Skin care for 12 years old

I agree with everyone, take your child to a dermatologist! You can also get them started on premium skincare, such as Lancome's Hydra Zen or Shiseido's Ibuki, which are both meant for younger skin.

Reactions: staceyjan
when i was 12 I just used used clearisil/neutrogena products from cvs and target. My mom never took me to the dermatologist but i was very lucky that I just had sporadic pimples and never anything severe.

I had more adult acne (again, never anything severe) but did have break outs more often when I was in my early 20s a few years ago. I have found that using gentle products instead of anti-acne helped more. Not sure if that would help a teen tho....maybe the derm is a good idea if you can!

I went to my first Derm at 12. I wouldn't just keep putting various products on a child's face. It could make it worst. What works for others might not work for her and why make it worst.

Reactions: staceyjan
I went to my first Derm at 12. I wouldn't just keep putting various products on a child's face. It could make it worst. What works for others might not work for her and why make it worst.
I had cystic acne starting at 13-14 ish and been going to the same derm ever since I was 16! I am now 41 and he always said we will talk about the next stage when I'm in my 40's. So, I was ready and he said I do not need to do anything because I was using retina for so long that it does not look like I have a 40 yr old face. My 12 you have on the beach is starting to get at me along her hair line and when the time comes I will definitely bring her.

I agree with the comment about dietary changes and possibility of hormonal imbalance.

However visiting the dermatologist is an excellent route because it's best to catch these things before they get root.. having bad skin as a teen can kill their confidence for ever. Otherwise, something like Vichy is an excellent skin care brand-and cutting down on fried food and - sadly- chocolate. :sad:

My mom took me to see a derm for a few years and I hated it. I don't know if it ultimately helped my skin because I never had issues after I stopped seeing her when I was 13 after I put my foot down, but that's a whole different can of worms. It might be great for her, but if she is having issues please listen. At almost 27 I found myself hyperventilating when I received a gift card for a facial. I couldn't do it and gave it back.

At that age I stuck to Noxzema as a general everyday cleanser with a couple days of benzoyl peroxide based exfoliant during the week. I wish I hadn't done so much BP (rec'd by the derm, alongside SULFUR CLEARING MEDICATION that really burned me after I applied as she said and kept telling me to use it) because it is drying. Good for use on the zits that came up but she had me applying it to my face all the time. Ugh. I found that moving to gentler products made my skin a lot happier. I didn't really get acne with the exception of the rare ones on my hairline and of course the old classic forehead every now and then, but when skin is not overcompensating it generally evens out its oil production.

I did have bacne from having long hair that I typically wore down, so hair is often another thing to consider. And laundering bedlinens frequently.

My mom took me to see a derm for a few years and I hated it. I don't know if it ultimately helped my skin because I never had issues after I stopped seeing her when I was 13 after I put my foot down, but that's a whole different can of worms. It might be great for her, but if she is having issues please listen. At almost 27 I found myself hyperventilating when I received a gift card for a facial. I couldn't do it and gave it back.

At that age I stuck to Noxzema as a general everyday cleanser with a couple days of benzoyl peroxide based exfoliant during the week. I wish I hadn't done so much BP (rec'd by the derm, alongside SULFUR CLEARING MEDICATION that really burned me after I applied as she said and kept telling me to use it) because it is drying. Good for use on the zits that came up but she had me applying it to my face all the time. Ugh. I found that moving to gentler products made my skin a lot happier. I didn't really get acne with the exception of the rare ones on my hairline and of course the old classic forehead every now and then, but when skin is not overcompensating it generally evens out its oil production.

I did have bacne from having long hair that I typically wore down, so hair is often another thing to consider. And laundering bedlinens frequently.

Why were you so against someone trying to help you? And why so upset for a free facial?

Why were you so against someone trying to help you? And why so upset for a free facial?

Getting a facial was an extremely unpleasant experience. I asked her to not do certain things, or if she really wanted to pluck a hair to tell me. I do not like being surprised. She would also grab the Cosmo or whatever magazine I was reading and tell me how Neutrogena would f$&* up my skin so badly and I'd have to come back for so much longer.

I do not like being ignored when I tell someone that what they're doing to my face hurts. I remember her going at me with the extractor and telling me not to be a baby, that it didn't hurt. She said the redness would go down in a day, two days tops. I looked like a pizza that had been hit by a truck for like five days.

As for the facial, the esthetician I used to be taken to see would make fun of anything that she would see on my face. I didn't have a lot of acne, just the occasional one along my hairline or nose and of course the occasional honker in the middle of the forehead. It was incredibly strange. There were other teens (and adults with acne) who would see her, along with other clients and I always wondered if the clients my age were getting the same treatment.

I felt like for her being such a well-regarded esthetician I should have been able to speak up like I would with any service and to have her listen if something was causing a lot of pain.

As for my brows, I started doing it myself, first tweezing, then getting them waxed/threaded, then going back to DIYing them myself. I started doing my own extractions as well, so there's hope!