Silly Things You Thought as A KID..

May 7, 2007
I remember when I was a kid.. I used to think that Black and White movies were really black and white in real life... I thought life was all in black and white back then.... :faint: :Push:

And when my mom had a credit card, I thought it was free money.. Like you could buy anything with a little piece of plastic without paying anyone back...

I used to think you could be anything you wanted when you grew up...as in, you could change species. So when people asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up, my answer was always "a horse", since I've always had a really unhealthy love of horses. There was a point when I wanted to be a horse so badly that I would get physically upset and cry over it, and other times I would just annoy my mom with completely saying things like "WHY DIDN'T YOU MAKE ME A HORSE?" One day, after lots of crying, she put some juice in a cup and told me that if I drank it, I would turn into a horse and I could go live in the stables with the other horses. Of course, I was like 3 and the thought of not living with my parents and brother scared me to death, so I was like, "nevermind...I don't want to be a horse anymore". It was a really risky move on her part but it totally worked.

so many stupid things i thought- i thought that police read about crimes in the paper and THEN did something about them. i also thought that underneath hills there were like tall people standing in line holding up the earth. ummmmmmmm what else did i think? oh yeah, i couldnt get around my head for the longest time that in the whole world, there were only boys and girls and thats it. like it just seemed like there were SO many people and it seemed so boring to just have them be either boys or girls.

so many stupid things i thought- i thought that police read about crimes in the paper and THEN did something about them. i also thought that underneath hills there were like tall people standing in line holding up the earth. ummmmmmmm what else did i think? oh yeah, i couldnt get around my head for the longest time that in the whole world, there were only boys and girls and thats it. like it just seemed like there were SO many people and it seemed so boring to just have them be either boys or girls.

aww..you were so progressive!

I used to think you could be anything you wanted when you grew up...as in, you could change species. So when people asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up, my answer was always "a horse", since I've always had a really unhealthy love of horses. There was a point when I wanted to be a horse so badly that I would get physically upset and cry over it, and other times I would just annoy my mom with completely saying things like "WHY DIDN'T YOU MAKE ME A HORSE?" One day, after lots of crying, she put some juice in a cup and told me that if I drank it, I would turn into a horse and I could go live in the stables with the other horses. Of course, I was like 3 and the thought of not living with my parents and brother scared me to death, so I was like, "nevermind...I don't want to be a horse anymore". It was a really risky move on her part but it totally worked.
OMG thats so funny.. Its weird when we thought of something in a different perspective... So innocent..

You know how, at the end credits of shows, they always list the Costume Designer?

Well, I thought that 'costume' was more involved than just the clothes. Like, after the Brady Bunch was done filming, Robert Reed would step out of his full-body Mike Brady costume.

When I was around elementary school age, I thought mannequins in stores were actually dead people. I told my mom I wanted to be a mannequin when I died. She insisted that they were "dummies" not real people but I didn't believe her.

I think I got the idea after seeing House of Wax with Vincent Price or something like that.

When I was around elementary school age, I thought mannequins in stores were actually dead people. I told my mom I wanted to be a mannequin when I died. She insisted that they were "dummies" not real people but I didn't believe her.

I think I got the idea after seeing House of Wax with Vincent Price or something like that.
OMG... LOL, you wanted to be a mannequin..

I used to think that seeds could grow in your stomach. so for like the longest time ever, I believed that I had an apple tree, an orange tree, a watermelon tree and a whole slew of other stuff growing in my stomach and thats why I always hungry cause the plants were eating my food.

yeah..I had a wild imagination

OMG! I thought the same thing about black and white movies! In fact, I used to refer to my parents' childhoods as "the black and white days"! LMAO!!!

I also thought that the cracks in the ground were from the devil trying to come up through the dirt. :devil:

I thought that TRIAL size products were actually TRAIL size products so that you could take them on the trail when you went camping or hiking. The products are small...it makes sense...sort of!:roflmfao:

I thought football players in the huddle were having "regular" conversations...meaning they were talking about what they had for dinner, what TV shows they watched, etc....not calling plays.

I thought that the musicians that played on the radio...actually played their song at the radio station and if you drove by a radio station, there would be a long line of people holding various instruments...ready to play their song

Great thread! :yes:

I used to think that seeds could grow in your stomach. so for like the longest time ever, I believed that I had an apple tree, an orange tree, a watermelon tree and a whole slew of other stuff growing in my stomach and thats why I always hungry cause the plants were eating my food.

yeah..I had a wild imagination

I always thought this as well and would go into a complete panic if I swallowed a seed.

I also remember when my Mum was learning to drive and she had an L plate on the car - I knew the L meant Learner. Then when she got her license she had a P plate on the car, this really threw me as I then thought it meant that she had Pearnt to drive - it was quite some time before I realised it meant she was on a Provisional license :shame: and there was no such word as Pearnt!

And when my mom had a credit card, I thought it was free money.. Like you could buy anything with a little piece of plastic without paying anyone back...

OMG I actually just noticed this and I kind of thought a similar thing when I was little too. I grew up in the Middle East, so there was always lots of talks to visas (the traveling kind), because you needed one to go to Europe and pretty much anywhere outside the region. I remember being in Austria when I was six when my parents offhandedly mentioned their Visa (credit card) and I noticed them using it a lot during that trip, so I thought that the whole applying for a visa thing everyone kept talking about actually meant you entered a contest where, if you won, you could use this card to go go somewhere on a trip and then use it to buy as many things as you wanted while you were there. It's so ridiculous thinking about that now.

LOL. These two pretty much made my night:

I thought football players in the huddle were having "regular" conversations...meaning they were talking about what they had for dinner, what TV shows they watched, etc....not calling plays.

I also remember when my Mum was learning to drive and she had an L plate on the car - I knew the L meant Learner. Then when she got her license she had a P plate on the car, this really threw me as I then thought it meant that she had Pearnt to drive - it was quite some time before I realised it meant she was on a Provisional license :shame: and there was no such word as Pearnt!

There is this one episode of This American Life that is about ridiculous things that you thought as a child and you kept thinking until you grew up. I'll see if I can go find it on the website now because it's so entertaining.

EDIT: It's here: http://www.thisamericanlife.org/Radio_Episode.aspx?sched=1251 and it starts at about the 4 minute mark.

Last edited:
I used to think white mommies had white milk and black mommies had chocolate milk, I also thought that woman had to eat baby seeds to get a baby in their tummy. wow I was really confused lol