Slim leg dress pants with a suit for a business formal interview?

Jun 26, 2007
I love the look of slim leg pants that hit just at or below the ankle. I feel like its more flattering than traditional trousers on me, and I think they look more modern.

Obviously I would style my suit a little more professionally - closed toe sensible pumps, and a proper blouse. (The pic is from Express, but you get the idea). And I would make sure the pants weren't super tight or anything. I'm not as tall as a fashion model, so I suspect the pants would be a little bit longer on me and not look as "cropped".

Or should I stick with a traditional straight-leg trouser with a longer inseam?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-09-28 at 4.15.14 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-09-28 at 4.15.14 PM.png
    148.8 KB · Views: 1,923
Jun 26, 2007
Oh right, I meant to put that in my original post but I guess I forgot. It's for a medical residency position.. post-graduate training after you graduate from medical school. The dress code for most of these interviews is "business"

schadenfreude

really
O.G.
Nov 13, 2007
Medicine may finally be evolving, but it is still a traditional field by and large. I would not deviate from a traditional suit, period. A formal interview for a residency spot is not the time or place for creativity. Appearing too fashion-y could actually hurt you if your interviewer questions your credibility and/or is otherwise alienated by your clothes... Because, remember, for the most part, your interviewers aren't going to understand what you're wearing (cropped pants = casual to most people, especially program directors and attendings, who are usually older) and so won't know how to interpret the messages you are sending. A trendy outfit says you might be a little immature, a little self-centered -- not the image you want to convey.

Jun 26, 2007
Medicine may finally be evolving, but it is still a traditional field by and large. I would not deviate from a traditional suit, period. A formal interview for a residency spot is not the time or place for creativity. Appearing too fashion-y could actually hurt you if your interviewer questions your credibility and/or is otherwise alienated by your clothes... Because, remember, for the most part, your interviewers aren't going to understand what you're wearing (cropped pants = casual to most people, especially program directors and attendings, who are usually older) and so won't know how to interpret the messages you are sending. A trendy outfit says you might be a little immature, a little self-centered -- not the image you want to convey.

Wow yeah I guess you are right. Didn't think about it like that. I do want to look modern and stylish but I don't want to run the risk of sending such messages. I just thought I could get away with a more slim-fitting suit as long as I balance out the rest of the outfit. But I will stick to a traditional suit. And it saves me money, because I already have one haha. Are you by any chance a doctor yourself? I know I should probably asked my advisor these type of questions but I wanted to also check with the fashion-minded people of TPF lol.

Last edited:

schadenfreude

really
O.G.
Nov 13, 2007
Wow yeah I guess you are right. Didn't think about it like that. I do want to look modern and stylish but I don't want to run the risk of sending such messages. I just thought I could get away with a more slim-fitting suit as long as I balance out the rest of the outfit. But I will stick to a traditional suit. And it saves me money, because I already have one haha. Are you by any chance a doctor yourself? I know I should probably asked my advisor these type of questions but I wanted to also check with the fashion-minded people of TPF lol.

I am a doctor and have interviewed tons of people -- for medical school, for residency, and for employment with my group. Once you get to this level, it's a different game. All the candidates are obviously intelligent and accomplished and successful, so often I'm just looking for fit -- how will the candidate get along with the existing people in the department, will the respective parties' needs get met, etc. We've turned down many candidates based on fit. Why risk your chances just to have a little fun with an outfit? Just aim for professional and neutral. Make sure your suit actually fits, wear closed toe heels you can comfortably walk in, only natural, tasteful makeup, etc.

Trust me..... there will be plenty of time to get creative later in your career. And it gets a lot more fun when you actually make good money as an attending. :smile: