Small Loulou vs lou camera bag vs top handle loulou, or something else!?

nycgirl79

Born & raised Manhattanite, addicted to traveling
O.G.
Jan 28, 2009
nyc
Hi everyone. I hope you’re all healthy and safe.

I could really use some advice regarding the three aforementioned bags...

I currently own the lou camera bag (black w/ silver hardware), and while I love it, it’s a bit too small for my daily essentials (large Longchamp wallet/medium sized make up bag/ iPhone XR/AirPods/apartment keys/additional small makeup bag with hand sanitizer, bandaids, etc.).

I had fallen in love with the look and size of the medium loulou (have admittedly only seen pictures online, but :love:), however, hearing from forum members that it doesn’t work as a crossbody is a dealbreaker for me. So I then compared the measurements of the small loulou to the camera bag, and it really doesn’t seem like there’s much of a difference in size.

Then I came across the top handle loulou, which seemed to be the answer to all my issues with the medium and small loulou - it’s got the longer crossbody strap, and it’s a good deal larger than the camera bag - but evidently it’s been discontinued!?? :annoyed::annoyed:

Does anyone have both the camera bag and the small loulou? Are they totally comparable in size, or does the loulou hold a bunch more? A crossbody option is a necessity for me, and the bag must have a zip closure as well (NYC living). Any suggestions or opinions would be greatly appreciated! Thank you SO much!

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2008
Area Code 905, Canada
Hello nycgirl79,

I have the loulou camera bag which I love and overall love the look of all loulou bags - having said that, I am a tall gal (5'8) with broad shoulders and long torso so finding a crossbody bag is VERY difficult that is long enough for me. The loulou camera bag fits me with no issues and I was able to make more holes in the strap. But the camera bag is small and I only use it for running around and esp now during covid-19 life since I am WFH now. So the small loulou flap does not fit me crossbody the bigger size does a bit better however, just last week I came across the top handle loulou and it checks off all the boxes. It is large enough to wear everyday - larger than the camera bag for sure with many compartments and the crossbody strap is long enough for me to wear crossbody and the strap is detachable so I can use this bag as a crossbody or as hand held or as a shoulder bag - which for me is something very rare to find. So I purchased it however it is indeed a discontinued model as of last season as my YSL SA confirmed this but I actually found this in a department store so I am assuming it was old stock and I still paid full price for it. But because it checked off all my concerns and it is very functional I bought it full price and it is in black with silver tarnished hardware. If you can still find this bag, somewhere, I highly recommend it . if not, perhaps try the larger size loulou flap? The large envelope also fits me crossbody too.

nycgirl79

Born & raised Manhattanite, addicted to traveling
O.G.
Jan 28, 2009
nyc
Hello nycgirl79,

I have the loulou camera bag which I love and overall love the look of all loulou bags - having said that, I am a tall gal (5'8) with broad shoulders and long torso so finding a crossbody bag is VERY difficult that is long enough for me. The loulou camera bag fits me with no issues and I was able to make more holes in the strap. But the camera bag is small and I only use it for running around and esp now during covid-19 life since I am WFH now. So the small loulou flap does not fit me crossbody the bigger size does a bit better however, just last week I came across the top handle loulou and it checks off all the boxes. It is large enough to wear everyday - larger than the camera bag for sure with many compartments and the crossbody strap is long enough for me to wear crossbody and the strap is detachable so I can use this bag as a crossbody or as hand held or as a shoulder bag - which for me is something very rare to find. So I purchased it however it is indeed a discontinued model as of last season as my YSL SA confirmed this but I actually found this in a department store so I am assuming it was old stock and I still paid full price for it. But because it checked off all my concerns and it is very functional I bought it full price and it is in black with silver tarnished hardware. If you can still find this bag, somewhere, I highly recommend it . if not, perhaps try the larger size loulou flap? The large envelope also fits me crossbody too.
Thank you so much for your reply!
It’s great to hear that there are some top
handle loulous floating around! I have been searching the second hand sites with little to no luck, so knowing that it could possibly be found in a dept store is helpful.
I will definitely keep looking!

My concern with the large loulou is that it’s too large...that’s definitely why the medium loulou had initially appealed to me. If only the medium loulou looked good/was comfortable worn as a crossbody bag...!

Thank you so much again for your response! Enjoy your new top handle!!