SNAD claim filed – possible buyer scam?

Couture_CL

Bags! Bags! Bags!
Jul 25, 2008
So let me start off by saying that I don’t bias towards either the seller or buyer side on ebay as I do quite often do both (buying as well as selling), I’ve been a user on ebay and PP for over 10+ years with excellent 100% positive feedbacks as a buyer and seller.

But today I am writing a vent here as a seller, I know this type of cases is not new and PP is notorious for siding with buyers no matter how evil they are, I am not looking for a resolution here but just wanted to share my experience and if you guys could just let me get this off my chest, sigh.

I was selling a shearling coat at starting bid at $650 with a BIN option of $750. I have listed the condition as New without Tags, attached 3 pictures of the coat and in my listing clearly stated that if anyone wants more detail pictures of any angles of the coat or need to have more information about the product, I’d be happy to respond in any ways I could. My feedbacks from other buyers purchasing my items reflected my code of conduct that I do always provide the most accurate depiction of my items.

And honest to god even as I am writing here, that this coat was purchased by me couple months ago from a high-end department store intended for myself, I tried it on at home a few times and took the tag off, but it is honestly NOT worn out, ever. The coat is still brand new. In addition to that, this coat is still selling at department stores for over $2000+, while I did get a discount on the coat when I purchased, I still think my listing price is quite fair in the re-seller market, matter of fact; it is probably lower then what most sellers would sell for this coat. Anyway, that’s beside the point I am trying to make here.

So said buyer signed up for an account on 1/17, new user, zero feedback, did not ask me ANY questions or put a bid on the coat, purchased it with BIN option at $750 the same day (1/17) she signed up as a user. I had a suspicion, nagging feeling in my stomach at the time but thought I should give people benefit of the doubt, no assumptions. I mean we all start building our profile from somewhere right? I sent her the coat via UPS with tracking number and it was delivered on 1/21.

WELL, WELL, WELL…next thing I know, she received my coat on 1/21 and immediately contacted me via ebay insisting that I refund at least 60% of her purchase price or else she would return for a full refund because she insisted that my coat is significantly used, like heavily used/worn everyday for months. I asked her to provide details or pictures to prove that and refused to refund the 60%, I mean that is just ridiculous. Of course, she never provide me with any evidence but insist on asking me to refund 60%. I finally told her if that’s how she feels she is welcome to file SNAD dispute case with paypal and let them deal with it.

And she did open the case yesterday, but in addition to that, she left negative feedback on my ebay profile today. The case right now is still being investigated through PP, while I have a sinking feeling that I know PP will ask her to return the coat to me and force me for a refund, but maybe there is still that rare hope that PP will evaluate my long history and excellent feedbacks and not make a quick judgment call to side with the buyer based on just one isolated incident. BUT what worries me more is that, I am afraid this buyer is trying to do a bait-and-switch, sending me back the coat that might not be the same one I sent her.

I know I can't know that for sure and it is outside of my control for now, and I also know I can file an appeal with PP IF that does happen, but from reading everything in this forum of most sellers experiences, I think I can pretty much be prepared that I need to just write this off as bad luck. OH and FYI, called ebay this morning trying to get them to at least remove the negative feedback as the case is still in progress, I don’t even want to repeat the dumba$$ responses they’ve given me for the reasons why they are not allowed to remove negative feedbacks.

I get it, I get it ebay, if everyone go ask them to remove negative feedbacks then what’s the point of the feedback system. I guess I am just so exhausted and disappointed with the way they treat their long time users, and I worked so hard for so many years trying to build a good profile with outstanding feedbacks, and now I get one bad buyer to screw up my 10 years of history.

Anyway, thanks for listening, I feel a little better at least writing this out now.

Last edited:
Sorry for your bad experience, that is why many of us are only ebay buyers and not sellers.

It seems that your mistake was allowing buyers with zero feedback bidding on your jacket. Giving the buyer a chance on a $750 item was not a very good choice IMO, a buyer can "start building" a profile with less costly items.

I wish you good luck with the PP/ebay resolution. Hopefully, you either win the case or get back the jacket in good condition.

Many people would defend your decision to sell to a zero feedback buyer. As is often said, we all started at zero. Ebay does tend to favour buyers on SNAD cases but not always. Plead your case. I'd say you have an even chance of winning.

It is often a seller's fear that the item will not come back in its original condition but, from what I have seen posted here, that rarely happens. And if it is not in the same condition, you would have recourse with ebay.

Don't give up on getting your feedback reversed. Wait until the case is resolved either way and ask again. She may show herself to be a bit of a wingnut in this and if you get the right person at ebay, they will listen to you. Good luck.

many people would defend your decision to sell to a zero feedback buyer. As is often said, we all started at zero. Ebay does tend to favour buyers on snad cases but not always. Plead your case. I'd say you have an even chance of winning.

