Smelly Coach

HandbagAshley

Got my HG!
O.G.
Dec 26, 2006
Ok so I just re-purchased (bought her back 2006 and sold her in 2007, regrettably) a legacy shoulder in whiskey # 10328 for $199 with free shipping. I was so excited to get it in today and before I could even undo the plastic she had it wrapped in I could smell mothballs! The bag wreaks of mothballs! Help! How do I get the smell out?

P.S. I contacted her and she refunded me $30 right away. Good CS.

i have a bag that arrived with bad cigarette smoke reek. i used a combination of the following remedies suggested from tpf:

hang open outside to air out, stuff with newspapers in a cardboard box lined with newspapers and sprinkle baking soda on the newspaper for good measure....febreeze, lightly on the lining....

i flipped the lining inside out and washed it in the sink with woolite. set outside to airdry again.

i think what finally helped was a jar of coffee grounds in the box of newspaper to help absorb odor.

i also stuck an arm and hammer 'fridge fresh' inside the bag.

it took my bag over a month and i swear i still smell smoke, but hopefully mothball comes out easier than smoke.

good luck, i hate mothball smell!

Try Citrus magic....it is a solid air freshner...have bought them at Walmart for around $5. Just place it in the open bag, use something to keep it open and put the air freshner inside. The bag will smell like citrus for a couple days, then won't smell like anything

I will definitely try these ideas! My only problem is I wanted to take her to Philadelphia when I go on Tuesday (for 4 days) to see my brother and his family. Hoping I can get the stench out before then. Oh and it's not just the fabric, the leather has absorbed the mothball smell too! Argh!

Also, the leather edging is coming off on the loops that hold the strap on. Any suggestions on that? Acrylic paint?

melissatrv said:
Try Citrus magic....it is a solid air freshner...have bought them at Walmart for around $5. Just place it in the open bag, use something to keep it open and put the air freshner inside. The bag will smell like citrus for a couple days, then won't smell like anything

I was just at Walmart too. Going back tomorrow to try this!

I put mine in a plastic bag with bath salts in and around the purse and all the pockets, and let it sit for 3 or 4 weeks. All smells gone. The bath salts smell wears off pretty soon but the smoke and musty smells don't come back. I have had this work on several purses.

I have one with moth ball smells too. The listing said it was stored in a cedar chest. It reeks. I can't find the tubs of odor absorber. I tried something I got at Walmart but it made it worse.

HandbagAshley & mystorybook, try strong smelling dryer sheets. I put a few in my purse that was with me at work when a nimrod animal control worker brought a Skunk through our office to show my former boss how cute it was. Yep, Skunk sprayed twice in the office. My poor thick leather Coach purse stunk bad. I had to leave it outside for a day in the sun with dryer sheets in it. Worked like a charm.