Small Lou Lou vs Sac de Jour

shesnaps

Apr 18, 2020
Hi everyone :smile:

I've been thinking of getting a Saint Laurent bag as a gift to myself for my birthday. I've been going back and forth between a few other bags but I think I've narrowed it down to these two. I was wondering if there is anyone here who owns both and if there is one you prefer over the other?

Generally, I'm looking for a bag that can be worn both casually & dressy and would ideally fit all my essentials below, more or less. I am also thinking about getting a card holder so the long wallet may be forgone.

I have concerns with both bags where I am a bit worried about the LouLou getting slouchy and losing its shape over time. I have an old Mulberry bag that is completely slouchy and while I still use the bag and not mind the wear, I would prefer a slightly more structured bag. As for the SDJ, my concern is it being a rather open bag which I'm not used to.

I would be happy to receive any feedback! Thank you :biggrin:
a.jpg

Hi! First off Happy Birthday! (Not sure if it is coming up or just passed but either way I think a Saint Laurent purse is a great gift to yourself :biggrin:)

I own other YSL bags but I do not own either the LouLou or the SDJ but I was watching some videos on YouTube recently which I thought might be helpful. The videos are by Chase Amie and I find her content to be quite useful, so I thought I'd link a couple of her videos in case they might be of interest to you.

The first one is her Saint Laurent Loulou Size Comparison | What Fits & Mod Shots! video.
She talks about what fits in the small LouLou as well as her general thoughts on the bag.

The second one is her Luxury Disappointments video, where she mentions her medium LouLou (I know the size is different but might be helpful in giving some general LouLou information, and she still loves the bag so having the word "disappointments" shouldn't discourage you if you are leaning towards the LouLou!).

I initially was interested in a LouLou at one point but like you mentioned I was worried about it getting slouchy so I ended up going with a New Sunset Satchel (the one with the handle on top, it closes with a magnetic snap closure and I find it keeps its shape brilliantly). Not sure if that is of interest to you but I also was worried about the completely open top of the SDJ when being used as a dressy bag so might be something to consider.

Not sure if any of that was at all helpful but hopefully Chase's video is at least a bit useful! Good luck and let us know what you decide :smile:

Hi! First off Happy Birthday! (Not sure if it is coming up or just passed but either way I think a Saint Laurent purse is a great gift to yourself :biggrin:)

I own other YSL bags but I do not own either the LouLou or the SDJ but I was watching some videos on YouTube recently which I thought might be helpful. The videos are by Chase Amie and I find her content to be quite useful, so I thought I'd link a couple of her videos in case they might be of interest to you.

The first one is her Saint Laurent Loulou Size Comparison | What Fits & Mod Shots! video.
She talks about what fits in the small LouLou as well as her general thoughts on the bag.

The second one is her Luxury Disappointments video, where she mentions her medium LouLou (I know the size is different but might be helpful in giving some general LouLou information, and she still loves the bag so having the word "disappointments" shouldn't discourage you if you are leaning towards the LouLou!).

I initially was interested in a LouLou at one point but like you mentioned I was worried about it getting slouchy so I ended up going with a New Sunset Satchel (the one with the handle on top, it closes with a magnetic snap closure and I find it keeps its shape brilliantly). Not sure if that is of interest to you but I also was worried about the completely open top of the SDJ when being used as a dressy bag so might be something to consider.

Not sure if any of that was at all helpful but hopefully Chase's video is at least a bit useful! Good luck and let us know what you decide :smile:

Thank you so much :flowers::flowers:

I will definitely watch her videos and try to get an idea of whether the bag would suit my lifestyle. I also think I should go back in store to check out the bags in person, probably once the lockdown eases!
Thanks so much, can’t wait to join the YSL club!

I have a medium LouLou and a sac de jour. I rarely carry either one since the pandemic. I find my LouLou a little to fancy for every day wear. I think the small may look more casual.
The sac fits my work style and I used it for work. I was never bothered about the opening. It closes up pretty tightly even without a fastener. Try looking at some used bags for sale. That should give you some idea of how it holds up with regular use.

Th
I have a medium LouLou and a sac de jour. I rarely carry either one since the pandemic. I find my LouLou a little to fancy for every day wear. I think the small may look more casual.
The sac fits my work style and I used it for work. I was never bothered about the opening. It closes up pretty tightly even without a fastener. Try looking at some used bags for sale. That should give you some idea of how it holds up with regular use.
Thanks so much for your reply! From what I’ve seen on Vestiaire it does seem like the Lou Lou in Black especially does not wear too well compared to the other colors. I find this quite disheartening since I really love the design. I just keep telling myself that it’s the whole point of owning a bag; to use it and the signs of wear will indicate that.

