Small breasts and dresses/swimwear

maryg1

K in a circle
O.G.
Aug 29, 2006
Italian women = big curves = big breasts, right? Wrong!
While I'm Italian when it comes to my bottom, I have very small breasts.
I'm getting ready to go to the beach and as soon as I wore my bikini I felt ridicoulous.
I never felt this way, I'm over 30 y.o., but somehow I feel dresses and tops don't flatter my upper part, unless I'm wearing a bra that enchances my size, which usually aren't the comfiest.
I wore a wrap dress by DVF and when I sit down I have to pay attention because it tends to open, since there is no "material" there to keep it tight, KWIM?
I like lingerie but again I feel ridicoulos, compared to the models!
For beachwear I prefer triangle bra, because padded bras take too much time to dry and I feel hot.
Do you have any brand to reccomend? Or how do you cope with small breasts in general?

:hugs:Aww, you’re not alone. In fact, we have an old thread on this topic: http://forum.purseblog.com/the-ward...-of-itty-bitty-titty-committee-315285-12.html. Maybe mods will want to merge these threads. Anyway, here’s what I want to share.

I’m about a ten years older than you and it took me a long time to embrace my shape. Since my teens, I was self-conscious about my small chest and was envious of girls who were better endowed. I thought they were more attractive, more feminine, etc. and of course, the images shown in the media didn’t help. The only thing that helped me feel a little better is that I’m from an ethnic group whose women are generally more petite and smaller busted. This is generally speaking, of course, because there are exceptions. So I didn’t feel the added pressure that you, being Italian, feel right now. :sad:

Here are some of my guidelines on how I enhance my small bust and still feel comfortable.

Necklines – Whether it’s a top or a dress, I find that a higher neckline looks more flattering on a small bust. In a nutshell, I wear necklines that Audrey Hepburn wore: crew neck, boat neck, square neck, and modest scoop neck. If you google images of Audrey, you rarely see her in top with a plunging neckline. Sure, she wore strapless gowns but she looked far more elegant than a large busted lady would.

I would never wear a v-neck or low scoop because I feel they look best on women who can “fill them up” and show a teeny bit of cleavage. But on me, that low or plunging neckline only flattens me even more and accentuates what I don’t have. ;)

Re: DVF wrap dress. I have a couple but rarely wear them because I too find the skirt a bit finicky (I feel like I need boy shorts underneath to avoid inadvertently flashing the world). But back to my rule about not wearing v-neck -- my trick is to wear a light cami under to de-emphasize the v-neckline.

Swimwear – Padded halter or triangle tops are my best friend. I know you said you don’t like padded but what about tops that have removable pads that speed up drying? I go into a pool every week for my toddler’s swimming lessons and have built up a big collection of padded halter tops, like these ones by Roxy:

http://www.roxy.com/sun-bleached-shorts/rxyusarjbs00061#selectedColor=kvj0&type=2

http://www.roxy.com/sun-kissed-angel-halter-bikini-top/rxyusarjx300027#selectedColor=wbb3&type=2

For years, I wore sporty one-pieces and hated how they flattened my chest visually. But I assumed, how could I possible wear a bikini without ample breasts? But the right bikini with lightly padded cups adds shape and definition to a small bust, creating the illusion of fullness.

As for swimwear bottoms, I wear boy shorts in black and navy. The extra coverage and dark colours help to minimize the size of my butt. Like these by Seafolly:

http://www.seafolly.com/swimwear/bottom-styles/boyleg/goddess-dd-cup-halter-and-roll-top-boyleg.html

I hope this helps. I realize not everyone will agree, but this is what has worked for me personally. Believe me, I hated my small bust for years, but now that I’m older, I’ve learned to embrace my shape and to recognize the advantages of being small – for one, my girls will remain perky! :biggrin:

Thank you HiromiT fro your advice. I will search for pictures of Audrey, and other small breasted women (Charlotte Rampling comes to my mind) to have an idea on what they wear.
And your last sentence is the truth: out girls don't know the force of gravity!

:hugs:Aww, you’re not alone. In fact, we have an old thread on this topic: http://forum.purseblog.com/the-ward...-of-itty-bitty-titty-committee-315285-12.html. Maybe mods will want to merge these threads. Anyway, here’s what I want to share.

I’m about a ten years older than you and it took me a long time to embrace my shape. Since my teens, I was self-conscious about my small chest and was envious of girls who were better endowed. I thought they were more attractive, more feminine, etc. and of course, the images shown in the media didn’t help. The only thing that helped me feel a little better is that I’m from an ethnic group whose women are generally more petite and smaller busted. This is generally speaking, of course, because there are exceptions. So I didn’t feel the added pressure that you, being Italian, feel right now. :sad:

Here are some of my guidelines on how I enhance my small bust and still feel comfortable.

Necklines – Whether it’s a top or a dress, I find that a higher neckline looks more flattering on a small bust. In a nutshell, I wear necklines that Audrey Hepburn wore: crew neck, boat neck, square neck, and modest scoop neck. If you google images of Audrey, you rarely see her in top with a plunging neckline. Sure, she wore strapless gowns but she looked far more elegant than a large busted lady would.

I would never wear a v-neck or low scoop because I feel they look best on women who can “fill them up” and show a teeny bit of cleavage. But on me, that low or plunging neckline only flattens me even more and accentuates what I don’t have. ;)

Re: DVF wrap dress. I have a couple but rarely wear them because I too find the skirt a bit finicky (I feel like I need boy shorts underneath to avoid inadvertently flashing the world). But back to my rule about not wearing v-neck -- my trick is to wear a light cami under to de-emphasize the v-neckline.

Swimwear – Padded halter or triangle tops are my best friend. I know you said you don’t like padded but what about tops that have removable pads that speed up drying? I go into a pool every week for my toddler’s swimming lessons and have built up a big collection of padded halter tops, like these ones by Roxy:

http://www.roxy.com/sun-bleached-shorts/rxyusarjbs00061#selectedColor=kvj0&type=2

http://www.roxy.com/sun-kissed-angel-halter-bikini-top/rxyusarjx300027#selectedColor=wbb3&type=2

For years, I wore sporty one-pieces and hated how they flattened my chest visually. But I assumed, how could I possible wear a bikini without ample breasts? But the right bikini with lightly padded cups adds shape and definition to a small bust, creating the illusion of fullness.

As for swimwear bottoms, I wear boy shorts in black and navy. The extra coverage and dark colours help to minimize the size of my butt. Like these by Seafolly:

http://www.seafolly.com/swimwear/bottom-styles/boyleg/goddess-dd-cup-halter-and-roll-top-boyleg.html

I hope this helps. I realize not everyone will agree, but this is what has worked for me personally. Believe me, I hated my small bust for years, but now that I’m older, I’ve learned to embrace my shape and to recognize the advantages of being small – for one, my girls will remain perky! :biggrin:
That's me ! You're so right, Hiromit
Great advice

Thank you HiromiT fro your advice. I will search for pictures of Audrey, and other small breasted women (Charlotte Rampling comes to my mind) to have an idea on what they wear.
And your last sentence is the truth: out girls don't know the force of gravity!

She's a fabulous role model :heart:
We're in selected company ;)

For me this one works great. Not so exciting :greengrin: but I'm happy with it
I don't like to wear bikinis

2cynnds.jpg

Last edited:
That's me ! You're so right, Hiromit
Great advice

She's a fabulous role model :heart:
We're in selected company ;)

For me this one works great. Not so exciting :greengrin: but I'm happy with it
I don't like to wear bikinis

2cynnds.jpg

Ohh, this is va-va-voom! What brand is it and does it have moulded or padded cups? If I wear a one-piece, I needed cups that add "oomph". :biggrin:

Small breasts are fabulous! Show it off! Everything looks more elegant and you don't need to wear a bra when you don't feel like it.

When I wear things that I worry about flashing, like low cut necklines or wrap dresses, I like to wear a bralette. My favorite ones are from Free People, especially the Galloon Racerback. They come in tons of colors and I find that they enhance an outfit tastefully.