Slight Etsy concern

Pinkpuff09

Sep 15, 2009
I just purchased a custom-made item from Etsy this morning, but I was a bit concerned because the seller has been a member since December 2009 but has no feedback... She has apparently sold items before but has not left/received any feedback. Should I be concerned? I have only bought from Etsy once before, so I don't have much experience with it... When comparing to ebay, are there as many possible scammers? She has been responding promptly, even after I made the payment. She said she is mailing it to me next week, and being the paranoid person that I am, I just wanted some more info on the sellers that are usually on Etsy. Also, do I have any sort of buyer protection?
Thank you!

I've been a seller and buyer on ETSY for almost four years, and as a buyer never had any problems. As with eBay, feedback on ETSY is optional, and so even if she's had sales, people may have just chosen not to leave feedback (or haven't left it yet). So long as she's been communicating and doesn't have any negative feedback, I wouldn't worry about it.

I've also been a very long term buyer on Etsy (since the beginning). I only had one problem once, when after almost 30 days the seller didn't send the item nor did she respond to any of my messages. So I opened a case with PayPal. She finally responded and sent the item.

But I've had a lot of transactions there (more than I've had on Ebay and I've been on Ebay longer) and besides that one thing, never had any problems. PayPal will give you buyer protection now (for both INR and SNAD).

I've found Etsy folks, for handcrafted stuff, to be very good. I'd just wait to see what you get.

For what it's worth, i've made about 20 sales and i've only got 9 feedbacks, multiple from the same buyer so in the end only about 5 users ever left feedback. Also it says i've been active since 2007 because I signed up in 2007, but I didn't start selling until a few months ago or using my account at all, so I don't think the year is an issue :smile:.

That makes a lot of sense, helium, I didn't think about the fact that if someone has been registered for a certain amount of time doesn't necessarily mean that they have been active since then..

I didn't even realize etsy HAD feedback until maybe a year or so of shopping there... they don't make it obvious to buyers that they should leave fb...