Skincare for men

JSH812

horses&hounds
Jan 23, 2008
wild&wonderful
Ok, so DH is up soaking in an epsom salts bath w/ the Queen Helene Mint Julep mask on.... :biggrin: (don't tell anyone, lol) but I was noticing how bad (I feel bad saying this) his pores looked while I was *helping* him put the mask on his face.

He uses a Clarisonic with Nivea for men facewash, but obviously he needs something a little stronger. (I just get the Nivea stuff at the drugstore). You guys might know how difficult men can be when it comes to having a facial regimen, but I'm surfing Sephora right now for a cleanser that would work for him.

Any suggestions on what your men use?

talexs

I Love It!!!!!
Jun 29, 2008
always in the office :(
My Dad uses the Anthony glycolic facial cleanser,every 2-3 days uses Lush Ocean Salt, and uses the Philosophy peel pads once a week (yes living with all women has made him very aware of his skin :P, probably also helps that we bought it all for him and were pretty much just like "Use this!") he also occasionally dabbles in The Body Shop Seaweed line. I think that this works for him bc it really isn't that hard. He is 51 and doesn't look it.

sagarika

Mar 8, 2010
skin care is essential for the present and the future.For these reasons alone, proper skin care is important. These tips will help you keep your skin in shape without making you spend hundreds of dollars on products.
1.Wash your facial skin with a mild soap such as Ivory. Do not use a deodorant or strong soap on your face. Use cold water to rinse.
2.One or two times a week, wash your face with lukewarm water and a deep cleanser.
3. Use a slightly wet washcloth, and gently work in the cleanser in a circular motion. Your pores will be cleaned out and your skin will feel better.
Hope my tips will help a lot.I wait for your feedback.Thanks
Discounted cosmetics

elle tee

Dec 6, 2006
nyc
My SO uses Lush Coalface soap and he loves it. He also uses Kiehl's blue herbal astringent which is his toner and aftershave, and Clinique Dramatically Different moisturizer or Kiehl's ultra facial cream (in the winter). He will use St. Ives apricot scrub a couple times a week.
The products he uses are mostly things that I bought for him, or things that I was using for a while and he started using and liked.
What I've noticed about him is that using the three steps (cleanse, tone, moisturize) has made a huge difference. The moisturizer was the biggest hurdle. He was really reluctant to use it- he didn't see why he couldn't use his regular body lotion on his face, lol! Another important change was replacing his shaving products- instead of horrible scented aftershave, he uses the Kiehl's toner; instead of a heavy aerosol foaming shave cream, he uses Kiss My Face which is much better for his skin. Also important for him has been using products that are right for his skin type but not too harsh. I feel like a lot of the guys I've known have not known a lot about their skin type, at least not the way that women do. They see acne, they buy acne products, etc., whereas women are more attuned to specific problems like oily, dry, blackheads, sensitive, etc. You might want to look at products from Clinique and Kiehl's- those two have the bonus of non-girly packaging so they are more guy-friendly. Since I "took over" his skin care, he has had way fewer breakouts and is very happy with his results!

JSH812

horses&hounds
Jan 23, 2008
wild&wonderful
^^ Don't I know it! Getting him to use moisturizer is such a battle with him!
I saw a few things by Clinique that I'm going to run out and get him today. I'm not a huge fan of their skincare line.... but maybe the stuff for men is better.

Sep 12, 2008
The clinique men's range is near enough the same as the women's.... just packcaged differently. (The lady on the counter here told me this, and also I have used both womens and mens ranges.)

Although I do like Clinique's anti-blemish solutions line. It's really effective. :biggrin:

I'm not a huge fan of their skincare line.... but maybe the stuff for men is better.

elle tee

Dec 6, 2006
nyc
The clinique men's range is near enough the same as the women's.... just packcaged differently. (The lady on the counter here told me this, and also I have used both womens and mens ranges.)

Although I do like Clinique's anti-blemish solutions line. It's really effective. :biggrin:
The Clinique anti-acne line is great! They make a spray for the back/chest that SO and I both use, it's fantastic for body acne.

JSH812

horses&hounds
Jan 23, 2008
wild&wonderful
I appreciate all of your suggestions! Thanks! I'm going to go get the Clinique stuff today JUST because he's leaving for a golf trip Thursday, so it will be the easiest thing to get. And I will continue to peruse Sephora's website! (The closest Sephora and Ulta are 3 hours away).

He's not acne prone though, it's just big pores.