Small haymarket check tote bag

Bumbles

O.G.
May 27, 2009
Hi Burberry Experts,

Just wanted everyone's opinion on the haymarket bag. Is it a good everyday bag to have? I'm thinking about getting one, and wanted to know how the bag rates. Does it sag? Does the thin straps hurt on the shoulder? Does the PVC fade, even in the dust bag, or does the colour darken with use. Any info and opinion would be greatly appreciated.

Or else, other suggestions would be great too. Am looking for a everyday bag, especially for work and sometimes weekend wear. And would prefer a shoulder bag, as I have too many top handles.

TIA

P.s this is the bag in question. I'm sure a lot of you own one :biggrin:

http://au.burberry.com/store/womens...prod-37411751-small-haymarket-check-tote-bag/

Bumbles said:
Can anyone help?

I can't speak to the longevity because my haymarkets are the older canvas, but I think it's prone to color transfer like the others. I don't believe it changes color over time like the nova check though (I've read that somewhere on here). I do have that particular bag though; in smoked check, and I LOVE it.

Hope that helps!

Hi Burberry Experts,

Just wanted everyone's opinion on the haymarket bag. Is it a good everyday bag to have? I'm thinking about getting one, and wanted to know how the bag rates. Does it sag? Does the thin straps hurt on the shoulder? Does the PVC fade, even in the dust bag, or does the colour darken with use. Any info and opinion would be greatly appreciated.

Or else, other suggestions would be great too. Am looking for a everyday bag, especially for work and sometimes weekend wear. And would prefer a shoulder bag, as I have too many top handles.

TIA

P.s this is the bag in question. I'm sure a lot of you own one :biggrin:

http://au.burberry.com/store/womens...prod-37411751-small-haymarket-check-tote-bag/

It is great for a everyday bag and the canvas is durable. The canvas is strong as well and doesn't sag that much. There might be some color transfers but you don't need to baby the bag and color transfer is rare. The canvas can darken with use, depends on how often you use it but it doesn't turn ugly and black but a darker tan color than the original color. HTH!:smile:

I love the haymarket print! I have it in a satchel bag though. It goes with anything, and I have not had any staining problems. I don't think the haymarket stains as much as the Nova did. My bag does sag a bit, but I kind of like the look of it. The PVC is easy to clean too, and my color hasn't faded at all. Hope this helps!

I have this same bag and it will sag a little and there will always be the possibility of color transfer. I wipe my down with baby wipes to help keep it clean. My only issue with the bag is the lack of structure when it's not closed with the strap that goes across and not buttoned.

:bump:

I'm considering this style as my first burberry bag. I'm looking at the canvas version but also interested in the leather one as well. Being new to burberry I'm not really all that familiar so any help would be appreciated. Is the canvas similar to LV damier azur when it comes to color transfer? Would I be better off going with leather? I'm looking for an all weather bag that holds up well with rain.

I have one in Nova Check and I love it!! I hardly ever see it around (unlike LVs) which I really like. But mine is in medium and find that it only slags ever so slightly, and I do tend to put a lot of stuff inside. I also love that I can wear it two ways. And about the color transfer, I did experience some on my bag but nothing to crazy. :smile:

I bought the small Haymarket check Burberry from Nordstrom with red interior and handles (Nordstrom website lists it as medium size but Burberry tag says small). I think this canvas is much less prone to color transfer than LV Damier Azur and would be a great rainy day bag. It has a coating that is smoother than LV and can easily be wiped. I don't wear dark colors so haven't had a problem.

My honest opinion of this bag is that it isn't worth the $795 price point. Maybe I am just used to LV. I ordered it from Nordstrom online at $795 and right before it shipped found it on sale on the NM website for $532. I called Nordstrom and they priced matched. A few weeks after the purchase I found my HG Burberry brand new - the Nova Nickie large tote - and never use the Haymarket. Go figure! If Nordstrom hadn't price matched I would have returned it.

The detachable pouch really makes the bag. It is a great clutch! The handles fall a little short ... if you are broad shouldered they may not fit.

:bump:

I'm considering this style as my first burberry bag. I'm looking at the canvas version but also interested in the leather one as well. Being new to burberry I'm not really all that familiar so any help would be appreciated. Is the canvas similar to LV damier azur when it comes to color transfer? Would I be better off going with leather? I'm looking for an all weather bag that holds up well with rain.

This is all really great info. Thank you. The burberry forum is no where near as active as the LV forum so I got anxious and just purchased the red leather version online from bloomingdales. I should have it by Tuesday. I didn't go with the neverfull because of the short straps and I was hoping this would be a good comparable bag. I appreciate your honesty, I guess I'll just cross my fingers and hope I like it in person as much as I do in my head.

I bought the small Haymarket check Burberry from Nordstrom with red interior and handles (Nordstrom website lists it as medium size but Burberry tag says small). I think this canvas is much less prone to color transfer than LV Damier Azur and would be a great rainy day bag. It has a coating that is smoother than LV and can easily be wiped. I don't wear dark colors so haven't had a problem.

My honest opinion of this bag is that it isn't worth the $795 price point. Maybe I am just used to LV. I ordered it from Nordstrom online at $795 and right before it shipped found it on sale on the NM website for $532. I called Nordstrom and they priced matched. A few weeks after the purchase I found my HG Burberry brand new - the Nova Nickie large tote - and never use the Haymarket. Go figure! If Nordstrom hadn't price matched I would have returned it.

The detachable pouch really makes the bag. It is a great clutch! The handles fall a little short ... if you are broad shouldered they may not fit.

I agree, I rarely see these bags around! Glad to hear you love your bag, I ordered mine a few nights ago. Thanks for your reply and info!

I have one in Nova Check and I love it!! I hardly ever see it around (unlike LVs) which I really like. But mine is in medium and find that it only slags ever so slightly, and I do tend to put a lot of stuff inside. I also love that I can wear it two ways. And about the color transfer, I did experience some on my bag but nothing to crazy. :smile:

You're like me - anxious for answers and impulsive to purchase!:smile: It's a really pretty bag but I prefer a larger tote.

The straps are shorter than the NF unfortunately and that may be a dealbreaker for you. If you can't make it work then it's returnable.

This is all really great info. Thank you. The burberry forum is no where near as active as the LV forum so I got anxious and just purchased the red leather version online from bloomingdales. I should have it by Tuesday. I didn't go with the neverfull because of the short straps and I was hoping this would be a good comparable bag. I appreciate your honesty, I guess I'll just cross my fingers and hope I like it in person as much as I do in my head.