Travel Small trips in SoCal suggestions?

lightdays

O.G.
Feb 18, 2009
Me and my SO originally were planning on going to Las Vegas this weekend as a second part for my 21st birthday, but we are both low on cash. We're both college students that don't have much $$$. He works full-time, but pays a lot of the bills at his home and I'm not working right now. This is kind of a last minute thing, but me and him are looking for a small vacation this weekend just to spend one night out. We've been talking about where to stay, but we're both not sure. I don't want to go to an amusement park because the idea of rollarcoasters frightens me a lot. I get scared going on rollercoasters. I live in the Los Angeles area so anywhere around SoCal is fine. We both like the idea of being in a nature environment with lakes or like the wildlife such as Big Bear, but the drive will be a pain and it might be too expensive. He wanted to take me to Lake Gregory, but it's all booked. Any suggestions are fine. Just something small and romantic is what I'll like. Thanks!

If you don't want to drive to far, how about San DIego? Or even there are some beautiful places to go in OC. Or Santa Barbara is not that far of a drive. If you want to drive alittle more go up to central CA. Like Monterey. You can go to Hurst Castle.

I love northern San Diego County (Carlsbad, La Costa, La Jolla, and Del Mar) or Southern Orange County (San Clemente, Dana Point, Laguna Beach, Newport Beach) It is all along the coast and plenty of things to do.

I really really REALLY wanna visit SoCal :girlsigh:

I especially want to stay at Pelican Hill in Newport Beach :girlsigh: :cloud9: Gots to convince the other half that SoCal is the place to visit :smile: Sorry to be bringing this slightly OT but what's the weather like in SoCal in October, is it ok for lying on a beach or not? TIA!

I especially want to stay at Pelican Hill in Newport Beach :girlsigh: :cloud9: Gots to convince the other half that SoCal is the place to visit :smile: Sorry to be bringing this slightly OT but what's the weather like in SoCal in October, is it ok for lying on a beach or not? TIA!

Usually the weather in October is still pretty warm. I remember I think it was 2 maybe 3 years ago it was about 100 degrees on Halloween. Weather in LA is freezing if it gets below 60.

I agree with Santa Barbara, Solvang / Santa Ynez. What about San Luis Obispo? College town I suppose ...but there are things to do there still and it can be relaxing. Madonna Inn is really interesting there.

Weather in October should still be nice but maybe not real "beach weather". I used to live at the beach in San Diego and after Labor Day the crowds really eased up at the beach (even though it was still hot). September should still be pretty hot but October might be cooling off at the beach. You'd have to check the weather closer to the date. Sorry, that's really kind of a non-answer.

How about a wine tour in Temecula? I've done the Grapeline and really enjoyed it.

This is the off season for Big Bear, so you can get a romantic cabin for a steal. The drive is better now than the winter!

Have you completely abandoned Vegas? Vegas can be done on the cheap! Sign up for email from all the hotels and you'll get special offers. Off strip hotels can be a serious bargain!

San Juan Capistrano is a cute town.