Small bag for new mom

Wynn11

Dec 22, 2015
I am due next month with my first baby and I'm hesitating on which bag to use. I have a regular diaper bag for the baby stuff and wanted a small bag to carry my own essentials (keys, phone, wallet...) If one day I need to carry more stuff I can always stuff it in the diaper bag, so small and comfy is what I need! I was looking for a crossbody, small and lightweight. And I've been eyeing the Gucci Soho Disco for a while now. But just before I got it I started having doubts. Other moms have told me it would be useful to have a shorter strap/handle also so you can hang it in the stroller's hook if needed. Also that it should be small enough to put it in the diaper bag at times also. The Soho Disco only has one long strap and I would be terrified to scratch it inside the diaper bag! :sad:
Any suggestions/tips pleaaaaase?

I have some suggestions for you, but it depends on your budget. You mentioned the soho disco, which is similar in price to the Eva clutch from LV, but the Eva is smaller. That's one that you can check out.

You can always hang the bag from the stroller handle. Just put the shoulder strap across the handle and you're set. You can also always have a folded dustbag hiding in the diaper bag to be used as a cover for the small bag should you want to put it in the diaper bag. A dustbag for a Disco takes up close to no room at all!

As for the bag itself...just carry what you want. You're still a woman and you have your own style. Disco, Celine Trio, LePliage Cuir Mini or Longchamp 2.0 crossbody, PS1 mini, LV Eva or Favorite, the choice is yours and with the way crossbody bags are still all the rave, options are nearly limitless!

Thank you both for your replies!
The one I really like is the Disco but I guess I'm "scared" to make the investment and then find out that I won't use it much because it's not practical/confortable. I guess the best would be to hold off for a while and see how I manage with my current bags and see what would actually work for me... I just really wanted to "treat" myself to the new bag before giving birth, so was wondering if there were other bags out there that I hadn't looked at and that could be easier to use.
For some reason I don't really like LV bags... my other option was a bal mini city or a bal mute XS. But I already own a bal city in red that I have worn a lot until now, especially in spring/summer, and really wanted the small bag to be red also since I found it so easy to wear and loved the pop of color. Obviously 2 red bal bags seems like too much... :smile: Btw I was looking for something under 2K.

I'm so glad that you started this thread as I am also trying to decide on a small, lightweight crossbody to use when I run around with my two girls (who are 3 and 1). I just want to be able to keep my phone, small wallet, and keys on me but be able to just throw it in my diaper bag too. I was thinking about maybe getting the LV favorite pm-- it's the perfect size but I'm a little hesitant because of the closure.

I look forward to seeing what you decide on...

When my son was before 3 yo, I used mostly my kate spade and rebecca minkoff crossbody bags when I'm out with him. These bags are not too expensive and surprisingly hard wearing, which makes them worry free. (being a new mom, you already have tons of worries, so bags shouldn't be adding on to that.)
When my boy becomes more independent, I start using my more costly bags.
You may want to get a less expensive crossbody bag to serve it's purpose at this moment. You can still get a soho disco and use it when you are not bringing baby out.

Reactions: Wynn11
I was thinking exactly that lately - that it might make sense to hold off for a bit and get a less expensive purse while I figure out what I need. I do want to get a spring/summer purse since the only small crossbody bag I own that I can also hang on the stroller is black and would like a lighter/brighter color also. Is there a small crossbody with a handle that you can recommend from a more affordable brand?

I was thinking exactly that lately - that it might make sense to hold off for a bit and get a less expensive purse while I figure out what I need. I do want to get a spring/summer purse since the only small crossbody bag I own that I can also hang on the stroller is black and would like a lighter/brighter color also. Is there a small crossbody with a handle that you can recommend from a more affordable brand?

I have the below rebecca minkoff micro regan satchel in black pebbled leather and it's very lightweight. They have other colors on their website but I believe it's of different leather finish. As I browsed through their website, I saw a few crossbody bags (with handles) that may fit your criteria.

Screenshot_20170324-140514.png

Reactions: Wynn11
oh! I forgot to recommend my mini pashli...this bag is super durable and can fit quite a number of things...plus it's super chic! Go to the 3.1 phillip lim website and you'll find lots of beautiful colors.

