Smelly clutch wallet ? =s

riRin84

Nov 23, 2008
Okay so I ordered a black zeus clutch wallet from hayden harnett and when arrived, I was so happy about it cuz it looks better IRL. HOWEVER.. I noticed a wierd smell which at first I thought was coming from outside but found out later it was the clutch wallet!!

Now I know some leathers smell more than others but this is a smell like a SKUNK :cursing: mixed with leather . Does anyone have experience with this? And how do I get rid of the smell?? I've tried letting the wallet sit out for a couple hours but the smell is still there... its terrible! Any advice will do, TIA!

i also have the black zeus clutch wallet... i got it back in december and never really noticed the smell, but then dh just picked it up the other day and said it smelled like skunk. it *does*smell like skunk, but only when you hold it right up to your nose. i don't know if it's the leather, but hopefully it'll fade over time. :oh:

OMG...other people are finally experiencing this sensory "bliss"..

Please see my posts as well...here's the link where I know I posted just a few days ago....

http://forum.purseblog.com/hayden-harnett/ok-how-do-i-get-mildew-smell-out-424715-3.html#post9817885

and I also think I posted on others including the ruby lorca thread...but I can't find them...IMHO please can you all contact HH..they seem to think I am delusional about this..and am the only one who smells/smelled this stink..with me it started with my blueberry sloane

Oh gingey! You are not delusional at all. I happened to purchase the clutch wallet in the PL and when it came... same skunk smell...yuck. I still have to call HH to get an RMA#. Their returns system is a bit irritating, if you have more than one item on your order and are just returning a couple of items and not the whole order, it won't let you. It says each item has to have a reason for return, even the ones you are not returning. So frustrating that every time I have a return, I have to call. A bit inconvenient. Anyway... Yep skunk smell on that clutch wallet too. Back it goes.

Okay i guess it seems to be the leather's problem then. Is this considered a defect? Cuz my jinhee doesnt have this smell. Perhaps its a different kind of leather they use on smaller bags.

Oh gingey! You are not delusional at all. I happened to purchase the clutch wallet in the PL and when it came... same skunk smell...yuck. I still have to call HH to get an RMA#. Their returns system is a bit irritating, if you have more than one item on your order and are just returning a couple of items and not the whole order, it won't let you. It says each item has to have a reason for return, even the ones you are not returning. So frustrating that every time I have a return, I have to call. A bit inconvenient. Anyway... Yep skunk smell on that clutch wallet too. Back it goes.

Oh jen..at least they are letting you return it..I was able to return the Blueberry Sloane and the Cordovan Lorca even though they were final sale..but when I called to tell them that the black leather on the PM bouton d'or mini purse, the GZ clutch wallet, PL Clutch wallet and the Cordovan Wyeth Hobo..all shipped as part of different orders....(not to mention a few other things,.

At this point each of them are sitting inside their very own individual fumigation chamber, made of a pillowcase, for the past few weeks..in which I keep changing boxes of baking soda, cinnamon sticks and fabric softener sheets wrapped in foil..the stench is not quite as pungently overwhelming..but it's still there..I can't get rid of them because I refuse to burden some poor unsuspecting or informed bidder with them..can't gift them either..I need to find friends with severe allergies who have compromised olafactory nerves and have lost their sense of smell..:nuts:

Seriously, I'm hoping to air them out outside in the wide open breezes once the weather perks up here in NYC..but I am royally P.O.'d about it..I'm talking hundreds of dollars worth of bags in all shapes and sizes..different leather finishes too..all bought in December and the beginning of January to give as holiday and bday gifts..NOTHING I bought before then had this stanky, skunky, funky, rotten milky, pukey stench...I still gag when I remember how god-awful it was when I opened the plastic bag each of them came in..

riRen..it's not just the small bags..and it appears it's not an isolated incident.:wtf:

gingeybear - Are any of your trouble ones with patent leather? I have 3 bags with patent (2 black patent, 1 ICP) all purchased Dec/Jan and all are fine. Just the Platinum Lizard clutch wallet is stiiiinky like poo/skunk. Maybe it is a skunk smell. I just know that I gagged when I opened it up.

I'm going to try your home remedy, and hopefully I can get it smelling pretty enough by mother's day because I initially planned to give the wallet to my mother!

5 hours of airing it out sorts of lessens the smell a bit, but its still there. Im trying the baking soda method right now, but im starting to think its not going to ever go away.

gingeybear - it sucks that so many of the bags you got have this problem. Did HH give a reason why when you told them about this?

Curious... do you think a skunk got into their warehouse and they're keeping quiet about it? Sorry to hear about all your "olfactory challenged" handbags. :crybaby:

My bronze Corovado had/has a chemically smell that has dissipated somewhat.

I bought one of these wallets too. After reading this thread I grabbed my wallet and smelled it ... SKUNK. Not on the outside but on the inside and only noticed it when I held it up to my nose and inhaled! So weird. My stuff is in it and I am out of town ... ahhh.
When I get home I need to destink it right away. How strange.

I haven't had skunk or mildew scents at all. My bags have all been scent free except I did notice a bit of an odd smell on my pewter Tamasin. It was kind of a spoiled milk smell. I thought maybe it had to do with the the pewter leather. I let it air outside and it's only noticeable now if I put my nose right up to it. I've never heard of any other brand having smell issues though.

i think some ppl's wallets smell more than others. When i first got mine, I could smell the skunk smell just by standing in the same room as it. I think its the same as gingey's.

But even after airing out the wallet, and putting baking soda on it... the smell has lessen a bit and i cant smell it unless i put my nose close to it, but THE SMELL IS STILL THERE. Its a good thing i didnt pay full price for this wallet, or i woulda been really PO'ed about it. :tdown:

Curious... do you think a skunk got into their warehouse and they're keeping quiet about it? Sorry to hear about all your "olfactory challenged" handbags. :crybaby:

My bronze Corovado had/has a chemically smell that has dissipated somewhat.

lol that was what i was thinking too. i heard tomato juice is supposed to be really good at getting rid of skunk smells but i guess you cant really use that on bags. :Push: