Skincare for a 23 yo

fabchick1987

Oct 4, 2010
Hey guys. Lookin for some tips for skin care. I am 23 yo and don't really know what my skin needs. My skin is really weird in
That it's exptremely dry. But oily in certain spots. So neither a dry skin regimen or an oily regimen work because it just makes the other problem worse. And nothing that says combination works either. Also don't know if I should start antiaging products or eye night creams?? Please help. Also looking for products that aren't "too" expensive. Hehe :P

Eyecream: MUST! Go as high as your wallet allows.
Face: if combo creams don't work for you, then maybe you need two separate creams.
In really dry areas, usually cheeks, slap on OTC cream
In T-zone, go for a nice, light moisturizer. I recommend Lancome's HydraZen (La Mer's gel cream or La Prairie's Marine biology gel-cream are also excellent, but much more pricy...)

Hey, this is right up my alley! I'm 23 and have skin.

How much is your budget, and what is your current skincare and makeup regimen?

I ask because I don't know what is too expensive for you, whether or not a product you are using may be aggravating things, etc.

Usually I say the biggest benefit is getting things under control with a 3 step cleanser, toner & moisturizer regimen that works for you. Also, wear sunblock EVERYDAY; rain, shine, sleet, snow, indoor, outdoor, ALWAYS. Look for one with not just a high SPF but a high PA rating. UVA protection can be garbage in really high numbered SPF formulations because that number doesn't measure UVA protection. I LOVE Shiseido's SPF60 PA+++ sunblock; it lasts me 6+ months using it daily on my entire face and neck; it costs me $40 for 3.3oz. Then focus on good eye and face creams.

I'm 24, and this is what I do bascially every day

-use a face wash in the shower. Use a face scrub every other day, and a gentle cleanser on the "off" days.
-use a toner after I get out of the shower
-use a moisturizer after that (but avoid the eye area).
-apply eye cream to help prevent wrinkles
-apply makeup

once I get home:
-use a makeup remover wipe
-night moisturizer (it's important to re-moisturize after cleaning your face, since you strip it of it's oils)
-before bed over other night I apply toner

Get what you can afford, since something is better than nothing. I tend to use Clean and Clear/Olay face products, and I've yet to find an eye cream that I think really works yet, so I'm still bouncing around with different brands on that one. I also like to look at face products at TJ Maxx/Marshalls, since they'll have brand name products that I can try out without breaking the bank (like Peter Thomas Roth, Perricone, Cosmedicine, etc). I also use Boscia/Clean and Clear oil blotting sheets during the day since my skin is very oily, and they help a lot.

Im also in your boat, plus occasional break outs and extremely sensitive skin. On a day to day basis:
AM:
cleanser: peter thomas roth antiaging gel
moisturize: varies. all over: dior capture totale one essential or ole henriksen truth serum. where needed: perricone md moisturizer/ philosophy hope in a jar dry/sensitive skin.
eye: clinique or boscia eye cream
whatever makeup i decide to wear
PM:
cleanser: same. use with the clarisonic
moisturize: where needed
eye cream if i remember
30 minutes after washing i apply retin a.
Weekly: ddf clay mask/ fresh black tea mask (whichever is needed)

I absolutely recommend the clarisonic if you dont use one. Retin-a is useful if you have scarring/ discoloration. its also shown to decrease wrinkles and decrease your chance of getting skin cancer. it does not agree with everyone's skin and can cause dryness, redness or pealing. Also, dont use it if you are or plan on getting prego.

Thanks for the tips!! I am willing to spend a little bit of money. Im really not sold to any type of brand. I am also freaking myself about discoloration under my eyes more and I have a few wrinkles on my forehead. (probably from squinting since I always lose my sunglasses lol) and I notices some little wrinkles under my eyes. I dont know I just always look tired or my skin just isnt glowing!!! I dont really have problems with pimples but my skin does scar easily so whatever pimples I do have show up for awhile. Here is what I usually do, which isnt a lot:

Morning: MaryKay bar wash in shower
Mary Kay aging moisturizer
makeup when I feel like it or have time
Nighttime: Marykay bar when I remember
Mary kay moisturizer when I remember

I just bought some eye cream from CVS that is the CVS brand similar to the RoC products. Just bought it and thinking about taking it back to get a better one. The only reason why I use the mary kay is because my mom bought it for me and I wanted to get rid of it. Im not overly impressed with it due to the fact that my skin feels tight after I wash my face with the bar. The moisturiizer is ok but not fantastic. Dont know what else to do.

Is the bar wash like soap? Or is it intended for your face? One of the worst mistakes you can make for skin care is using a product that isn't intended for your face on your face. Body products don't typically have the ingredients needed in them to help your face out. Instead, they're filled wish harsher chemicals, and can actually cause more damage.

If you have discoloration, try using a toner. My face was very uneven before I started using one regularly, and using one has really helped to even out my skin tone! I use this one: http://www.drugstore.com/products/p...am=peter_thomas_roth_aloe_t&CAWELAID=60268329 and it's worth the money! I'm not sure if this is the type of discoloration that you're talking about though, is it just different skin coloring, or is it more noticeable than that?

I'd also get two different moisturizers, one for day and one for night. You don't need the SPF at night, and your body reacts differently when you sleep anyways. Also, do NOT leave the house if it's light outside with a nighttime moisturizer on! You'll do more harm to your skin that way. If it's still light outside and you put on a night moisturizer, wash your face and take it off first before leaving the house.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought Roc products were more of a treatment vs a prevention...I think you might need to exchange the CVS version of it, but I'm not 100%. At 23 you want to stop what's going on and prevent further wrinkles vs using a treatment for what you already have.

HTH!

No it is face soap. I dont really know if I have discoloration. My skin just doesnt "pop!". I was actually thinking about returning the eye treatment right after I got it. I only used it one and it felt watery??? Ive never used eye treatments so I am not sure how they feel but it seemed very watery.

I've never had an eye cream feel watery, all of the ones I've used are just a lighter consistency of a facial moisturizer. I'd definitely return it if it's watery!

i used to use the stuff at the department stores, even the really expensive moisturizers and eye creams but found they didn't work. i talked to my facial plastic surgeon who told me it was because they don't have active ingredients. apparently none of the department store stuff does. now i use stuff from her office and it not only keeps my face looking young and smooth, but my wallet appreciates it too! i've found that it's not the cost but the ingredients that are important. hope that helps.