Skin Care Routine for Long Haul Flights

bnjj

Jovi Junkie
O.G.
Apr 20, 2007
What do you all do for long haul flights to keep your skin from becoming completely parched?

I searched and there was a short thread on this that has not been posted in since 2007 so I thought I'd start a new one.

Lisa Eldridge has a great video about her skin care routine for long haul flights. The special effects are pretty cute too.

Do any of you follow a similar routine to Lisa's?

I have always taken lip balm and hand cream as i never leave home without them but I've never turned the plane into a spa before. I am planning to try this though the next time I fly. Hopefully the person beside me will not be giving me the side eye!

I liked this vid too. I don't fly a lot any more but I have a 45 minute commute and the vid inspired me to slather heavy cream on my hands and then put on latex gloves. I'm sure I look like a freak but my hands are super soft when I get to work :smile:

Saw this video a few weeks ago and some really great tips here which I am planning to use for a upcoming trip.
I usually do take my makeup off with cleansing wipes and put some moisturizer on, lip balm and hand cream but that's it.
I am on the look out more clear masks if anyone has any recs let me know.

My routine.
- change out contacts to glasses and remove makeup pre-boarding. Maybe add back some concealer if I have any areas of concern, but usually just bare face.
- put on thick coat of embryolise creme
Then I get on plane

Before landing, I wash my face in the restroom. In my bag I keep a ziplock bag of 2-3 surgical gauze pads into which I've pre-squeezed like a pea size amount of my foaming cleanser. When I want to use it, I just wet the pads and use to scrub my face and the cleanser foams up. The pads themselves add a bit of exfoliating action. I just have not found a makeup wipe that isn't too drying for me, so I make do with my own version of cleanser on gauze pads. It travels well.

Then add more embryolise and reapply concealer, blush (great for brightening up that death look I get after hours on a plane), eyeliner, and mascara.

Other flying habits I have are to carry an empty water bottle which I ask the flight attendants to fill for me so I don't have to keep flagging them down for water.

Also have a sleep mask and earplugs. Key to getting uninterrupted sleep.

Avoiding the super salty in-flight foods. (airplane food is extra salty because apparently the lower cabin pressure reduces taste bud sensitivity so food is prepared with extra salt/seasoning). I pack sliced cucumbers as snacks.

I know this seems like a lot, but this makes me feel much better on arrival.

I board with light makeup. At the end of the flight, I refresh by wiping my face with a damp cloth and adding moisturizer and eye cream. I apply makeup and lip balm, and fix my hair.

So not too much. I'd consider doing a mask, though, for a long flight.

I pack face masks, the Japanese sheet mask type. I put it on 1-2hr before landing when flying more than 6 hours :smile: I normally wear no makeup especially on international flights. I load up on moisturizer and drink as much water as I can on flight.