re-approach her with a written estimate, she might surprise you:smile:
It does not hurt to try and you could get a positive result.
I'm afraid the repair might be more expensive than the OP thinks.

Personally, I'd return it, take the refund and search for another.

You had this authenticated in the authenticate this Chanel thread on the 22nd of December. ColorfulBelle suggested that there had been alterations, so presumably you knew to expect that before you paid for it. From the design and label it's an older jacket, so it would be normal to expect that it's been used and people who shell out big money on jackets (thousands of dollars for a Chanel Wool and Silk blazer) might have had them tailored at some point. You say that you have got attached to it.

http://forum.purseblog.com/chanel-shopping/authenticate-chanel-read-rules-use-format-post-1-a-689647-767.html#post20598010

In my opinion, it is a bit late to be asking for returns. Some people also hate requests for partial refunds. There was also an an opportunity to ask questions before you hit the bid button. The price doesn't seem out of line for a used Chanel Jacket. Why not resell it? Take some totally gorgeous photos and list it.

You had this authenticated in the authenticate this Chanel thread on the 22nd of December. ColorfulBelle suggested that there had been alterations, so presumably you knew to expect that before you paid for it.

http://forum.purseblog.com/chanel-s...-format-post-1-a-689647-767.html#post20598010

In my opinion, it is a bit late to be asking for returns. Why not resell it? Take some totally gorgeous photos and list it.
Good catch. Why didn't I think of searching for the authentication?

Based on the new information, I agree with Shinymagpie that you should keep and resell it. And of course, you'll offer full disclosure so your buyer will know what to expect.

if this jacket has had all the alterations it has, personally would send it back..

think that you may have a hard or difficult time selling it... that's just my opinion

and to have it re-repaired may be more $$ that you may or may not be able

to get back by selling it... also, as we here on the forum found the jacket

a potential buyer may do research see it & what you paid for it...so if you must must

have it, then do what you like but me, I'd send it back & find another or something else..