Sloane: pros and cons?

Is it much heavier than the large Veneta? And the proportions, is it about the same?

I used to own a Sloane in nappa capri (nappa, but rolled and perhaps tumbled, to achieve a glowing sheen and silky drape). I currently own a medium Veneta and a large Veneta, both in nappa.

To the best of my recollection:

-The Sloane was noticeably heavier in the hand and in actual weight, but when placed on the shoulder, it didn't feel too burdensome. The wide, pliable shoulder strap distributed the weight nicely. But while I'd describe the Veneta as being a lightweight bag, I wouldn't characterize the Sloane that way.

-As for proportions, as you know, the Sloane is boxy while the Veneta is slim. On the shoulder, the Sloane made me feel like I had sumptuous draping leather under my arm--my arm rested on it.

-Sloane is pillowy, while the Veneta is more streamlined and geometric on the bottom corners.

-The Sloane has an ample armhole/shoulder drop, but the top of the "box" is still palpable. The Veneta, both medium and large, feel like I had nothing under my arm, because I usually pushed it back behind me. I know some have trouble with the armhole on the medium Veneta, but for me, if I push down the zippers on both bags to form the armholes, both sizes have a lot of shoulder drop room. My arm feels unencumbered.

-More on the proportions: the Sloane sat up higher on the body, similar to the medium Veneta. The large Veneta, with its longer strap, sits lower.

-Capacity: I think the Sloane and large Veneta can hold similar amounts of stuff, but I've never directly compared the two.

I'm 5'2" and slender (between 100-105lbs, currently), so your impressions may vary. For me, it came down to this:

-medium Veneta, nero: able to be dressy enough to wear with business attire, can go day to night, doesn't look like a huge sack

-large Veneta, ebano: comfortable, casual bag that can carry more than the medium Veneta (can be dressier on taller women)

-Sloane, nero: dressier than large Veneta, but more casual than the medium Veneta; heavier than both Venetas, lacked a top zipper

I ended up letting go of the Sloane because when I wanted to carry a nero bag, I almost always chose the medium Veneta over it. The streamlined, geometic shape of the Veneta fits better with my wardrobe, too. But the Sloane is a great choice, too.

Posted this in the style reference thread, but thought it might be relevant here as well. Carried my F/W12 Maroon Sloane in light calf yesterday. I do love this bag, especially when paired with this shawl.
IMG_0830.jpg

I used to own a Sloane in nappa capri (nappa, but rolled and perhaps tumbled, to achieve a glowing sheen and silky drape). I currently own a medium Veneta and a large Veneta, both in nappa.

-The Sloane was noticeably heavier in the hand and in actual weight, but when placed on the shoulder, it didn't feel too burdensome. The wide, pliable shoulder strap distributed the weight nicely. But while I'd describe the Veneta as being a lightweight bag, I wouldn't characterize the Sloane that way.

-As for proportions, as you know, the Sloane is boxy while the Veneta is slim. On the shoulder, the Sloane made me feel like I had sumptuous draping leather under my arm--my arm rested on it.

-Sloane is pillowy, while the Veneta is more streamlined and geometric on the bottom corners.

-The Sloane has an ample armhole/shoulder drop, but the top of the "box" is still palpable. The Veneta, both medium and large, feel like I had nothing under my arm, because I usually pushed it back behind me. I know some have trouble with the armhole on the medium Veneta, but for me, if I push down the zippers on both bags to form the armholes, both sizes have a lot of shoulder drop room. My arm feels unencumbered.

-More on the proportions: the Sloane sat up higher on the body, similar to the medium Veneta. The large Veneta, with its longer strap, sits lower.

-Capacity: I think the Sloane and large Veneta can hold similar amounts of stuff, but I've never directly compared the two.

I'm 5'2" and slender (between 100-105lbs, currently), so your impressions may vary. For me, it came down to this:

-medium Veneta, nero: able to be dressy enough to wear with business attire, can go day to night, doesn't look like a huge sack

-large Veneta, ebano: comfortable, casual bag that can carry more than the medium Veneta (can be dressier on taller women)

-Sloane, nero: dressier than large Veneta, but more casual than the medium Veneta; heavier than both Venetas, lacked a top zipper

I ended up letting go of the Sloane because when I wanted to carry a nero bag, I almost always chose the medium Veneta over it. The streamlined, geometic shape of the Veneta fits better with my wardrobe, too. But the Sloane is a great choice, too.

blueiris- i love to read your analysis- always well thought out and organized. thank you-

Posted this in the style reference thread, but thought it might be relevant here as well. Carried my F/W12 Maroon Sloane in light calf yesterday. I do love this bag, especially when paired with this shawl.
View attachment 2400665

TahoeBlue- beautiful

Thanks. I really just need to try one on. I looked at NM for them yesterday and didn't see on. I will be in NYC soon so I will check them out.

Hi ladies, i am in the market for the BV sloane and have an opportunity to buy one pre-loved. My questions are:

Is it too precious to be a daily beater (no rain)?
Does the leather crack like Balenciagas?
I own a Gucci guccissima wallet that is 8 yrs old. Still no problems, i hope the leather is similar quality.
Does the strap slide off easily? I have narrow shoulders and my daily beater is an LV Popincourt Haut.
Does it fit much for a mom with a toddler?

Thanks!

I laughed out loud when I saw this post. If I hated a sloane I probably wouldn't buy it!
You might want to do a search for Sloane in this subforum. I want to say someone commented about the strap squeaking but I'm not sure.
I'm very curious about this bag and will be trying it on when I'm next at a BV boutique.

Gucci and Balenciaga and BV are all owned by Gucci group

the negatives I have heard about the sloane are:
hard to get in and out
too boxy at the bottom
shoulder strap drop is not long enough

If you bought a pre loved Sloane and hate it
sell it and buy something you love

It will stretch but 8" is apparently the drop
It won't stretch that much
you can still wear a winter coat with it
If you have such apprehensions buy something else

I wouldn't go by what others hate about it
because one person may hate something about it and another person may love that very quality
Buiying a bag is all very personal
if you live near a BV or NM go in and try on different bags
then you can decide for yourself what you like and don't like
just because you are trying on a bag in BV store or NM doesn't mean you are obligated to buy it
you can then find the one you like and look for one on sale or pre loved

Is the drop too short? 8" seems short.