20161122_145041_resized_1.jpg

I cannot think of a bag that is a better fit for a new mom than a Soho Disco. Wish it had been available when I had babies. You want a bag that is crossbody, small but roomy, easy to access, carefree and light (many bags with a handheld handle wouldn't fit this last criteria sp if you're not considering coated canvas). If on top of that you like the look of it, I see no reason to hesitate.

Thanks so much for the recommendations gswpurse! I really like the regan - will definitely go check it out next week!! I like the Phillip Lim as well but I have a Celine nano that is similar in style and I was looking for something a bit more compact. The Regan looks perfect! I love the tan color they have in their website for spring/summer and it's different enough from the Disco so that I can get it in red in a few months time :smile:

Doni - the reason why I'm hesitating with the Disco is that it can "only" be worn crossbody/on the shoulder and I believe it could be helpful to have a shorter handle as well to hang it on the stroller hook? I tried hanging the mini-mac and it didn't work. This seemed to be a big deal for some other moms I talked to - not sure how it will be for me since it's my first :smile: Maybe I'm worrying about something that is really not that big a deal?

Reactions: gswpurse
So I went check out bags today. From the more affordable ones I saw, the one I liked best was the RM Micro Regan, but I didn't like the leather in the lighter colors :sad:

After seeing the different options "in person" and trying them on, I'm completely torn between these two:

Balenciaga City Mini in beige latte:
P00238660.jpg

Gucci Soho Disco in red:
308364_A7M0G_6523_001_080_0035_Light-Soho-leather-disco-bag.jpg

In favor of the City Mini: I own a red city in the regular size and I love the style. It's also quite casual. I won't be going back to work until January so I expect to wear very casual outfits through spring/summer/fall, and I believe that this bag would complement my outfits very nicely. I wouldn't need to worry too much about aging since these bags look even better with time, though not sure how the light color will turn out in terms of color transfer. Also more versatile (cross body/shoulder/handle), which is what I was initially looking for. It's the only smaller bag I would own in this color so a nice addition to my collection even if I already own a city.

In favor of the Soho Disco: very different to the other bags I own - would also be my first Gucci. I have been eyeing it for a while now - I love the style of the bag. Less casual than the city but still a bag that can be used with casual outfits, plus I could also dress it up if needed. More lightweight than the city and felt really confortable to wear, though it won't have the handle option. Also less expensive. The leather seems really nice and according to the reviews would be more durable, even though for some reason I would be more afraid of "spoiling" it.

Please help me decide!!!!

So I went check out bags today. From the more affordable ones I saw, the one I liked best was the RM Micro Regan, but I didn't like the leather in the lighter colors :sad:

After seeing the different options "in person" and trying them on, I'm completely torn between these two:

Balenciaga City Mini in beige latte:
P00238660.jpg

Gucci Soho Disco in red:
308364_A7M0G_6523_001_080_0035_Light-Soho-leather-disco-bag.jpg

In favor of the City Mini: I own a red city in the regular size and I love the style. It's also quite casual. I won't be going back to work until January so I expect to wear very casual outfits through spring/summer/fall, and I believe that this bag would complement my outfits very nicely. I wouldn't need to worry too much about aging since these bags look even better with time, though not sure how the light color will turn out in terms of color transfer. Also more versatile (cross body/shoulder/handle), which is what I was initially looking for. It's the only smaller bag I would own in this color so a nice addition to my collection even if I already own a city.

In favor of the Soho Disco: very different to the other bags I own - would also be my first Gucci. I have been eyeing it for a while now - I love the style of the bag. Less casual than the city but still a bag that can be used with casual outfits, plus I could also dress it up if needed. More lightweight than the city and felt really confortable to wear, though it won't have the handle option. Also less expensive. The leather seems really nice and according to the reviews would be more durable, even though for some reason I would be more afraid of "spoiling" it.

Please help me decide!!!!
you seem stuck on the disco and have since the thread started. that's not bad!, it's just that unless/until you buy what your heart really wants you won't be happy. just get the disco and deal with any issues once you own it. just in terms of value, the bal bags are probably more bang for your buck, but they drop in value like crazy, so if you make a mistake it'll be a costly one.. less so with the disco. if you end up going with bal then stay away from the lighter shades, they will get color transfer if you're not cautious, any light color from any brand will.. that's just how it goes...

From my experience, carrying a diaper bag AND another bag is difficult and redundant. Get a nice diaper bag and come to terms with the fact that that is your daily bag for the next two years. Just my two cents after having been there.

Reactions: Kellybuzzbuzz