"slouch" characteristics--ball vs veneta

I have only the Veneta and I while I too prefer pockets to organize things, I have found that the Veneta is not the abyss that some hobos tend to be. It's pretty easy to get to my things.

Thanks for the info. I guess the inside doesn't become an abyss due to its slim profile?

An aside: I am so sorry about the theft of your bag and contents. (I read about it in your thread.) I know from experience that a theft like that feels like such a violation; I hope you are doing well.

Thanks so much--this is very helpful!

I tend to wear and prefer more "casual" bags (my favorites at the moment are a Bal city and a BV cervo loop hobo), but I do like a bit of structure. And I adore an outside pocket for my phone and sunglasses. I'm a little leery about the wear factor that you mention, as I am not always as fastidious about my bags as I probably should be--never on the floor or anything like that, but I do carry and use them!

Was your handle soft and flexible from the get go, or did it take some wearing to get it that way?

I have both the large Veneta and original Ball, and love them both. I think the Veneta is slouchier, but the Ball isn't what I'd describe as "stiff." For me, the Veneta will *wrap* around the body and therefore its profile from the side can appear a bit less wide than it is lying flat. The Ball's outside pockets, seams, etc. keep it from wrapping around your body. But it doesn't "stick out" to my eye, and on my Ball the handle is super soft and flexible, so the bag's volume swings easily toward your back, if you know what I mean.

I think the Ball is really user-friendly; the outside pockets are awesome. The Ball does seem a teeny bit more casual than the Veneta, to me, but that may be a function of the colors I have. Two additional considerations: because of its structure, the piping on the Ball can get worn, so if you really care about keeping things looking "new" that may be a factor. And I find the Veneta has more capacity. Good luck with your decision! :smile:

azjavagirl;21704921I am so sorry about the theft of your bag and contents. (I read about it in your thread.) I know from experience that a theft like that feels like such a violation; I hope you are doing well.[/QUOTE said:
The veneta is a slimmer profile which I do think helps.

And thanks for the kind words. Things are much better. I'm plotting replacement purchases.. waka waka waka.

To be honest, the reason I got rid of my original Ball was that I could not tell which pocket I had something in, as they all look the same. I got tired, real quick, of having only a 25% chance of finding what I was looking for the first time. The bag looks the same, front to back, back to front. Which pocket is it in? I don't like playing games with my bag. :roflmfao:
india, you had me in stitches over this one!! :roflmfao: I tried the ball on in the store and really liked the streamlined look but I felt the outside pockets were for little things and can relate 100% to this. I also didn't find the bag as roomy as a veneta. I learned from the SA that I really don't carry a lot in my bag, but what I do carry takes up room. If I were to choose between the two, I think you would be happiest with the large or maxi veneta. They are classic and roomy. I ended up with the medium which does the trick for me in the evening or when I cut out one or two eye glass cases during the day. Not many can rock the maxi but if you can, it is a very fashion forward bag!! :tup:

Thanks so much--this is very helpful!

I tend to wear and prefer more "casual" bags (my favorites at the moment are a Bal city and a BV cervo loop hobo), but I do like a bit of structure. And I adore an outside pocket for my phone and sunglasses. I'm a little leery about the wear factor that you mention, as I am not always as fastidious about my bags as I probably should be--never on the floor or anything like that, but I do carry and use them!

Was your handle soft and flexible from the get go, or did it take some wearing to get it that way?

The handle on the original Ball was softer than the Veneta from the start, maybe due to the unwoven nappa handle, and it's much much softer and more flexible now. The Veneta's handle gets some reinforcement from the braid but it too is very comfortable. The wear factor is real, but to me, the slight wear doesn't detract from the beauty of the intrecciato and the ingenious design.

Both bags are wonderful, just different. If I had to choose between the two I'd have a hard time!

you'll see Balls on eBay and some of the good selling sites - I found a pretty
Noce one. The handle on mine is flat (stitched flat) so it is lower profile than
the Veneta handle. (There's that "Ball comparison" in the Reference Library.)
Re the Venetas, I think the large is enough for most -- the maxi is only for
really really "big bag" fans.

The original ball bag was my first BV and still one of my favorites.

Some observations:

1. Easy access to keys, cell phone, etc. with the four side pockets. I love those pockets!
2. Ball bag softens up (relaxes) but does not dissolve in a leather puddle.
3. Since the bag is symmetrical, I recently bought a lanyard to distinguish between the "front" and "back" of the bag. This helps with finding my stuff (comment #1). Previously I used a pretty scarf tied to one end of the strap.
4. It's true the color on the piping does fade but it isn't noticeable unless you look very closely.
5. The handle is extremely comfortable since the intrecciato weave doesn't go across the top of the strap (where it would rest on your shoulders).

I think if you opt for a ball bag, you'll be very happy with your purchase.

Good luck with your decision.