Smelly black Leather Matinee

kimber418

O.G.
Mar 20, 2008
Ok ladies I have one ? and I hope someone has an answer. I bought the black matinee with blue suede on ebay. It came today. I love all of it .....
BUT.....it has an awful smell. It was new w/ tags bought at Nordstroms.
The smell is sort of strange......it is not "leathery" but sort of a combination of leather, stale perfume, cigarettes, etc. I did not use it but brought it in the car for a ride this evening with my son. I was driving and I could smell it in the front seat (t was on the back seat)> What should I do? Any suggestions?:confused1:

Ok ladies I have one ? and I hope someone has an answer. I bought the black matinee with blue suede on ebay. It came today. I love all of it .....
BUT.....it has an awful smell. It was new w/ tags bought at Nordstroms.
The smell is sort of strange......it is not "leathery" but sort of a combination of leather, stale perfume, cigarettes, etc. I did not use it but brought it in the car for a ride this evening with my son. I was driving and I could smell it in the front seat (t was on the back seat)> What should I do? Any suggestions?:confused1:

You might want to check out the suggestions the girls offered me here:

http://forum.purseblog.com/rebecca-...ed-espresso-arrived-and-it-smells-251943.html

However, I must mention the bag does still smell. Not as badly or as strongly, but if it is in the passenger seat of my car, I am very much aware of it. I really love the way the bag looks, and I am hoping eventually I will be able to use it regularly. But the smell gets me every time I use it. I'm sorry I am not more help.

oh no!! i am so sorry!

here are some of my suggestions:

stuff it with dryer sheets for a day or so

let it sit outside overnight (if you have a safe enviornment)

stick a dry tea bag inside of it

i hope these help...good luck!

I had the same tyoe of smell with my Night Nikki...I think it is the way the bag is treated. I aired mine out for a few days and used it several weeks straight...the smell finally went away!!! My kids smelled it the first few days too and it was AWFUL! It will go away though...trust me!

Thank you ladies! I love the bag and I definitely want to keep it. It is my first matinee,
but my 7 RM and I have been freaking out about it. At first my son said "it just smells like leather", the an hour later in the car, he said "mom that purse does have a strange smell". I know it is not just me, although I have been known to be very picky about smells. I smell things before anyone in my family....OK this is going nowhere.

Thanks again for all the suggestions. I am going to get started on the "BOUNCE"
one right now.

when i first got my ocean/gold it had an awful smell too. I believe it was the leather, but anyways, it was soo bad i kept it away from me while i sleep, but now i've been using often and the smell went away! it sleeps saftly next to me now :wlae:

UPDATE!
I put a box of baking soda (the one with the screened in portion) and a couple of BOUNCE
fabric softener sheets inside my black matinee last night. I just checked it and it is working! The smell is going away. I am so relieved. Thank you for your help ladies!

^^I received my black/red matinee the same way. i talked to the seller, and she doesn't smoke! I think its the way the bag was made or something because the smell was ONLY coming from the suede. I did notice there was some GLUE in some places of my wine matinee, so maybe it is the smell of the glue that RM uses. Who knows?

but yes, the dryer sheets did work for me too! There is also something called "bag candy" that you can use to neutralize the smell. Lovinmybags.com sells it.

My tangy smelled for a while. I hung it from a rack in my laundry room with some dryer sheets. It pretty much went away. I still catch a smell of it still every now and then.

RMs glazed leathers have a stronger smell (which I happen to love) from the glazing process. However!! You matinee is not a glazed leather and since you mention cigarettes I would send it back!!
I bought a bag off ebay that reaked of stale cigarette smoke and I couldn't take it.. I sent it back.

I hope people don't confuse smelly bags with the "glazed smell".. they are two VERY different smells IMO.

Bumping this with a smell question... I received a purple metallic MAC today from Avelle that they claim has never been carried but it smells awful. I think it's smoke, though I'm not positive, and seems to be coming from inside the bag (blue & white stripe lining, not that I think that really makes a difference). Anyone else have any issues with purple metallic smelling smokey or otherwise badly? I did a pretty thorough search but if anyone can direct me to other threads that would be great, too. Thank you!

I have a purple metallic Cory and it doesn't smell like anything other than leather. I suspect Avelle is not being entirely truthful that the bag hasn't been "borrowed".

^^that's my thought, too, mockinglee. :sad: it's a bit wrinklier than I expected, also, which only adds to this theory. sad! I love it and got a great deal on it, but the smell will haunt me. back it goes, I guess.