SNAD Fendi Spy Bag :(

Bon Voyage

Aug 16, 2014
Sorry in advance for the length, feeling upset, and need to vent.

Anyways, I am having my first major eBay issue today. I bid on and won a Fendi Spy bag that I had authenticated on September 28th. It was listed as good condition with normal wear, and having a distressed leather look. I expected the light discoloration from normal wear, etc. I have bought preloved Dooneys, Tokidoki, etc before and it always ended favorably.

My husband picked up this parcel today from the PO. The box was a medium flat rate box, the narrow and flat kind. Upon opening this box, there was another smaller mailing box inside, and then upon opening that there was a plastic mailer. The plastic mailer contained my very squashed Fendi Spy bag. I also want to add that I paid $20.00 for shipping.

Pulling the bag out, I was dismayed at how worn out this bag is. I started telling myself that maybe I'm being too hard on it, until my husband pointed out an almost dime sized hole in the leather on one of the bottom corners. Then the numerous tears, including another almost hole forming on another corner. The leather is so used it feels thin to the touch. Then I noticed a large blemish on the front of the bag. It is a black color, and it is very noticeable in person. None of these issues were disclosed in the auction, in fact it was listed in good condition with normal wear.

I sent the seller a message immediately, describing all of these issues. While doing this I was thinking of the other thread here about that seller with the Balenciaga bag, and how the buyer was upset over a tiny blemish on the bag that wasn't described. So imagine my disgust with the condition of this purse. I thought I got a great deal at the time, but upon seeing this bag in person I would not have purchased it. This is a bag that would be destined for Goodwill, in my opinion. I would not even wear it out in public.

Looking over the auction photos I can now see where the blemish is, but to me it looked like the lighting, and she never described/disclosed it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/331326286622?_trksid=p2060778.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Now if the seller doesn't answer favorably, I have seen BeenBurned advise in the past that SNAD cases are better through eBay? Thanks in advance for the advice. And to be clear, for $300 I was not expecting a perfect bag, but I also wasn't expecting a bag that I wouldn't even purchase from a secondhand store...

Photos do not show the blemish nearly as well as in person, it is a large and long stain.

imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/429x501q90/904/9IUVNX.png
imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/441x515q90/913/RYjIlp.png
imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/425x499q90/903/MIwbk1.png

Sorry in advance for the length, feeling upset, and need to vent.

Anyways, I am having my first major eBay issue today. I bid on and won a Fendi Spy bag that I had authenticated on September 28th. It was listed as good condition with normal wear, and having a distressed leather look. I expected the light discoloration from normal wear, etc. I have bought preloved Dooneys, Tokidoki, etc before and it always ended favorably.

My husband picked up this parcel today from the PO. The box was a medium flat rate box, the narrow and flat kind. Upon opening this box, there was another smaller mailing box inside, and then upon opening that there was a plastic mailer. The plastic mailer contained my very squashed Fendi Spy bag. I also want to add that I paid $20.00 for shipping.

Pulling the bag out, I was dismayed at how worn out this bag is. I started telling myself that maybe I'm being too hard on it, until my husband pointed out an almost dime sized hole in the leather on one of the bottom corners. Then the numerous tears, including another almost hole forming on another corner. The leather is so used it feels thin to the touch. Then I noticed a large blemish on the front of the bag. It is a black color, and it is very noticeable in person. None of these issues were disclosed in the auction, in fact it was listed in good condition with normal wear.

I sent the seller a message immediately, describing all of these issues. While doing this I was thinking of the other thread here about that seller with the Balenciaga bag, and how the buyer was upset over a tiny blemish on the bag that wasn't described. So imagine my disgust with the condition of this purse. I thought I got a great deal at the time, but upon seeing this bag in person I would not have purchased it. This is a bag that would be destined for Goodwill, in my opinion. I would not even wear it out in public.

Looking over the auction photos I can now see where the blemish is, but to me it looked like the lighting, and she never described/disclosed it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/331326286622?_trksid=p2060778.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Now if the seller doesn't answer favorably, I have seen BeenBurned advise in the past that SNAD cases are better through eBay? Thanks in advance for the advice. And to be clear, for $300 I was not expecting a perfect bag, but I also wasn't expecting a bag that I wouldn't even purchase from a secondhand store...

Photos do not show the blemish nearly as well as in person, it is a large and long stain.

imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/429x501q90/904/9IUVNX.png
imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/441x515q90/913/RYjIlp.png
imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/425x499q90/903/MIwbk1.png
Yes, that bag is beat. Not in "good condition". Open a case through eBay if the seller is difficult about a return. Provide your pics.

The seller responded already to my message and photos. Seller's response:

"I am very sorry that you are not happy with the handbag, the bag is in good condition and the corner wear is normal in any bag I took as best photos as possible and in those photos you can see the wear in the corners the different shade starting in the front of the bag that is common that's why the bag looks destressed That is why I said in the listing to ask any questions needed before placing a bid so problems like this don't arise. The hand bag was sold at a really good price all other spy bags on ebay are a lot more. I am sorry but I truly don't feel that I mislead you with my description for this bag, I will not refund you because the item was properly described, As I said on my description this is a final sale."

