Singapore / Kuala Lumpur Shopping Recs?

Jul 4, 2009
Going in a few weeks. Would love to know if anyone has any recs out there - don't care about the luxury flagships (we have them here in NYC). Department stores (saw there is a Takashimaya!), indie boutiques, local/Asian designers boutiques, vintage/consignment shops. Thanks in advance!

Reactions: lulilu
I’ll be following this thread as well, as I will be visiting in a few months time. :smile:
I really enjoyed Takashimaya as there were some designers that don’t have a presence in Australia.

I’ve just started following a vintage store on Instagram called The Nee Vintage store - some of their vintage handbags look so lovely! I definitely added it as a location of interest.

Going in a few weeks. Would love to know if anyone has any recs out there - don't care about the luxury flagships (we have them here in NYC). Department stores (saw there is a Takashimaya!), indie boutiques, local/Asian designers boutiques, vintage/consignment shops. Thanks in advance!
I haven't been to Singapore in a couple years (due to pandemic), but last time I was there, my friends took me to this store called Naiise. It's super neat! It's basically an amalgamation of Muji, Anthropologie, IKEA, and probably a few other things. It's a bit overwhelming but in a really aesthetically pleasing way. The store has everything from gifts to clothes to furniture. I'm not sure if they have other locations (or even if this location is still open), but the one I visited was at the Cathay. The Cathay has a bunch of other cute shops you may like too. Anyway, hope you enjoy your trip!!

I’ll be following this thread as well, as I will be visiting in a few months time. :smile:
I really enjoyed Takashimaya as there were some designers that don’t have a presence in Australia.

I’ve just started following a vintage store on Instagram called The Nee Vintage store - some of their vintage handbags look so lovely! I definitely added it as a location of interest.
This place (the Née) sounds cool! I just checked out their website, but I'll have to remember to visit their showroom next time I'm in Singapore!

Midvalley Megamall has a lot of local Malaysian trinkets, designers and FOOD!!!!!!! Check out the basement level in particular for the food. It is also connected by walkway to The Gardens shopping, which is one of the luxe malls but also has some food and some stalls with Malaysian gifts eg. local soaps and oils.

Don't know much about Malaysian designers for fashion sadly, but will be following this thread for recommendations, too. It always just awes me so much when I land in Asia and see the enormous explosion of local designers and creativity around.

Singaporean fashion labels I know of include Our Second Nature, Love Bonito, Ong Shunmugam, Shanghai Tang (is that Singaporean?). There are many more. Taka is awesome to visit. G2000 is in both Singapore and KL for affordable workwear/day to night wear.

Have a great trip!

Midvalley Megamall has a lot of local Malaysian trinkets, designers and FOOD!!!!!!! Check out the basement level in particular for the food. It is also connected by walkway to The Gardens shopping, which is one of the luxe malls but also has some food and some stalls with Malaysian gifts eg. local soaps and oils.

Don't know much about Malaysian designers for fashion sadly, but will be following this thread for recommendations, too. It always just awes me so much when I land in Asia and see the enormous explosion of local designers and creativity around.

Singaporean fashion labels I know of include Our Second Nature, Love Bonito, Ong Shunmugam, Shanghai Tang (is that Singaporean?). There are many more. Taka is awesome to visit. G2000 is in both Singapore and KL for affordable workwear/day to night wear.

Have a great trip!
Thanks! Adding this all. Shanghai Tang is based in China (I've been to their flagships there). I had it on my list already since we don't have it in NYC. Same thing with Jim Thompson (i.e. Thai luxe silkwear), which also seems to have an outpost in Singapore. Also it seems Ong Shunmugam has been "cancelled" for being classist/racist: https://www.todayonline.com/singapo...ogises-race-related-remarks-acm-event-1855321.

Hi, here are my recommendations for Singapore. They have brick & mortar stores, but I don't recall the locations, so these websites should be able to provide more detail. Happy shopping and eating while in town!

Clothing:
Local designer with cool cheongsams: https://iwantthemissingpiece.com/collections/cheongsams
Boutique in a cute neighborhood that you might enjoy exploring: https://shop.nanaandbird.com/
Local company that makes very wearable clothing with clean lines: https://ingoodcompany.asia/

Housewares:
Locally-designed porcelain wares: https://supermamastore.com/

Last edited:
Reactions: NYYankeeGrl
In Singapore, visit Masjid Sultan area, ie Haji Lane, Arab Street, Bussorah Street, you’ll find small cute local boutiques and fabrics stores. For Malaysia, there’s Masjid India area

I would personally avoid a lot of the blogshop stores. A lot of their items are made in China and designed in China, despite what the shops claim - you see VERY similar styles, literally copies of each other being released by multiple brands within days/weeks of each other. Just very mass produced (often flimsy, thin) taobao items with a local label sewn on it.

Love Bonito is MAYBE one of the few exceptions.

Thanks for the tips everyone! I ended up buying some clothes from Our Second Nature (4 pieces), GINLEE (2 pieces) and The Form (1 dress that I'm slightly regretting). I definitely recommending going to TANGS department store, as they have an entire section dedicated to local designers, including many mentioned above.

I passed by Love, Bonito but was in a rush and couldn't make it in, but the styling in the windows didn't really make the clothes look that good :-X. Regretting not going in though, especially after the last post!

Thanks for the tips everyone! I ended up buying some clothes from Our Second Nature (4 pieces), GINLEE (2 pieces) and The Form (1 dress that I'm slightly regretting). I definitely recommending going to TANGS department store, as they have an entire section dedicated to local designers, including many mentioned above.

I passed by Love, Bonito but was in a rush and couldn't make it in, but the styling in the windows didn't really make the clothes look that good :-X. Regretting not going in though, especially after the last post!
Hope you had fun shopping (and eating! :nuts:) in Singapore! I love TANGS and have fond memories of my mom buying us clothes during our younger days. I'll have to check out the brands you'd mentioned during my next visit!

I really like the Kwanpen shop in the Marina Bay Sands Mall. I have an Hermes Porosus Croc B25 and a Kwanpen Pyxis Hnadbag in Etoupe Nilocitus. Both are beautifully crafted bags. However, the Hermes was easily 5 times more expensive than the Kwanpen.

CD6727BE-F964-430A-8BE7-5DDC69A58B04.jpeg

• Insightful
Reactions: 880
Most local designer boutiques are scattered around Kuala Lumpur so they are a bit hard to reach.
Bangsar may be a better place to check out smaller independent, upmarket boutiques than the major malls (Bangsar Shopping Centre, Bangsar Village)
Local Malaysian brands to check out:
Malaysia actually has a fairly large footwear manufacturing industry so there are many affordable shoes available although the brands may not be well-known.

Hope that helps!

Reactions: 880