Th

Thanks so much for your reply! From what I’ve seen on Vestiaire it does seem like the Lou Lou in Black especially does not wear too well compared to the other colors. I find this quite disheartening since I really love the design. I just keep telling myself that it’s the whole point of owning a bag; to use it and the signs of wear will indicate that.
I do agree somewhat. However, these bags are quite expensive so I'm gonna need to get the most bang for my hard earned bucks. I really love Saint Laurent bags because they are so beautiful. Just continue to do your research. There's a wealth of information on these forums. I think you will be fine.

Reactions: shesnaps
I do agree somewhat. However, these bags are quite expensive so I'm gonna need to get the most bang for my hard earned bucks. I really love Saint Laurent bags because they are so beautiful. Just continue to do your research. There's a wealth of information on these forums. I think you will be fine.
Thank you!! Will do just that :smile:

I have both bags as well but medium loulou instead of small. SDJ is more structure but like the other poster said, the top is pretty tight. I love my loulou though, so far it has held its structure for me and I tend to carry a lot. I also dont mind if it does lose some structure either but that's just one. goodluck!

I have the small loulou, and I absolutely love it! I had initially purchased the medium, but was unhappy with the size, shape, and the way it looked/lay when worn crossbody. Admittedly, I haven’t had it for all that long (got it maybe 4 months ago), and with COVID I haven’t used it a ton, but when I do use it, it makes me so happy. I think you might have a little trouble fitting your wallet, but if you do switch to a card case/more compact wallet, you’ll be good.

I also think that as compared to the SDJ, the small Loulou is the better option if you’re looking for a bag that can go from casual to dressy. I’m in no way trying to sh!t on the SDJ - I think it’s a beautiful bag, but to me, it looks more like a bag that you take to work.

Good luck with your decision, and happy birthday!

I have both bags as well but medium loulou instead of small. SDJ is more structure but like the other poster said, the top is pretty tight. I love my loulou though, so far it has held its structure for me and I tend to carry a lot. I also dont mind if it does lose some structure either but that's just one. goodluck!
I’m definitely going for the Loulou now, just trying to decide between the Gold and Silver hardware. I’m waiting for the lockdown to ease and see it in person! Thank you :biggrin:

I have the small loulou, and I absolutely love it! I had initially purchased the medium, but was unhappy with the size, shape, and the way it looked/lay when worn crossbody. Admittedly, I haven’t had it for all that long (got it maybe 4 months ago), and with COVID I haven’t used it a ton, but when I do use it, it makes me so happy. I think you might have a little trouble fitting your wallet, but if you do switch to a card case/more compact wallet, you’ll be good.

I also think that as compared to the SDJ, the small Loulou is the better option if you’re looking for a bag that can go from casual to dressy. I’m in no way trying to sh!t on the SDJ - I think it’s a beautiful bag, but to me, it looks more like a bag that you take to work.

Good luck with your decision, and happy birthday!
Thank you!! I agree with you, the Loulou is absolutely stunning and probably more suitable for my needs. I am also thinking of getting a card holder to go along with it :cool:

Reactions: nycgirl79
Thank you!! I agree with you, the Loulou is absolutely stunning and probably more suitable for my needs. I am also thinking of getting a card holder to go along with it :cool:

Do it!!! I’ve also had my eye on the card holder - YSL really has such gorgeous pieces! :love:
Please come back with an update when you make your purchase(s)!

Reactions: shesnaps
I don't have the Loulou but I enjoy using my SDJ Nano. It has a place in my existing bag wardrobe, since I don't have anything structured like it. I'd argue you can style it down but I think Loulou is the more versatile option, especially if you have a relaxed casual look. I would recommend a YSL cardholder though because I love mine.

Do it!!! I’ve also had my eye on the card holder - YSL really has such gorgeous pieces! :love:
Please come back with an update when you make your purchase(s)!

It’s been a while but we’re finally out of lockdown so I was able to get my bag!! I wasn’t sure of the color combination but when the SA took out the black loulou in the silver hardware I was sold! Even better that they also had a pouch in matching silverware on sale:biggrin::biggrin:
I can’t wait to be out and about with my bag! Thanks so much for your help :P

Attachments

• 6B251A00-D55F-4BC5-BF14-0A3163D4B626.jpeg
    6B251A00-D55F-4BC5-BF14-0A3163D4B626.jpeg
    225.7 KB · Views: 36
  • 56123633-1A28-4082-A4A8-9CA9B9EA5BDC.jpeg
    56123633-1A28-4082-A4A8-9CA9B9EA5BDC.jpeg
    140.9 KB · Views: 36