It is often a seller's fear that the item will not come back in its original condition but, from what i have seen posted here, that rarely happens. And if it is not in the same condition, you would have recourse with ebay.

Don't give up on getting your feedback reversed. Wait until the case is resolved either way and ask again. She may show herself to be a bit of a wingnut in this and if you get the right person at ebay, they will listen to you. Good luck.

ita..

My guess is that the buyer had remorse, the coat didn't fit or she just didn't like it and saw the "no return" policy and figured she had to manufacture a reason for the return. I'm betting you will get your own item back.

The return will cost her a bundle for a coat of that weight and I'm sure she'll be made aware that your "free shipping" isn't free at all!

I would reply to the feedback that the item was indeed NWOT as described and this was a case of buyer's remorse.

Did you notice that your newbie buyer is now a seller herself? She has a listing using just one stolen stock photo. Karma can be a b!tch!

it may have helped your case if you had posted a lot more pics. as for her zero feedback, how can you have blocked her w/BIN? i hope you get your coat back in good condition. what a pain!

Thanks all for listening and the great feedbacks.

I will admit I am still relatively "green" when it comes to selling on ebay, I am not a power seller and I don't sell often enough...possibly 5-10 pieces a month max.

I will also say that looking back I made a few mistakes as well namely that I really should have took more detail pictures, I am kicking myself for that now because I have sold many other designer items of mine in the past and I have always include at least 10-12 pictures and very detail/close up pictures. Sigh, in my haze of rushing to list this item I’ve only took 3 pictures.

Major lesson learned, what more can I say.

My guess is that the buyer had remorse, the coat didn't fit or she just didn't like it and saw the "no return" policy and figured she had to manufacture a reason for the return. I'm betting you will get your own item back.

The return will cost her a bundle for a coat of that weight and I'm sure she'll be made aware that your "free shipping" isn't free at all!

I would reply to the feedback that the item was indeed NWOT as described and this was a case of buyer's remorse.

Did you notice that your newbie buyer is now a seller herself? She has a listing using just one stolen stock photo. Karma can be a b!tch!

Wow how did you find me and the buyer on ebay? But yes I did notice that she is also selling 1 item, and there is only 1 picture which is a stock photo, there is no actual item pictures.

I will admit I am guilty of using some stock photos in my listing as well, because of course the professional shots are always more attractive but I do always make sure that I provide additional pictures of the actual item.

Wow how did you find me and the buyer on ebay? But yes I did notice that she is also selling 1 item, and there is only 1 picture which is a stock photo, there is no actual item pictures.
You gave all the information necessary in your OP. There's only one shearling coat listing that ended on January 17 for a BIN of $750.

Whenever I sell something for more than I would care to lose, I put a tyvek wristband with the item number and my name handwritten on it, through the buttonhole or other spot. I also mention in the listing that the item can only be returned with the tyvek still attached. That way I know if I take a return that I am only getting back the same item.

You gave all the information necessary in your OP. There's only one shearling coat listing that ended on January 17 for a BIN of $750.

Thank you for validating, not that I have anything to hide (I would have added a smilie face here except that I feel more like crying then smiling at the moment).

I also want to provide some opinions as a long time buyer on ebay as well, I have only had 1 SNAD case once of the 10+ years for purchasing a designer bag which turns out to be fake (the listing was authenticated in the forum here before I made the purchase but the actual bag I received was not the same as the one shown in the listing). I actually contacted the seller first to resolve this issue and luckily he agreed to a full refund so there is no need to go through PP/ebay.

But ever since then I decided to not go through that again, meaning that no matter how attractive the price is or how desperately I want the item, it's just a risk not worth taking, for me.

I still continue to purchase from ebay, but only with items that are much less "controversials" and no designer items frankly.

ANYWAY, my point is, isn't it assumed that people purchase on ebay there is a risk associated with it? When I make a committment to purchase from ebay as a buyer, I always know the risk I am going in. If I wanted ganrantees and 100% safety I would have just make the purchase from retail stores.

This buyer actually TOLD ME she purchased the same coat from retail store in the beginning of the season but changed her mind and decided to return.

I mean, really? I think when she made that statement it makes me even more suspicious that she really just wanted to get me to practically give her this coat for free (with 60% refund) or like some of you said, buyer remorse.

Makes me so angry.

I would definitely hold your ground on this one. This person isn't right, especially after seeing their new listing for a "cape".

:shocked:

I have a good feeling that Ebay might side with you considering your stellar feedback and this person demanding 60 percent off.

Who does that???

The coat is stunning by the way.

Darn, you're good. :smile: