Sloane Owners! A Question!

Anhzie

O.G.
Aug 22, 2008
Since there have been many of us getting a sloane lately, I was wondering if some members with older sloanes (such as Mundo and jburgh whose first BVs were sloanes) could tell us how they have been taking care of them and how they have been holding up.
How often do you use them and do you treat the nappa umbria with anything special? Since nappa umbria is wax treated, should the bag still be treated with any special protectants? The BV SA in Chicago recommended Meltonian if I really wanted to touch up, but he really advises against using any protectant on the sloane.

I feel a little silly for creating so many threads recently but I love BV and I love talking about it! :o)

Since there have been many of us getting a sloane lately, I was wondering if some members with older sloanes (such as Mundo and jburgh whose first BVs were sloanes) could tell us how they have been taking care of them and how they have been holding up.
How often do you use them and do you treat the nappa umbria with anything special? Since nappa umbria is wax treated, should the bag still be treated with any special protectants? The BV SA in Chicago recommended Meltonian if I really wanted to touch up, but he really advises against using any protectant on the sloane.

I feel a little silly for creating so many threads recently but I love BV and I love talking about it! :o)

I haven't put anything on mine, it's about a year and a half old now, I use it a ton and don't baby it and it's still in great shape

I've never treated my MORO sloane with anything, nor have I babied it..which usually happens to all the bags I adore.. It seems to require very little extra care..looks the same as the day I got her..

I've tried out the bag yesterday but I find that the drop seemed very little and it doesn't fit very comfortably under the arm. And the bag seemed huge. Is it because it's new and doesn't have any weight in the bag?

BTW I'm 5' 8" and definitely not small frame. I thought the bag will look good on me but was disappointed that the bag felt quite 'cramp' under my arm. I tried the New Pyramid and got the same feeling too. :crybaby:

I've tried out the bag yesterday but I find that the drop seemed very little and it doesn't fit very comfortably under the arm. And the bag seemed huge. Is it because it's new and doesn't have any weight in the bag?

BTW I'm 5' 8" and definitely not small frame. I thought the bag will look good on me but was disappointed that the bag felt quite 'cramp' under my arm. I tried the New Pyramid and got the same feeling too. :crybaby:

I felt the same way about my sloanes when I first got them, but once the leather softens up and drapes more they get more comfortable. If you wrap a heavy object and put it in your sloane and hang it from the shoulder strap on a hook or something for a couple of days it definately helps the breaking in process.

I felt the same way about my sloanes when I first got them, but once the leather softens up and drapes more they get more comfortable. If you wrap a heavy object and put it in your sloane and hang it from the shoulder strap on a hook or something for a couple of days it definately helps the breaking in process.

Syma - Glad you mentioned that. The same issue exists with the Jimmy Choo Mahala. I would put a couple of cans of soup inside for a few days and voila! slouch.

^^Excellent idea Syma. I'll keep that in mind.

I wonder why BV SA advises against using any protectant on the sloane ? :confused1:Perhaps because sloane leather is treated&waxed ?? I am such a careless person [always get stains onto clothes!:sad:] I still decided to spray Apple Guard protectant [I remember reading some thread talking about stains, and one member mentioned she always sprayed protectant. ] So far so good [cross my fingers...] I also spray my wallet. Well, I am glad to hear that BV bags hold&age well without special baby care.

Oh.. really? Is that why the bag feels 'hard' when I carry it in store? It sure refuel my desire to have a sloane! After trying out in the boutique on Sat I was actually very sad that it doesn't slouch nicely on me..

How about the New Pyramid? It needs to be broken in as well before it'll slouch nicely? Does it apply to Venetas as well. Coz I tried all of them, somehow they all felt 'cramp'. I guess having fleshy arms doesn't help right?

I don't treat any of my bags. To hasten the break in process, hang up your full bag when you're not carrying it. Leather naturally stretches and by hanging a good bit of the time the handle will soften and lengthen.

To ferro sloane owners- the edges of the strips on my sloane sometimes have a little fraying, which is more noticable because the sides are whiter. Has anyone who has had a sloane for a while notice this? A little bit is okay but I am really worried that it will get worse.