• 10 step Korean system

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Simplified to 4-6 steps

Votes: 13 61.9%
  • I have no beauty routine as such - just random products

Votes: 7 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I try to keep mine simple, but I am VERY happy with my routine, although there are a few products that I am questioning whether I need. I have such a varied mix of high end and low end that works for me.

AM:
Cleanser: Chanel La Mousse
Toner: Neutrogena Alcohol-Free Toner
Antioxidant Serum: Cosmedix Affirm
Eye Cream: The Inkey List Caffeine Eye Serum
SPF: Mecca To Save Face SPF50+ Superscreen
...then makeup (5-6 days a week, otherwise, if I'm staying at home, then I remove the SPF and add The Ordinary Natural Moisturising Factors)

AM (Mon/Thurs):
Cleanser: Nip + Fab Glycolic Fix Scrub
... then rest of AM routine is the same

PM:
Cleansing Oil: Simple Hydrating Cleansing Oil
AHA: Nip + Fab Glycolic Fix Gentle Pads
Facial Spray: Mario Badescu Facial Spray with Aloe, Herbs and Rosewater
Retinol Serum: Estee Lauder Advanced Night Repair
Eye Cream: Olay Pro-Retinol Eye Treatment
Moisturiser: The Ordinary Natural Moisturising Factors

Sunday Pamper Routine:
Mask: Caudalie Instant Detox Mask
Facial Oil: Sunday Riley Juno Antioxidant + Superfood Face Oil

I feel bad that I only use Juno once a week and I have the 35mL size which will take me forever to use up and I also have the Estee Lauder Advanced Night Repair Recovery Mask-in-Oil that I bought for a steal at Winners in Vancouver when I was travelling but don't know how to incorporate it into my routine.

Any suggestions on what to do with these latter two oils would be appreciated!

I actually made my beauty routine more complex. I've been blessed with great skin and for years did nothing except wash my face with Neutrogena soap. Now that I'm in my 40's, I need to start taking care of my skin (should have done it earlier). Now, I use the Clinique 3 step system for dry skin ( cleanser, toner and moisturizer) plus a serum in the AM. In the PM, I use the serum and a clinique night repair cream. I am allergic to every facial product I've ever tried but Clinique seems to work for me. I've bought korean "essence" and "serum" but the jury is still out on whether it works and I still can't figure out it it makes my skin better/worse. I do use a korean gel mask 2x month and have found success there..

I'm on the lookout for an eye cream - Clinique actually doesn't work for me in this instance. Have tried several other expensive and non expensive brands (have quite the collection going) but sadly, I'm allergic to most.

The disadvantages of dept store skincare is that you’re paying for their brand, advertising, fragrance and packaging. Most of the “high end” products have very little “active” ingredients. Plus you have a SA who needs to make goals $....some like it, some don’t.
I really like The Ordinary and Paula’s Choice for front up info on ingredients.

Is anyone simplifying their beauty routines for 2020 or are people still doin the 10 step Korean system?

Guilty :blush:.... But I like to think mine is a lot simpler these days. After over three decades, I finally found a routine that works for my very oily yet easily dry-out skin:yahoo: The steps look like a witches brew for someone with a teenage angst and pre-menapousal skin...:lol::lol::lol::lol:. Here it goes:
Evening - Proactiv Deep Cleaning Wash to clean (if using makeup, I use any cleansing wipes beforehand), Shisedo White Lucent Balancing Softener as toner, and its Brightening Moisturizing Emulsion as moisturizer.
Morning - Any antibacterial soap and warm water to wash, and Mineral Fusion SPF40 for daytime moisturizer.
That is it.

Reactions: ladysarah
I try to keep mine simple, but I am VERY happy with my routine, although there are a few products that I am questioning whether I need. I have such a varied mix of high end and low end that works for me.

AM:
Antioxidant Serum: Cosmedix Affirm
Eye Cream: The Inkey List Caffeine Eye Serum
SPF: Mecca To Save Face SPF50+ Superscreen
...then makeup (5-6 days a week, otherwise, if I'm staying at home, then I remove the SPF and add The Ordinary Natural Moisturising Factors)

AM (Mon/Thurs):
Cleanser: Nip + Fab Glycolic Fix Scrub
... then rest of AM routine is the same

PM:
Cleansing Oil: Simple Hydrating Cleansing Oil
Retinol Serum: Estee Lauder Advanced Night Repair

Sunday Pamper Routine:
Mask: Caudalie Instant Detox Mask
Facial Oil: Sunday Riley Juno Antioxidant + Superfood Face Oil

I feel bad that I only use Juno once a week and I have the 35mL size which will take me forever to use up and I also have the Estee Lauder Advanced Night Repair Recovery Mask-in-Oil that I bought for a steal at Winners in Vancouver when I was travelling but don't know how to incorporate it into my routine.

Any suggestions on what to do with these latter two oils would be appreciated!
Oh my God, is this a simple routine? I dread to imagine how a complex one looks like :amazed:

I am very bad with my skins and skin routines. They bore me to death. So around this time of year I am always making resolutions to be better. Discovering The Ordinary this year has been a big improvement. I am weary of putting too much stuff in my skin and of acids as I believe it can be counterproductive in the long run. My main good intentions this year are to make sure to regularly use the NuFace thingy, the Clarisonic brush, and the Dr DG led mask I invested on.
Anyone has experience with integrating those into the routine?

My beauty routine has remained the same over the last few years:
Morning: Wash with soap and water and moisturize. (I have a rosewater toner but I sometimes forget/skip this part.)
Evening: Same as morning. :smile:
This year, I would like to start using a face mask once a week and maybe get a facial done once a month.

