skin problems

Hello I am having skin issues. Earlier this year I suffered from a SERIOUS breakout. I had acne on both sides of my face like never before. Now the acne has cleared up for the most part. However, I have post acne pigmentation marks. I am using Aveeno skin brightening daily scrub(which has helped a lot.) I am also on meds perscribed by my derm - tretinoin and clyndamyacin. However I still have these marks. I dont dare leave the house without makeup. The scrub has helped. I have no idea if tretinoin is helping. I need suggestions. TIA!

I can relate to you so much. I have been using the DDF glycolic cleanser and toner. I too have a topical (Azealic Acid) and have some oral meds as well. It seems as if my skin is evening out but of course I wish I had perfect skin like yesterday. Keep exfoliating and maybe some type of professional peel may help.

How long have you been on the tretinoin? It will take several weeks to see results so if you are just starting out on it, try to be a little more patient. Good luck!

Hmm - well the breakout was probably caused by the tretinoin because it makes your skin purge (pretty much any retinoid will do this) But if it's been 6 months and no results with the pigmentation issue, then it might be time to consider going back to the derm to try a new prescription retinoid. Has your skin broken out since then? And was your skin prone to break outs pre-tretinoin?

I did suffer from breakouts pre tretinoin but nothing like after for a while after starting it my skin was perfect and then one day bam i still get the occasional pimple but not breakouts just the pigmentation...has anyone had success with another retinoid

The post-inflammatory pigmentation will only go away with time. The retinoid will help, but nothing works as well as just waiting it out. Make sure to wear sunscreen when you're out in the sun because sun can cause the pigment spots to get darker.

I did suffer from breakouts pre tretinoin but nothing like after for a while after starting it my skin was perfect and then one day bam i still get the occasional pimple but not breakouts just the pigmentation...has anyone had success with another retinoid

Then it sounds like the tretinoin might be working if you aren't getting breakouts as much aside from the initial purging. The pigmentation is probably something you will have to wait out. My skin is sensitive and if I break out, it sometimes take a little while to get the discoloration to go away.

I have tried a couple different types of retinoids, but have been on the same one for 2.5 years now. It takes patience and trial and error, for sure. Maybe talk to your derm and get his/her thoughts as to if switching would work for you or if there is something else you can do to help with the pigmentation. Someone else mentioned a peel, which could speed the process up as well. Good luck!

Be patient. For the time being, make sure you're protecting your skin with an SPF or all this hard work will be for nothing! It sounds like your scars are gradually fading, so continue what you're doing, you cannot expect miracles.

For hyperpigmentation, you can try using hydroquine, i use 4% for dark spots, and its worked for me.. u just goto the pharmacy and get it.