Skin is ON FIRE when I moisturize... Help me!

jennums

Drinking Divas
Aug 8, 2008
I have dry/combination skin and I don't have any regular routine for skin care. I usually just wash my face with regular soap/water in the morning and in the evening. Then I would put lotion (usually Curel) on my face it was really dry.

I used to have bad acne when I was a teenager, I used Proactiv and my skin cleared up. Since then, I haven't had bad acne (except for the areas where my hair touches my face). I started to break out a little bit in my chin, so I bought some generic brand acne cream. Well I put it on my face and ever since then, I can't put ANY lotion on my face without my face burning! I've tried Clinique, Dermaquest, Murad, Jergens, Curel and Lubriderm. It's so painful!! :sad:

Without any lotion, my skin is so dry and tight and it starts to peel and be flakey. I have eczema on some parts of my face, so I've been using my prescription cream for those areas, but the cream dries out my face as well. It's like a lose-lose situation for me, no matter what I do, my face hurts. My skin is all blotchy and I can't even put any make-up on to cover it up.

Has anyone else ever had skin issues like this? Or does anyone have ANY suggestions for a moisturizer that I could use that won't burn my face? Your help is greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

What works great is clarins sensitive skin cream line. Regular soap is horrible for your face skin. I had a problem like that too, what happen was i used products that messed up my skin PH. so what i had to do was balance it back to normal. I swear by Clarins, my dermatologist told me about there sensitive skin line, it's pricey but works! Hope that helps! the only bad thing is now i'm a clarins addict :nuts:

I'll have to check it out. Unfortunately, my funds are fairly low this month... but if it works, I'm sure it will be worth it.

Right now I've been one of the Neutrogena Fresh Foaming cleanser because the regular soap makes my skin feel worse. The Neutrogena makes my face feel ok when I'm washing... but then it dries and it starts to burn again. :sad:

Olive oil. Mix sugar OR baking soda (2 tablespoons) with olive oil, enough to make a paste. I like to use sugar only when I need deep exfoiliating. You can just use olive oil, massage it into skin good, and rinse. Works awesome for my dry/oily acne-prone skin.

only use gentle and sensitive cleanser on your face for a few weeks or until the sensitive product is used up. I speak from experience, i never had skin problems until i moved to chicago and used harsh products. I had no health insurance, so my dermatologist was expensive, he told me to use product for sensitive skin till my symptoms went away. I think walgreens has aveeno which is all natural like clarins and it will not make you break out. Aveeno has a sensitive skin line. When my skin was acting up, it was painful and gross looking. The best of luck to you

try using coconut oil -- I too had the same problem, but natural oils work really well at both moisturizing and not irritating the skin.
There are other oils out there as well, but not only they more expensive, but the coconut oil smells great, moisturizes super well, and is VERY affordable.
Hope this helps! :biggrin:

I had eczema on my face about 10 years ago for about a month and I have to say the best thing to do is not to use anything. I tried all the creams (from Cetaphil to Shiseido)and just gave up and decided not use anything but vaseline (at night) and the prescription medication. I even gave up washing my face with cleanser and just used water. It was horrible looking like that for a month but it got better. Just stay out of the sun (as much as possible) and try to take more vitamins and drink lots of water. I would not recommend exfoliating at all until you are all healed up.

On the brighter side I had the best skin ever after that episode cause all the dead skin came off. Good luck and I hope you get better.

Thanks all! I think I'm going to try some of your suggestions. I would try using no products as missliu suggested, but I work as a receptionist and I need to be presentable. Everyone keeps telling me that I looked "tired" this week...which is basically just a nice way of saying that I look like crap, LOL!

I'll probably run to CVS or Walgreen's tomorrow to try some of the more affordable products for sensitive skin.

try bio-oil (it' wont clog your pores!!) or Aveeno, aveeno was my life saver when it was winter season and everything I put on my skin would hurt. I would use bio-oil and aveeno everynight!

This happened to me. I got a Clarisonic, switched around cleansers a few times, and my face would STING when I put cleanser on, and STING when I put moisturizer on.

The ones that I tried that didn't work were Cetaphil (which is kind of funny in my opinion because everyone always raves about how Cetaphil is perfect for sensitive skin. Not for me, I suppose) and Vichy Purete Thermal (also kind of funny because Vichy is supposed to be great for your skin, and this one was for sensitive skin.)

I won an Aveeno Calming Moisturizing Cleanser from Allure, so I tried it with my Clarisonic, and no stinging when I put it on my face, no stinging when I put moisturizer on, which is really exciting! Maybe you should try it? It's only $9, and if you get it from CVS and your skin doesn't like it, you can always return it.

Also, as for moisturizers, the only moisturizer that didn't sting for me was Pond's, which I still use on and off. It's great.

I've also been using Origins A Perfect World Green Tea moisturizer, and that hasn't been too bad either.

I hope this helps!

JENNUMS! Get your hands on a bottle of Trilogy Rose Hip Oil. Just apply a drop to the palm of your hands, massage/warm up & then onto the face every night. I promise you will believe in this stuff from the very next morning of using it.

Step away from all these Clinique products & whatnot; They are bound to cause further irritation.

Get your hands on a bottle of rose water, apply to a cotton pad & gently cleanse the face. Rose is well known for its anti flammatory properties & trust me, it works. You will immediately feel its cooling & soothing effect. Rose water will also restore your skins pH balance & will lightly exfoliate, removing all those dead, flakey skin cells.

Last edited:
oh my gosh ive been going through the same thing lately!!

i swear this happens to me at least 2 times every year, especially during the changing of seasons

my skin has been soooo dry and ugly the past couple of days especially my chin area.... its darkkkkkk red and itchy and tight and even 2 shades darker than my own skin color... i dont know what triggered it to be honest, but I've been putting calamine lotion on the area as I did the last breakout that I had but its doing no good... so I started massaging olive oil onto my skin... unlike you im too much of a vain person to go out without makeup and have still been wearing it though I know its bad for my condiiton but i swear there's still a difference with just two days of olive oil... leave it on overnight and dab some on when you go out... dont let it be obvious just massage well into your skin...

i bought an $18 aveeno moisturizer today but even that stung! im just using olive oil for now. LIFESAVER!

Some one in another post somewhere on here recommended Vanicream soap it's free of a lot of common skin irritants. I got it from Walgreens and it was like $3-4 for the bar and it works pretty good for me at least(I have sensitive skin that breaks out a lot and of products tend to make my face red or irritate it). They do have a moisturizer I think it was called Vanicream Lite that was designed for people with eczema that's about $12-13. I haven't tried it yet but I did read a lot of rave reviews for it on line, esp for people who's babies had eczema. It's relatively cheap it might be worth looking into.