Sloane: pros and cons?

Oct 30, 2006
I wanted something different than a large veneta and I am not in love with the cabat yet (although if a great color came out again like ottone I might be convinced). But I am wondering about the sloane. I don't think I have seen one in person. Comparisons both positive and negative with the veneta?

The Sloane is actually my favorite BV bag. I like the magnetic closures and how it drapes. I have two, Ottone and Curry. Would definitely get another. I have two large Venetas, Nero and Ebano and as much as I love them, I am always looking at the Sloane.

The Sloane is actually my favorite BV bag. I like the magnetic closures and how it drapes. I have two, Ottone and Curry. Would definitely get another. I have two large Venetas, Nero and Ebano and as much as I love them, I am always looking at the Sloane.

Is it much heavier than the large Veneta? And the proportions, is it about the same?

I don't own a sloane but I have had plenty of feed back about them
most people are comparing the sloane and the new pryamid
but things I have heard about the sloane
1. they do get wonderfully slouchy
2. they are boxy at the bottom and stick out under your arm
3. they are hard to get things in and out of
4. when they made of nappa umbria people seemed to like them more
5. they are nothing like the veneta
6. they come in great seasonal colors
7. I do believe they come with a mirror

I think you need to try one on and see if you like it
BV has great consignment program where you get to try it in your own home
me I would want to rent one from bag borrow or steal if they have them and see if I liked it first before making the investment

The things I love about the Sloane...
Puddles beautifully when set down, absence of hardware, wide handle rest nicely on the shoulder, holds a lot, drapes beautifully...

Sloane is my absolute favorite BV bag. I love how three dimensional it is making the weaving really pop. Also the no seam and flap over design is lovely and it slouches so effortlessly.
It has a supremely luxurious and artisan feel!
A must for any collection!

When I first tried on a sloane at the BV boutique, I thought it was very boxy and stiff and of course it was the leather was not broken in. But then I considered and purchased a pre-loved sloane in great condition. It has such a lovely drape once the leather softens. The foldover design is great for me and the wide handle holds very firmly to your shoulder. I would say I love the veneta and sloane equally.

I find my Sloane to be a very functional bag and I really enjoy carrying it. Proportionally it wears a bit bigger than the veneta because the bottom does have more structure to it, but it isn't so big that I feel like I'm constantly bumping into things with it. I really like the overlapping magnetic top flaps - more secure than an open top tote, but easier to get in to than a zippered veneta. I know some people say they are hard to get in and out of, but I haven't found that to be the case for me.

All of that said, I have a newer one made from light calf and wonder if I might love it even more if it were nappa. The light calf seems to help from the weight perspective and appears to be just a bit more durable on the corners (which do show wear on the Sloane), but it just doesn't have that luscious, buttery feeling that the nappa bags do. And while it does drape and slouch, it just isn't the same as the drape and slouch of nappa. If you are open to purchasing pre-loved, I would definitely recommend looking for a nappa Sloane from a few seasons back vs the new light calf version from the last two years or so.

I find my Sloane to be a very functional bag and I really enjoy carrying it. Proportionally it wears a bit bigger than the veneta because the bottom does have more structure to it, but it isn't so big that I feel like I'm constantly bumping into things with it. I really like the overlapping magnetic top flaps - more secure than an open top tote, but easier to get in to than a zippered veneta. I know some people say they are hard to get in and out of, but I haven't found that to be the case for me.

All of that said, I have a newer one made from light calf and wonder if I might love it even more if it were nappa. The light calf seems to help from the weight perspective and appears to be just a bit more durable on the corners (which do show wear on the Sloane), but it just doesn't have that luscious, buttery feeling that the nappa bags do. And while it does drape and slouch, it just isn't the same as the drape and slouch of nappa. If you are open to purchasing pre-loved, I would definitely recommend looking for a nappa Sloane from a few seasons back vs the new light calf version from the last two years or so.

Hmm...interesting. Thanks. I didn't realize that they had changed the leather.

I love my sloane. However, most of my BV's are the medium veneta, which is smaller. I do tend to bump more things with my sloane on my shoulder. Since my medium venetas aren't all that easy to get into, I don't notice any problem with the sloane by comparison. My goal is to carry fewer things, so limited space works for me.

I had an ottone sloane and it was too heavy and wide for me honestly. It kept falling off my shoulder. I think the veneta and the pyramid are much easier bag to carry.

I had owned 2 Sloane in Calf Skin and found it to be too stiff for my liking, although it is supposed to be less prone to wear on the corners. So I sold them and got a few replacemts in the Nappa Umbria leather from the resale market. I just liked them so much, the softer leather drapes so well and the color variation on the Nappa Umbria is also just so gorgeous!!

I noticed that the more recent sloanes in the light calf are lighter and closer in feel to the nappa Umbria ones.

As nice as nappa Umbria was, the leather just got worn too quickly for my personal liking. The calf may not be as luxurious and buttery but it lasts forever! Regardless the sloane is a glorious bag!