Reactions: ladysarah and doni
Oh my God, is this a simple routine? I dread to imagine how a complex one looks like :amazed:

I am very bad with my skins and skin routines. They bore me to death. So around this time of year I am always making resolutions to be better. Discovering The Ordinary this year has been a big improvement. I am weary of putting too much stuff in my skin and of acids as I believe it can be counterproductive in the long run. My main good intentions this year are to make sure to regularly use the NuFace thingy, the Clarisonic brush, and the Dr DG led mask I invested on.
Anyone has experience with integrating those into the routine?

:lol:

I don't think it's that bad considering I only have one cleanser, toner and moisturiser. They are the basics of skincare that are essential to looking after your skin in your 20's. I don't spend as much on these, although the Chanel cleanser lasts me a good 9-12 months.

I also only have one physical exfoliator, sunscreen and clay mask (used weekly) and don't deviate from this.

However, the most important thing going into 30's, 40's and onwards are focusing on serums/actives and eye creams. That's probably where it gets more complicated, yet determines how your skin will look long-term.

That's why I buy a caffeine eye cream for AM for brightening, de-puffing and moisturising and retinol eye cream for PM for fine lines and wrinkles, although I don't have any crow's feet. Retinol is drying, so I can't use it in the AM because it makes my concealer look very dry and cakey.

Otherwise you only need 2-3 serums: Vitamin C/Antioxidant for AM and Retinol/Retinoid for PM, plus a Facial Oil for brightening, even tone, etc if required. Strengths will vary so you need to make sure you get one that is suitable for your skin type and is ideally non-comedogenic.

Admittedly, I probably need to cull a few serums which is why I am going to get rid of the Estee Lauder ANR Mask-in-Oil because it has no purpose. The jury is still out on the Sunday Riley Juno Facial Oil too, so I'll keep using it and see. But it's definitely brightening!

I have also noticed massive differences by using AHA wipes and the Mario Badescu spray, so I can't stop now. I get my acids from the exfoliator and the AHA wipes, which are both glycolic acid.

If I ever get complimented by someone, it's usually on my skin or how I look good for my age. So I must be doing something right. ;)

I have read some skincare routines on The Ordinary Facebook groups and you will learn very quickly how many products some people will purchase and use on their face. :lol:

I think it's easy to go overboard when a company like them has so many products where most are pure in form (eg: Lactic Acid, Hyaluronic Acid, Niacinamide, etc), so to get all the benefits, you have to layer them, which is how people end up with 10+ step routine.

But then again, everyone's skin is different, so their routine will be different.

Reactions: ladysarah and doni
Well, it seems that my beauty routine is getting more complex with all the "new" skin care solutions available
in the marketplace.
I have started to incorporate several beauty tools which are working & I adjust what I need to use on my face
according to my skin.
Cleansing, toning, essence, serums,exfoliating, masques, moisturizers, retinol & vitamin c all get included somehow into
my routine.
There seems to be a lot of buzz about "glowing skin" & not the need for so much makeup of yesteryear..

My skincare routine is quite simple, I try to use as much organic products as possible to minimize chemical absorptions.

Cleanse : weleda almond oil or Cattier micellar water.
Tone: rosewater
Serum / treat : rosehip oil
Moisturise : rose cream baie boutanique
Sunscreen: whamisa sun protection cream 50

I do 2 masks per week, a homemade mask with pink clay and a peeling mask using the Ordinary AHA 30% + BHA 2% Peeling Solution.

This routine seems to have improved my skin condition, small wringles are diminishing slowly slowly. :smile:

I've never had an extensive skin--care routine nor wear much makeup.
AM: splash face with water or wash with bar of soap in shower, use clinique all about eyes rich eye cream, and mix my own BB/CC cream with Neutrogena face lotion (includes spf) and a Neutrogena foundation.
PM: wash face with aveeno cleanser or bar of soap in shower. Eye cream again, and Embryolisse lait creme concentre.
I usually break out after getting a facial or if I try to add much else to the routine. I just turned 50, but many friends thought I was turning 40, and I still get carded 1-2 times per year. I think that's luck and genetics more than anything, but I wonder if my years of minimal skin care actually help. I don't do too much to it, so I don't have that much to undo later. That said, I love seeing what other people do and getting ideas, even if I never use them.

Thank you to everyone for posting their views. @MinaAnais i also try to minimise irritants. Excessive packaging is something I try to keep down. It’s wasted money and is polluting for the environment. @Love Of My Life yes it’s all about care now but according to various sources (and an article from NYT : too many steps are torture for the skin.)

Thank you to everyone for posting their views. @MinaAnais i also try to minimise irritants. Excessive packaging is something I try to keep down. It’s wasted money and is polluting for the environment. @Love Of My Life yes it’s all about care now but according to various sources (and an article from NYT : too many steps are torture for the skin.)

I think that everyone has to know what works for their skin.I have sensitive skin & the products
that I have been using for several years work well. I slowly incorporate any new product into my skin care
routine with research not just for the sake of trying something that's touted
Most derms will say sun block & some type of retinol is best for protection & wrinkles..
Perhaps retinols, exfoliants & aha's that are used more frequent will case irritation to the skin.
I also will say that I am drawn to luxurious pacaking as well as luxurious quality skin care & I much
prefer glass jars & bottles to plastics & other synthetics
Cleansing as we all know is the most important...

Reactions: jyyanks
I think that everyone has to know what works for their skin.I have sensitive skin & the products
that I have been using for several years work well. I slowly incorporate any new product into my skin care
routine with research not just for the sake of trying something that's touted”...

Agree 100% with this statement. Different products/brands work for different people. I don’t want to have to spend more money on a product just because of its name but I’ll spend whatever I have to if it works for me. I have tried different products - expensive and inexpensive —and for whatever reason Clinique is one brand that doesn’t irritate my skin (except for their eye cream)

Reactions: piperdog