Home & Garden Sliding Barn Doors - Interior?

Sep 14, 2007
Does anyone have these? The people I bought the house from were old and lived on the first floor. They set up this back large room with a fireplace as a bedroom and I kind of like it that way. The one thing that's missing is a door in the hallway between the kitchen and this back bedroom. If someone sleeps over or my parents come up and want their privacy there really isn't much. I was thinking of having a sliding barn door installed. I am having trouble finding a source that's not a zillion dollars.

I love those doors. It seems like they are becoming more popular on decorating shows. I know I have seen sliding doors in Dwell magazine before. Perhaps you can check them out online. I know they are expensive. Would it be possible to hire a handyman to build you the doors? I think it could be done. If you look the doors are pretty simple along with the hanging hardware. Maybe there are sites that give you instructions on how to build them-so you can get an idea of it. Perhaps you can find sliding door hardward and buy some type of doors from Home Depot or a hardware store.

One house we looked at was done in a Japanese style and had many sliding doors made of wood and tinted glass. That was a nice look too. I think if you take your time you will eventually find a way to get the doors.
Good luck.

I love them too. I have a space I need to put two 3' ones, I just need to get around to it. I agree that the hardware is really $$....I need to find a good source.

A cabinetmaker can easily build the doors and trick them out however you like, or do them very simply. Slab doors (without the frames) are available at all the big box stores and sometimes you can find nice ones at Habitat for Humanity or an urban reclamation store, too...thats what I am keeping my eye open for ... something a little broken in that is different from the norm.

Last edited:
I think the question is how heavy is the door? So long as you provide adequate support I don't see why it wouldn't work. What kind hardware are you planning on using to hang the door?

I have to agree that finding a good carpenter might be your best bet. When we remodelled our kitchen, we considered a Dutch door. Ordering one from anywhere would have cost a small fortune, but our carpenter could have done it to order for 1/3 the price. We eventually changed our minds about the door and put back in the vintage door with windows in it, but our carpenter would have been a life-saver (and budget-saver!) for that door (like he was for many other issues).

This Old House on PBS just did a house in Bedford, MA and included old barn doors as pantry doors in the kitchen. They were beautiful and fit the old house perfectly.

We have pocket doors and I agree, any hanging/sliding doors are very pricey!
I also agree that hiring a carpenter to build on site will be your best bet :tup: