Sloppy Chanel Repairs

Clopin

O.G.
Aug 26, 2006
So I'm usually not a big complainer BUT I'm SO dissatisfied with Chanel repairs dept right now.

About 6 weeks ago, I sent one of my smaller flaps to be cleaned and have one of the rivets reinforced, which was starting to lift. Finally picked up the bag two days ago from Chanel on 57th NYC.....

The repairs lady unwraps the bag for me to examine and as I begin looking at the bag I begin noticing GLUE all over the bag. :wtf: There were small glue spots around the rivets AND all over one of the rivets. There was even glue on the BOTTOM of the bag. :shocked:

I showed it to the lady and she goes, "I don't see it. It looks fine to me" as I'm pointing to the OBVIOUS glue all over the rivet. I went through several rounds with her saying it was "fine" and she could see "no difference" in the two rivets. Finally after several minutes of me showing it to her from MANY angles, she half conceded that it didn't look right

Seems they sent the bag to Philadelphia I think, and it was repaired by the "Leather Surgeons".

Luckily most the glue peeled off rather easily and didn't harm the bag, BUT come on! The saleslady said she wouldn't charge me for the repairs and to bring it back if there was a problem, but hopefully there won't be.

Anyways, just wanted to vent!! I mean, if we can't take our bags to Chanel to be properly repaired, where can we take them?!

ceci

O.G.
Jul 9, 2007
USA
sorry to hear that...maybe request to send your bag to Paris for reparation instead of local. That will take longer time for sure (6 months or more), but at least you know they will do it right.

Michele

O.G.
Mar 22, 2006
Maryland
The same thing happened to me when they changed my rivet on my cloudy bundle, but did not notice the glue until I got home. That is a shame.

jmen

O.G.
Jan 15, 2007
Wishing don't make it so. Unfortunately, one cannot simply say I want my purse repaired in France. To the original poster, please inform Amy Miller via email at corporate headquarters in NY regarding your experience. L.S., the repair facility handles all of C's repairs in this geographic region. Let me say, my red patent m.a. purse failed to get fixed for 7 months. There was a corporate decision to send the purse to France for repair and that just occurred in the past weeks. I began the repair procedure in early January and the purse was not being repaired here. Finally, I caved and took a refund, but prior to that, I contacted Ms. Miller with the issue. So now it was on corporate's radar screen, if nothing else. I learned a few weeks ago the decision was authorized to return the purse to France.

Am glad the glue was removable, but I urge you to send an email. If corporate doesn't know there is a problem, then such things will continue for the next customer and the next and so on. These things cause clients to refrain from purchasing Chanel. When all is said and done, neither the company nor the client wants to sour a relationship.

sbelle

O.G.
Mar 14, 2009
These things cause clients to refrain from purchasing Chanel. When all is said and done, neither the company nor the client wants to sour a relationship.
I have to say if that had happened to me I probably wouldn't buy another Chanel. I have had such quality problems and have had a number of virtually brand new bags that had to be sent in for repair. It would be the straw that broke the camel's back if it came back from repair like that.

I have really reduced my Chanel buys because of my quality issues and have turned to other lines.

Clopin

O.G.
Aug 26, 2006
Thanks everyone! I'm much calmer now, but was just kinda disgusted when I got the bag back, you know? I had no idea that actual Chanel employees DON'T do the work on the bags in the US.

The other thing that reeeeeally bothers me (while I"m ranting lol) is the overall quality lately. For example, the rivets on the flaps bags are made so cheap and flimsy now! If you look back at older flaps, the rivets were much bigger and sturdier. Now they are a thin ring of metal that very easily lifts and pulls out. Is it just me or aren't there others on the forum that have had their rivets on bags pull out?

Clopin

O.G.
Aug 26, 2006
Wishing don't make it so. Unfortunately, one cannot simply say I want my purse repaired in France. To the original poster, please inform Amy Miller via email at corporate headquarters in NY regarding your experience. L.S., the repair facility handles all of C's repairs in this geographic region. Let me say, my red patent m.a. purse failed to get fixed for 7 months. There was a corporate decision to send the purse to France for repair and that just occurred in the past weeks. I began the repair procedure in early January and the purse was not being repaired here. Finally, I caved and took a refund, but prior to that, I contacted Ms. Miller with the issue. So now it was on corporate's radar screen, if nothing else. I learned a few weeks ago the decision was authorized to return the purse to France.

Am glad the glue was removable, but I urge you to send an email. If corporate doesn't know there is a problem, then such things will continue for the next customer and the next and so on. These things cause clients to refrain from purchasing Chanel. When all is said and done, neither the company nor the client wants to sour a relationship.
Sorry to hear about your troubles!! That is ridiculous. You would think that a high end designer company like Chanel would be one of those places where the "customer is always right".

Sending an email is a great idea and I will definitely do that! You are right that they SHOULD know how bags are being handled by their repairs outsourcing.

May 15, 2008
USA
I'm glad the glue came off! It's kind of sketch that she kept saying she couldn't "see" it.

When I got my first white timeless clutch, it had glue spots on it too!!

SWlife

For the love of beautiful things
O.G.
Oct 18, 2006
New Mexico
Sounds like a step is missing in Chanel manufacture and repair. That step is "Quality Control".
So sorry for the trouble everyone is having.