I didn't feel the need to ask a question beforehand, because of the provided photos and description of the bag being in good condition with normal wear. I did not see any holes, or that discoloration... So a blackish blemish on brown leather is "distressed"? How about no, that would be the cause for the lighter colors? Am I confused here?

Also, when I open a SNAD case on eBay the best option would be to choose "It doesn't match the listing" from the dropdown menu? I don't want to mess this up. Thanks!

Yes, you should open a dispute in Ebay that the item doesn't match the description.

Who would know to ask whether the bag has holes in the corners?!?!? This is not normal wear; it's trashed and the seller's continued denial of the poor condition is awful!

Yes, you should open a dispute in Ebay that the item doesn't match the description.

Who would know to ask whether the bag has holes in the corners?!?!? This is not normal wear; it's trashed and the seller's continued denial of the poor condition is awful!

I opened it. I even included your wording of who would know to ask questions about the corners. I thought that summed up my feelings perfectly! I hate confrontation so much, so this is hard for me. :sad:

Thank you both for the advice so far. I need the support. I mean, if my husband even goes omg that bag looks baaaad, something is wrong!

Agreed. You can't just fail to mention things like holes in a bag and then complain that the buyer wasn't psychically gifted enough to know to ask about them.:nono:

Sorry you have to deal with this difficulty. :sad:

Last edited:
Agreed. You can't just fail to mention things like holes in a bag and then complain that the buyer wasn't psychically gifted enough to know to ask about them.:nono:

Open the eBay case ASAP with the "doesn't match the description" choice.

Done, but I didn't see a thing to upload photos. So I assume if I have to escalate it I can?

Edit: My husband just said that maybe her idea of distress is the violent scary kind? Like the bag being beaten with a hammer distressed?

Done, but I didn't see a thing to upload photos. So I assume if I have to escalate it I can?

Edit: My husband just said that maybe her idea of distress is the violent scary kind? Like the bag being beaten with a hammer distressed?

LOL OK. Yes, "distressed" as in traumatized from years of abuse. :P

Yes, they give your seller time to respond. If she still doesn't budge you will have to escalate.

If you go into the claim in the resolution center, you'll be able to upload photos - the tool is on the right-hand side of the page, near the bottom.

If you go into the claim in the resolution center, you'll be able to upload photos - the tool is on the right-hand side of the page, near the bottom.

I'm not seeing a Claim in the resolution center at all. But on My eBay I can see text below my purchase saying that Return has been initiated. View return details. When I click that it says that the seller has until Oct 07th, 2014 to respond, or if there's a problem just ask us to step in and help on Oct 07th, 2014. So I guess I can't do anything until it's escalated?

I'm not seeing a Claim in the resolution center at all. But on My eBay I can see text below my purchase saying that Return has been initiated. View return details. When I click that it says that the seller has until Oct 07th, 2014 to respond, or if there's a problem just ask us to step in and help on Oct 07th, 2014. So I guess I can't do anything until it's escalated?

Hmm... maybe you have to wait until the seller responds?

You should be able to go to Purchases in My eBay; at the top of the page the item will show up and you can view it in the resolution center. Then it will show you all open and closed claims. When you click "view details", you should see the place where your comment is, and then where to upload photos on the side.

The seller responded already to my message and photos. Seller's response:

"I am very sorry that you are not happy with the handbag, the bag is in good condition and the corner wear is normal in any bag I took as best photos as possible and in those photos you can see the wear in the corners the different shade starting in the front of the bag that is common that's why the bag looks destressed That is why I said in the listing to ask any questions needed before placing a bid so problems like this don't arise. The hand bag was sold at a really good price all other spy bags on ebay are a lot more. I am sorry but I truly don't feel that I mislead you with my description for this bag, I will not refund you because the item was properly described, As I said on my description this is a final sale."

I didn't feel the need to ask a question beforehand, because of the provided photos and description of the bag being in good condition with normal wear. I did not see any holes, or that discoloration... So a blackish blemish on brown leather is "distressed"? How about no, that would be the cause for the lighter colors? Am I confused here?

You should quote her on that sentence, send a picture of the dime-sized hole on the bag, and then ask her "Where was this mentioned in the listing?"

I can't even begin to imagine how a Fendi spy can fit into a flat-rate priority box. It is really not worth $300, as I have seen NEW Fendi spys go for around $550.

You should quote her on that sentence, send a picture of the dime-sized hole on the bag, and then ask her "Where was this mentioned in the listing?"

I can't even begin to imagine how a Fendi spy can fit into a flat-rate priority box. It is really not worth $300, as I have seen NEW Fendi spys go for around $550.

Right! As soon as I saw the box my stomach did flip-flops! We're trying to call eBay right now to speak to a rep about being able to attach photos to the Return I started. I sent those photos that I linked in post #1 to the seller with my original message about the condition of this poor bag. So she's aware of the flaws... /sigh
11 minute wait time.