Snad return etiquette

mster425

Feb 8, 2015
I bought a bag (under 200) that the seller mislabeled as a larger bag. She didn't post dimensions, just the (wrong) name, so I thought I was buying the one she said she was selling.

This bag is too small for me and I think she should take it back. What's the etiquette? Ask for a return first, or just file a request through ebay? I'm pretty sure this is one of her first sales so I don't know if she'll even know how to send me a label or anything, but I don't want to ding her for an honest mistake. It was also listed as nwot and is clearly used and scuffed, but I'm just looking at that as a perils of buying on eBay thing and not worth mentioning to her

I bought a bag (under 200) that the seller mislabeled as a larger bag. She didn't post dimensions, just the (wrong) name, so I thought I was buying the one she said she was selling.

This bag is too small for me and I think she should take it back. What's the etiquette? Ask for a return first, or just file a request through ebay? I'm pretty sure this is one of her first sales so I don't know if she'll even know how to send me a label or anything, but I don't want to ding her for an honest mistake. It was also listed as nwot and is clearly used and scuffed, but I'm just looking at that as a perils of buying on eBay thing and not worth mentioning to her

This is a bit tough as usually I would say message the seller first & tell them you want to return it. I still think you should see what the seller is willing to do. If they will pay return shipping, its better for them and less hassle for you to just do a simple return.

That said, this seller needs to learn about listing measurements, honest condition etc... I would want to give a newbie a break too but they need to learn. Who's to say they won't keep up with these bad seller practises? It's a tough call. Either way I would certainly give them some advice via the message system about future listings..

I'm sure some others will be along soon to give some advice..

Good luck!

I'd email the seller to let her know of her error.

Explain that she'd listed it with a style name that indicates a larger similar bag and without the requisite measurements in the lisitng, you had no way of knowing that the actual bag is a different and smaller one.

Tell her that you realize that she's a new seller so you don't want to ding her by opening a dispute but you cannot use this smaller bag and want to return it. Perhaps you can explain how she can send you a shipping label.

Etiquette says send a nice message explaining that it's not what was described, and how you thought you were buying the larger bag listed.

Remember eBay will look at all these messages in order to rule on a refund if you have to start a dispute, so always be polite and stick to one story.

If she doesn't respond as you wish, then you can start the SNAD dispute, and eBay gives her a week to respond and you can either agree to a solution or escalate it.

You'll get to add pictures to the dispute, so I'd add one with a ruler showing true measurements of the bag.

I wanted to address this highlighted sentence. I do not agree with you not mentioning this to the seller. Listing a bag NWOT when it is clearly used and scuffed is completely dishonest.
Chalking that mistake up to the seller being a newbie is wrong. It doesn't take a person with 1000 listing behind them to see that a bag has been used!
If it were me I'd tell the seller that her listing was incorrect and the item needs to be returned as it is a snad.

I do not agree with you not mentioning this to the seller. Listing a bag NWOT when it is clearly used and scuffed is completely dishonest.
Chalking that mistake up to the seller being a newbie is wrong. It doesn't take a person with 1000 listing behind them to see that a bag has been used!
If it were me I'd tell the seller that her listing was incorrect and the item needs to be returned as it is a snad.

Agree 1000%.

It was also listed as nwot and is clearly used and scuffed, but I'm just looking at that as a perils of buying on eBay thing and not worth mentioning to her

I wanted to address this highlighted sentence. I do not agree with you not mentioning this to the seller. Listing a bag NWOT when it is clearly used and scuffed is completely dishonest.
I also agree. And in fact, listing a used item as NWOT (which means NEW and UNUSED) is a violation of ebay's policy since the policy is very specific about what the definition of new is.

The following is from ebay and if this is a new seller, she needs an enlightening! http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/contextual/condition_2.html

Condition

New with tags

A brand-new, unused, and unworn item (including handmade items) in the original packaging (such as the original box or bag) and/or with the original tags attached.

New without tags

A brand-new, unused, and unworn item (including handmade items) that is not in original packaging or may be missing original packaging materials (such as the original box or bag). The original tags may not be attached.

New with defects

A brand-new, unused, and unworn item. Possible cosmetic imperfections range from natural color variations to scuffs, cuts or nicks, hanging threads or missing buttons that occasionally occur during the manufacturing or delivery process. The apparel may contain irregular or mismarked size tags. The item may be missing the original packaging materials (such as original box or tag). New factory seconds and/or new irregular items may fall into this category. The original tags may or may not be attached. See the seller’s listing for full details and description of any imperfections.

Pre-owned

An item that has been used or worn previously. See the seller’s listing for full details and description of any imperfections.

Thanks for all the feedback. The husband responded that his wife sold it and she's at work. I have the larger bag that I thought I ordered in another color, so I included side by side shots and will include ones with a measuring tape if she argues with me.

I also mentioned the "NWOT" issue to the seller. The bag was in VGUC, small scuffs in the corners and minor staining that could be removed- but yes you're right that it is dishonest to call it new, so I did bring it up.