Sister sent off with the wrong shoe size from Paris

vilette21c

O.G.
Jun 23, 2008
SO my sister decided to drop by the Champs Elysees store on her last day before returning to the US not knowing the SA packed her the wrong shoe size. The SA brought out a 6 1/2 at first but my sister settled for a 5.5. The SA must have somehow forgotten to pack the right pair when she was packing everything. She called the LV customer service the day after she got home, went to 2 different stores, and lastly, called the flagship store in NY but told her she has to pay taxes in exchanges. I told my sister I don't think it's fair for her to pay taxes again since even though she didn't pay taxes in Europe, she declared everything coming home and still paid taxes at customs. Honestly, LV has been no help at all. I told my sister to maybe call the credit card company and see what they can do for her. Although the additional $40 is a small fee for the exchange, I think the fault was at their end. More annoying than the taxes is that they were not willing to meet my sister halfway or even apologize for the situation. I can't imagine how many tourists go through this. I am considering cutting my ties with LV. :yucky::annoyed:

Did the SA not let your sister inspect and check over the shoe before packing it? That not right if that was the case . However , if your sister was too trusting or in a rush so didn't check the item when presented with the opportunity to do so to save these sorts of instances from happening then maybe LV do have their argument it's not entirely there fault. If she never got the chance to check it then that's another matter. I would be annoyed.

I empathize with your frustration but since you can only rely on your sister's account of the story... you'll never know how this really played out at the CE store. My advice is to exchange the shoes for your size and pay taxes as requested. And then move on with your life by investing that energy into something more productive!

Errors are made. Things don't always work out perfectly. That's life. Focus on your beautiful items!

My Vernis Brea that I purchased in Spain had a hole in the seam at the bottom of the bag. I only noticed it one day when the bag was on the table and the seam was eye level. I took it back to a local US Store, they graciously accepted the bag but had to wait for news from their Quakity department as to whether it was repairable. It wasn't so, I could either exchange for the exact same bag and pay NO tax or get store credit and pay tax on my new items. I decided to get an Alma BB and a Louise clutch instead so I paid the extra cost and NYS tax. I guess in your case, they're considering that the size difference makes it not the same item for inventory purposes. If you like the shoe, focus on that. After a few experiences, I'm so anal about checking shoe sizes and security tags especially if I'm far from home.

My Vernis Brea that I purchased in Spain had a hole in the seam at the bottom of the bag. I only noticed it one day when the bag was on the table and the seam was eye level. I took it back to a local US Store, they graciously accepted the bag but had to wait for news from their Quality department as to whether it was repairable. It wasn't so, I could either exchange for the exact same bag and pay NO tax or get store credit and pay tax on my new items. I decided to get an Alma BB and a Louise clutch instead so I paid the extra cost and NYS tax. I guess in your case, they're considering that the size difference makes it not the same item for inventory purposes. If you like the shoe, focus on that. After a few experiences, I'm so anal about checking shoe sizes and security tags especially if I'm far from home.

I purchased an Agenda GM in Rome. It was defective, the binder rings did not fully close within a month of careful use. When I exchanged it, I had to pay US tax even though I had already declared and paid at US Customs (had purchased 4 items, hence the need to declare). LV still made me pay tax on the exchange. Two weeks ago in Paris, I purchased a Lockmeto in blue/red, am completely wishing I had gone with the black but because LV international exchange is so difficult, I will probably just keep the blue - gah. I guess in my mind I will now think of LV international purchases as final sale.

Reactions: MissK_Marie
This must be frustrating, for this reason I always inspect my items in a hotel room just to make sure because we all make mistakes..
My sister brought a wallet for me from Europe several years ago and it had an imperfection, not a defect. I brought it to my local store and they exchanged it for s new one, no additional charges. i had the same experience with Chanel once.
As mentioned by Fab, in your case it might be because it is technically a different item. I would contact the original store and they might arrange something for you if $40 worth the trouble.

Same thing JUST happened to me on Friday. I bought a bag in Paris, it was defective and broke the first time I wore it. It was either keep a defective bag or pay the taxes. I was extremely disappointed that I had to pay more for a defective bag!!!

Same thing JUST happened to me on Friday. I bought a bag in Paris, it was defective and broke the first time I wore it. It was either keep a defective bag or pay the taxes. I was extremely disappointed that I had to pay more for a defective bag!!!
Which bag did you buy and how did it break the first time you wore it?

I'm sorry this happened to anyone who had to pay taxes over top of taxes already paid. I went into the LV store in Canada with my friend as she wanted to exchange her Capucines for a larger size. It took almost 2 days but the manager came back saying they will need to charge tax if we are not exchanging exact same size. BUT if we exchange for the same size and then exchange that for a bigger size than it's ok the will charge tax only on the difference. Seemed like an extremely tedious way to complete a transaction but whatever needs to be done. The bag is almost $6K and it seemed ridiculous to pay 13% taxes on it after the declaring and customs to begin with. Needless to say it all ended well. Lesson learnt though.

TBH, I don't mind paying for the $40 for exchanging it, regardless of whose fault it is. What I am very disappointed with is the kind of customer service you get after the purchase. My sister probably has 50 plus pieces from LV, not to mention mine (more than hers :-s) and in this case, LV would rather lose me and my sister's business than find a resolution.

Reactions: NissePigen
TBH, I don't mind paying for the $40 for exchanging it, regardless of whose fault it is. What I am very disappointed with is the kind of customer service you get after the purchase. My sister probably has 50 plus pieces from LV, not to mention mine (more than hers :-s) and in this case, LV would rather lose me and my sister's business than find a resolution.
But I don't think they would really care if you never shop with them again they have plenty more other customers or potential ones to fill your shoes. They won't be losing sleep because you are boycotting them. Just pay it and move on. Lesson learn not to buy at that CE store again.